Engine Battery will not stay charged on my 25hp silver eagle

mst

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Battery will not stay charged on my 25hp silver eagle
I have tried new batteries and I have tried a new voltage regulator, and the battery still will not stay charged when I shut the mower off it will not even turn over until I hook it to a battery charger for a while. Anyone else having a problem like this. By the way this is a 2007 model.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have tried new batteries and I have tried a new voltage regulator, and the battery still will not stay charged when I shut the mower off it will not even turn over until I hook it to a battery charger for a while. Anyone else having a problem like this. By the way this is a 2007 model.

Did you check the AC voltage before you replaced the regulator..?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manuals | Dixie Chopper Note: There are two 2007 silver eagle pages, locate your model & serial number page, then go to parts manual and locate electrical section and go to wiring schematic. Hands on and eyes wide open, inspect all wiring and connections for being corroded, chafing, insulation missing from wire, fuses, relays, wire harnesses, and all ground cables and ground straps for being tight. Let us know if this helps or not, thanks.

Please post engine manufacturer as well as all numbers from engine, I believe you may have a bad stator. First make sure this is your engine, go to page 10 & item 2 part # 0F1153B. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Generac-Parts-Lookup/Engines/005058-1 (GTV760).pdf Object moved
more information:
25hp Kohler ammeter light comes on when lights or mower deck
Not your engine, same principle. Object moved Select category: troubleshooting-repair keyword: stator Object moved

Last edited:

mst

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a LT2500 silver eagle model #7077055 with a 25hp generac motor #0050582 runs great with a fresh battery, but run it for an hour the battery is dead. I have checked the fuses etc, any ideas.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
what was that ac voltage?

Aardvark40

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem with a 2005 with a Generac engine. The charging circuit worked fine while the engine was running and produced sufficient voltage into the voltage regulator. The regulator functioned properly producing 13 - 14 volts at the output to the battery.
However, when the engine was shut off and the ignition turned OFF the battery discharged within a short period of time to about 10 volts.
After a thorough testing of all other parts I concluded that the problem was some sort of defect or short in the stator. Rather than replace the stator (since it was producing proper charging voltages when the engine was running) I decided to try something else.
I cut the battery charging line (between the voltage regulator OUTPUT and the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. This stopped the battery discharge immediately and the battery remained fully charged for several weeks. I then installed a 12 volt single pole relay (NORMALLY OPEN) into the charging line and wired the relay coil to the ignition switch of the mower so that the relay would only activate and close when the ignition was turned ON. This will allow the battery to charge when the engine is running but WILL NOT allow any backfeed discharge into the charging circuit or the stator.

WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a similar problem with a 2005 with a Generac engine. The charging circuit worked fine while the engine was running and produced sufficient voltage into the voltage regulator. The regulator functioned properly producing 13 - 14 volts at the output to the battery.
However, when the engine was shut off and the ignition turned OFF the battery discharged within a short period of time to about 10 volts.
After a thorough testing of all other parts I concluded that the problem was some sort of defect or short in the stator. Rather than replace the stator (since it was producing proper charging voltages when the engine was running) I decided to try something else.
I cut the battery charging line (between the voltage regulator OUTPUT and the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. This stopped the battery discharge immediately and the battery remained fully charged for several weeks. I then installed a 12 volt single pole relay (NORMALLY OPEN) into the charging line and wired the relay coil to the ignition switch of the mower so that the relay would only activate and close when the ignition was turned ON. This will allow the battery to charge when the engine is running but WILL NOT allow any backfeed discharge into the charging circuit or the stator.

WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!

You could have just fitted a diode..!:wink:

Aardvark40

Forum Newbie
Threads
You could have just fitted a diode..!:wink:

Yes, Engine Man, I certainly could have fitted a diode. However, I did not have a diode of suitable capacity in stock at the moment but did have several of the 12 volt relays sitting in the parts bin. My Welsh heritage urged me to go out and purchase a suitable diode but my Scottish heritage won out. :wink:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sean Connery was the only real "BOND"!!!!!