Export thread

Belt keeps coming off

O

Oldschool1959

So went to start up the 2014 Hustler Raptor SD 48" cut mower for Springtime and low and behold it won't start. It has 53 hours on it and was purchased last last year about this time. So in the shop she goes and somehow the linkage to the choke was bent just enough it wasn't able to close. Fixed it and called me to pick it up. Brought it home on Monday afternoon and today started it up, backed it out of the shop, dropped the deck and engaged the blades and WHAM. Throws the belt. So I get under the damn thing, take off the plastic covers and the belt is intact. The guide is all the way out of its bracket and the spring is off. So it goes back in the guide slide, back on goes the belt, and I finally get the spring back on. Put everything back together and back out of the shop she goes. Drop the deck, engage the blades cut 1 row about 20 feet and BAM the belt comes off again. So I wonder why in the hell didn't the Hustler dealer at least check it out before he called me back to tell me the mower was ready for summer. All he had to do was run it 2 minutes and the belt would have went out.
Now I have to drive an hour to the dealership, It better be warranted, and get them to find out what is wrong with the deck. Looking at the spring holders they are already worn a quarter through which tells me this part is CHEAP.
I hope before Monday I am calmed down enough to talk to them. This is ridiculous. 54 hours and treated like a baby, and this.
STUPID!
Ready to sell this thing and buy something else.
Do other dealers take these as trade ins? Mine is paid for so I do have that going for me, I hope.

gfp55

gfp55

Did you read the post about the Raptor with 3.5 hours and the belt that goes to the hydro pump broke. You may want to trade it in I'm sorry to say. Read some of the other posts on this and other forums and you will see a trend with the newer stuff that is supposed to be better then all the older machines.

O

Oldschool1959

Did you read the post about the Raptor with 3.5 hours and the belt that goes to the hydro pump broke. You may want to trade it in I'm sorry to say. Read some of the other posts on this and other forums and you will see a trend with the newer stuff that is supposed to be better then all the older machines.

With the prices is it feasible to trade these in? Does the dealer do that?

gfp55

gfp55

With the prices is it feasible to trade these in? Does the dealer do that?

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that one, you might try calling some dealers and ask them if they can help you. If you can find a dealer that will, I would not go with the same brand because you may have the same problem, (poor design, poor quality, etc. Good luck Keep us updated on what you end up doing.

Tomster

Tomster

What!? A Raptor belt broke on a different mower and now he needs to trade it in? That makes absolutely no sense. See what your dealer says about the issue and see if there is a solution.

1striper1

What!? A Raptor belt broke on a different mower and now he needs to trade it in? That makes absolutely no sense. See what your dealer says about the issue and see if there is a solution.

Whether it makes sense or not...it's HIS money to do with what he pleases! I made a BAD decision last year on my XOne and can't afford to take the hit on trade that I would. IF I could afford it I wouldn't even be posting this because the XOne would be GONE and either a Ferris or Bad Boy would be in the garage waiting to mow!

Whether it's an ATV, boat or mower internet forum, I just hate it when a guy gets derided for wanting to do "something" and the keyboard heroes blast him. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY SO STFU!

Sorry for the rant......

O

Oldschool1959

Whether it makes sense or not...it's HIS money to do with what he pleases! I made a BAD decision last year on my Xone and can't afford to take the hit on trade that I would. IF I could afford it I wouldn't even be posting this because the XOne would be GONE and either a Ferris or Bad Boy would be in the garage waiting to mow!

Whether it's an ATV, boat or mower internet forum, I just hate it when a guy gets derided for wanting to do "something" and the keyboard heroes blast him. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY SO STFU!

Sorry for the rant......

LOL Thanks for the backup. I bought this less than a year ago and its been in the shop 4 times already for different things. I am ready to move to another brand. I told the shop manager that today at the Hustler dealer. He assured me my mower was a fine one and Hustler would back it up with their warranty. I told him the warranty was great, but I was tired of using it all the time. If the damn thing is always in the shop what good is it. I will be looking to trade it as soon as I take possession of it again. Its still being repaired but is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I am thinking of definitely getting another brand for sure. I have the money so thats not the issue. Although a trade in would be nice.

1striper1

LOL Thanks for the backup. I bought this less than a year ago and its been in the shop 4 times already for different things. I am ready to move to another brand. I told the shop manager that today at the Hustler dealer. He assured me my mower was a fine one and Hustler would back it up with their warranty. I told him the warranty was great, but I was tired of using it all the time. If the damn thing is always in the shop what good is it. I will be looking to trade it as soon as I take possession of it again. Its still being repaired but is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I am thinking of definitely getting another brand for sure. I have the money so thats not the issue. Although a trade in would be nice.

No problem! It's easy for me...maybe too easy......to just say what I feel. But whatever...

Most any dealer will take any brand in trade. Don't you have a reputable dealer closer to you and if so, what brand(s) do they sell?

O

Oldschool1959

No problem! It's easy for me...maybe too easy......to just say what I feel. But whatever...

Most any dealer will take any brand in trade. Don't you have a reputable dealer closer to you and if so, what brand(s) do they sell?

We have a dealer in the area that sells Gravely, Hustler, Toro, and Ferris. They are within 20 minutes of my home. Been there for many many years. I bought the Hustler Raptor SD from another Hustler/Toro dealer a little further away because he gave me a better deal by $250.00

B

bertsmobile1

And now he is making that up on services.
Abiet you are not paying but some one is.
Not an uncommon ruse with not quite as honest dealers as one would hope to be tading with .
Get a warranttee job in . 1/2 do the repair and ignore several other problem so the mower will come back again , and again & again for another warrantee or full price repair.

Belts only come off for two reasons.
Too loose - fixed by modifing the tensioning system &/or changing the belt size
Out of alignment - fixes by shimming / packing / or repositioning.

Got a commercial customer, a real good payer because of the same thing , the drive belt continually fell off.
Fitted a longer belt so the belt ran further around the tensioning pulley and moved the anchor spring to compensate for the different position of the tensioning pulley arm.
There was even a convienant hole in just about the right spot, which made me wonder about the dealers warrantee service.
Free service is nice but it does not compensate for a team sitting on their butts because the machine is in the shop.

Did another that had a transmission problem ever since new, been into the dealer for ages and finally sold second hand to my new customer.
Tensioner arm was in backwards so it pulled the belt away from the engine & left pump pulley thus the right was always much stronger than the left when under load.
On the flat carpark of the shop it tested perfectly. In the field it was almost impossible to control and when really under heavy load went absolutely no where.

Two different brands of mower from two different big advertising big showroom dealers , both of which did 10% less than your best quote deals & offered higher trade in values.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes the old "Magic Pudding syndrome "
Does not exist.
You only get what you pay for and the further the price comes down, the cheaper the mower is made.
I call it the urban Yuppie Syndrome.
Ever year eyery body seem to expsect to get paid more for doing exactly the same amount of work they did the year before.
Yet the said same people expect the every thing they consume will get cheaper every year.

I might be really thick, but I just don't see the logic in this belief.

O

Oldschool1959

Yes the old "Magic Pudding syndrome "
Does not exist.
You only get what you pay for and the further the price comes down, the cheaper the mower is made.
I call it the urban Yuppie Syndrome.
Ever year eyery body seem to expsect to get paid more for doing exactly the same amount of work they did the year before.
Yet the said same people expect the every thing they consume will get cheaper every year.

I might be really thick, but I just don't see the logic in this belief.

Not sure if you are talking to me or not. But paying $4000.00 for a mower that you expect to perform better than a Troy Built isn't unexpected.

On another note the dealers service dept just called and said there were gum balls on the deck and that was the problem. WRONG. I told him he better check it again because when I took it in the deck was CLEAN! What the hell is going on at this dealer? Anyway I told him there was something terribly wrong with the deck in that it has way to much vibration once the blades are engaged. Someone there is going to earn their money on this machine, then I am going to trade it, possibly on a Gravely or Ferris.

1striper1

Not sure if you are talking to me or not. But paying $4000.00 for a mower that you expect to perform better than a Troy Built isn't unexpected.

On another note the dealers service dept just called and said there were gum balls on the deck and that was the problem. WRONG. I told him he better check it again because when I took it in the deck was CLEAN! What the hell is going on at this dealer? Anyway I told him there was something terribly wrong with the deck in that it has way to much vibration once the blades are engaged. Someone there is going to earn their money on this machine, then I am going to trade it, possibly on a Gravely or Ferris.

You have the ability ($$$)......just do it and be done with it. IMO...that dealer where you saved $250 (not giving you grief about this) is just.....um......not to be trusted and the word needs to get out about him (via Google reviews or similar).

Go to the dealer that's 20 minutes away and see what he has. What about a demo mower? Maybe he's got one where you can make a better deal on it and get more mower to boot? Can't go wrong with a Gravely or Ferris. I have to go back to your original post but didn't you say they sell Toro? Can't go wrong with any of these.

B

bertsmobile1

When ride ons were a novelty item & not a necessity they cost around 6 months to 3 years wages.
There was a good profit margin in them & they were built to last and carefully inspected before they left the factory.

Now they cost , in your case about 4 to 6 weeks wages, there is a very small profit margin for the factory so the quality has dropped substantially.
And that goes just about across the entire range.
About 2/3 of the "which mower" posts to this forum are looking for the cheapest mower that might be able to do what is required.
The other 1/3 want the best.
Nearly all of them want the absolute cheapest price

Not trying to be rude or insulting just stating what I see daily.

A dealer who gives you a $ 250 discount over the others is going to make up the difference some where else and it appears he is doing so through his workshop.

An old saying my father was fond of always comes to mind.

"He who buys cheap pays twice "

You have now made 5 trips to the cheapest price dealer.
1 to buy it and 4 repairs.
The cost of your time traveling to & from the dealer is by now more than the $ 250 discount you got & the mower is still not right.
You are now about to go shopping for a replacement thus will be paying twice for the same thing and spending yet more of your time.

And if you are a commercial user then there is the lost productivity resulting from the machine being in the shop so many times.

Good quality mowing service costs money to perform
Rough mowing is a lot cheaper to do
Good quality mower service also cost money to perform
Poor quality service is a lot cheaper.

O

Oldschool1959

Thank God I am not a commercial user. My son uses it to cut small yards of less than an acre on weekends. So the most it will cut on any given day would be up to 2 acres, but not all at once. My acreage is only 3/4's of an acre and manicured so my lawn is for the most part free of debris etc etc etc. The other yards he mows are the same. This mower has 54 hours on it and its in the shop again. Not gonna happen this next time.

When ride ons were a novelty item & not a necessity they cost around 6 months to 3 years wages.
There was a good profit margin in them & they were built to last and carefully inspected before they left the factory.

Now they cost , in your case about 4 to 6 weeks wages, there is a very small profit margin for the factory so the quality has dropped substantially.
And that goes just about across the entire range.
About 2/3 of the "which mower" posts to this forum are looking for the cheapest mower that might be able to do what is required.
The other 1/3 want the best.
Nearly all of them want the absolute cheapest price

Not trying to be rude or insulting just stating what I see daily.

A dealer who gives you a $ 250 discount over the others is going to make up the difference some where else and it appears he is doing so through his workshop.

An old saying my father was fond of always comes to mind.

"He who buys cheap pays twice "

You have now made 5 trips to the cheapest price dealer.
1 to buy it and 4 repairs.
The cost of your time traveling to & from the dealer is by now more than the $ 250 discount you got & the mower is still not right.
You are now about to go shopping for a replacement thus will be paying twice for the same thing and spending yet more of your time.

And if you are a commercial user then there is the lost productivity resulting from the machine being in the shop so many times.

Good quality mowing service costs money to perform
Rough mowing is a lot cheaper to do
Good quality mower service also cost money to perform
Poor quality service is a lot cheaper.

fan45acp

fan45acp

gfp55, As I wrote in my post: a piece of a hard wood stick got jammed in the grove on one of my hydro pulleys. That is what broke the belt. Nothing more, and nothing less. :cool:

gfp55

gfp55

gfp55, As I wrote in my post: a piece of a hard wood stick got jammed in the grove on one of my hydro pulleys. That is what broke the belt. Nothing more, and nothing less. :cool:
And, what's your point?

gfp55

gfp55

Whether it makes sense or not...it's HIS money to do with what he pleases! I made a BAD decision last year on my XOne and can't afford to take the hit on trade that I would. IF I could afford it I wouldn't even be posting this because the XOne would be GONE and either a Ferris or Bad Boy would be in the garage waiting to mow!

Sorry for the rant......

Good for you for saying what I would get in trouble for saying. If I tell someone the truth about a product or practice I get chastised after someone cries to the staff.

fan45acp

fan45acp

And, what's your point?

gfp55, I'm referring to my original post about the piece of hardwood stick jammed in a hydro pulley grove caused the belt to break. That Sir is a fact. That is what really happened. You made a comment about the mechanic or the dealer blowing smoke, about something sounding fishy. That is exactly what the point is. There was a valid reason for the belt to break. The belt on my mower broke because of a piece of stick got jammed in a pulley groove NOT because of a quality problem. And That is exactly my point.

gfp55

gfp55

gfp55, I'm referring to my original post about the piece of hardwood stick jammed in a hydro pulley grove caused the belt to break. That Sir is a fact. that is was really happened. You made a comment about the mechanic or the dealer blowing smoke, about something sounding fishy. That is exactly what the point is. There was a valid reason for the belt to break. The belt on my mower broke because of a piece of stick got jammed in a pulley grove NOT because of a quality problem. And That is exactly my point.

If that was truly the case then your dealer would not have warrantied it and had Hustler pay for it. So the dealer commits fraud against Hustler because he a nice guy and he likes you. Sure Sure, You can believe that if you want. I don't !!

Tomster

Tomster

Sorry for the rant......

I said that didn't make sense and you told me to STFU? Ok, you did call me a keyboard hero so that's a positive, right?

1striper1

I said that didn't make sense and you told me to STFU? Ok, you did call me a keyboard hero so that's a positive, right?

Stop while you're behind. Have a nice day! :)

Tomster

Tomster

Stop while you're behind. Have a nice day! :)

LOL!

O

Oldschool1959

Update, Mower was repaired with new belt and adjusted the pully. Now it no longer shakes like Little Richard when I engage the blades and its running perfectly, so far. I was told it came off because of cutting a yard with gumballs, so who really knows. It may have picked up one along the way. So anyway right not other than needing to buy some Gator Blades I am happy! And I paid $174.50 for the belt, labor and adjusting the pully.

R

Rail5042

What pulley did they adjust. I thought it was just a spring loaded slide.

O

Oldschool1959

What pulley did they adjust. I thought it was just a spring loaded slide.

Yea I meant to say the spring loaded slide. All is working per spec at this time.

PVHIII

PVHIII

I owned the standard model Raptor for a lil over a month... After my 4th trip to the shop I received a refund and was told by my dealer that he was gonna do away with the Raptor line because he was having so many complaints/issues with them... I'm now a proud owner of a REAL MOWER..Fastrak SD...these Raptor mowers ain't worth the wood crate their shipped in...JMO

PVHIII

PVHIII

As a matter of fact my mom in law has one she hates and would probably sell pretty cheap.

M

mmclane2

Hello everyone... I'm new to group but I read this forum thread and seems like good place to post my issue. I have a 52" Raptor (I think its a 2012 or 2013). I purchased used about a month ago, and it mowed GREAT several times on my 1.5 acre property. Then while mowing couple days ago the pump belt came off. After some tinkering (and cussing...) I figured out how to put back on. Mowed for about 5 more minutes and it slipped off again. I put on again, same result. I examined the belt, no significant problems, tears, etc. So, I did some research and and decided to buy a 50" belt (which is 3/4" less circumference than factory belt). I put it on and it mowed great for about 15 minutes, then slipped off again!! I put on and tightened the tension pulley spring... its very tight now.... but it slipped off about 2 minutes later after mowing. Very frustrated, but don't want to take into a dealer for a belt issue that I SHOULD be able to figure out. any guidance out there? I'd like to be able to fix this myself and not take to dealer. Thank you.

S

shiftsuper175607

Update, Mower was repaired with new belt and adjusted the pully. Now it no longer shakes like Little Richard when I engage the blades and its running perfectly, so far. I was told it came off because of cutting a yard with gumballs, so who really knows. It may have picked up one along the way. So anyway right not other than needing to buy some Gator Blades I am happy! And I paid $174.50 for the belt, labor and adjusting the pully.

What is a "gumball"? Is that a slang name for some type of tree seed or nut?

Surely not a gumball......

M

Micko

Hello everyone... I'm new to group but I read this forum thread and seems like good place to post my issue. I have a 52" Raptor (I think its a 2012 or 2013). I purchased used about a month ago, and it mowed GREAT several times on my 1.5 acre property. Then while mowing couple days ago the pump belt came off. After some tinkering (and cussing...) I figured out how to put back on. Mowed for about 5 more minutes and it slipped off again. I put on again, same result. I examined the belt, no significant problems, tears, etc. So, I did some research and and decided to buy a 50" belt (which is 3/4" less circumference than factory belt). I put it on and it mowed great for about 15 minutes, then slipped off again!! I put on and tightened the tension pulley spring... its very tight now.... but it slipped off about 2 minutes later after mowing. Very frustrated, but don't want to take into a dealer for a belt issue that I SHOULD be able to figure out. any guidance out there? I'd like to be able to fix this myself and not take to dealer. Thank you.

What height are you cutting at?

M

mmclane2

I put it at the 2nd highest (tallest) setting, definitely not too low.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

And now he is making that up on services.
Abiet you are not paying but some one is.
Not an uncommon ruse with not quite as honest dealers as one would hope to be tading with .
Get a warranttee job in . 1/2 do the repair and ignore several other problem so the mower will come back again , and again & again for another warrantee or full price repair.

Belts only come off for two reasons.
Too loose - fixed by modifing the tensioning system &/or changing the belt size
Out of alignment - fixes by shimming / packing / or repositioning.

.... out of the shop?
Yeh, sure.
Operators soon find plenty more causes, create them. I have read plenty
on the topic on all mowers - even selfpropelled walk behinds!

Anyway, newbie to the forum might I say I have had may have again the shop
experience you comment on and I paid *more* for my ride then a deal elsewhere.
And in Aussie. So it is a culture, in squeezing bucks from a cashed up market.

I also found myself agreeing with <Tomster> " ... belt breaks on another mower
and so now the guy needs to trade-in (ridiculous)".
An owner accepting the advice Tomster ridiculed is fodder to the culture.

And <1striper1> with his (?) keyboard jocks observation is right on the money,
albeit such a practised post style has me wondering iffn that poster belongs to
yet another genre of InterWebs editorialists.. that Black Knight crowd, disarmed
but yelling "come back an' I'll bite ya to death" /laughs/

Good to read you Bert, and thanks for the good oil.

/waves/

--

KK - on a Sports past 3years and what a top ride it is

FieldCut48

FieldCut48

I'm having the same issue with a brand new 48" Raptor SD mower. Don't even have a hour on the mower.:frown:

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

I'm having the same issue with a brand new 48" Raptor SD mower. Don't even have a hour on the mower.:frown:

Don't read me wrong, I share the dealer worries I read, and I aint in your Country!

Get the machine back to the dealer.
Get them to contact you when THEY can mow with the machine.
Then get them to monitor YOU mowing with the machine.
When they are happy with the operation and want to release the machine
to you make it very clear any further cost to the problem is on them, including
your time. Get it in writing or videoed (go Pro).

Rest assured this is NOT a machine problem, it is either a setup fault or operator
cluelessness - no insult intended.

KK

FieldCut48

FieldCut48

This is my 1st zero turn... so I'm not to prideful to say it may just be an operator problem:laughing:

Don't read me wrong, I share the dealer worries I read, and I aint in your Country!

Get the machine back to the dealer.
Get them to contact you when THEY can mow with the machine.
Then get them to monitor YOU mowing with the machine.
When they are happy with the operation and want to release the machine
to you make it very clear any further cost to the problem is on them, including
your time. Get it in writing or videoed (go Pro).

Rest assured this is NOT a machine problem, it is either a setup fault or operator
cluelessness - no insult intended.

KK

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

This is my 1st zero turn... so I'm not to prideful to say it may just be an operator problem:laughing:

You got a whole lotta fun in front of you...they're a buzz!

I reckon most I read here is guys, mature guys, who got
too big for the dodgems at the AGRI shows.. or sold their
skidster in retirement and went looking for that same ride
with more zero gravity pull :laughing::laughing:

KK

FieldCut48

FieldCut48

My belt came off on a brand new 48"Raptor SD mower. 3rd pass up the yard. I matched up a 50"Troy Built (127CM)mower belt. The troy built movers belt is slightly narrower but rides the pulley better than the OEM belt. Problem seems to be solved.