Bent push rod.

Chris4459

Forum Newbie
Threads
Push rod replacement

my craftsman lt 1000 starts, runs and and shuts down after about 5 seconds. Just replaced alluminum push rod as the old one was bent..not sure if i am adjusting valves wrong or what else it could be.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The most common cause of bent push rods on Briggs engines is the valve guides in the head move out toward the rockers due to overheating of the head. other times there is no cause to be found.

gregjo1948

Threads
Push rod replacement

my craftsman lt 1000 starts, runs and and shuts down after about 5 seconds. Just replaced alluminum push rod as the old one was bent..not sure if i am adjusting valves wrong or what else it could be.

More info would help.Sounds like you may be running out of fuel.If your valves are too far out of adjustment, it wouldn't run at all. Check fuel flow to the carb. Try leaving the choke on when it starts to see if it runs or if it floods out. I'm not sure if your engine is equipped with an electric fuel solenoid but if so, it may be faulty. In addition to what ilengine said, carbon can build up on the exhaust valve enough to cause it to stick and lead to a bent push rod. You didn't say which valve had the bent push rod. gregjo1948