Battery powered Weed Eater, Which voltage is preferred or has an advantage?

RayMcD

Threads
  • / Battery powered Weed Eater, Which voltage is preferred or has an advantage?
Folks, I'm curious what voltage you prefer in battery weed wackers? Currently I have a 40v brushless Ryobi MD #
(RY40270VNM) that I feel does a good job. thanks Ray

Last edited:

TonyPrin

Threads
To some extent the voltage required depends on your situation. Overall, I suggest a minimum of 36 volts which should provide the power to blast through most difficult weeds. If you want to use blade attachments, I'd go for 40 volts or more. Beyond that, consider amps which will impact how long you can go before recharging.

Charlie8d

Threads
I have a Greenworks 60V system . It is overkill for my needs as far as the string trimmer, but it uses the same batteries as my mower. Very pleased with everything .

olds394

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve used EGO and the attachments capable Milwaukee M18.
The Milwaukee just works. Sold the EGO.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I have a 18V Ryobi.It gets used a lot.

The only complaint is, I wear out the bump feed button.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Folks, I'm curious what voltage you prefer in battery weed wackers? Currently I have a 40v brushless Ryobi MD #
(RY40270VNM) that I feel does a good job. thanks Ray
Voltage is almost irrelevant. Manufacturers use voltage to coax consumers into paying more. "Bigger numbers must be better! Right? After all the higher voltage tools cost more!"

The higher voltage tools cost more because manufacturers decided to make more expensive tools, and use higher voltage because they know consumers will assume the higher the better.

DeWalt is mostly sticking by 20V but has surrendered with a dual 60V/20V battery and tools.

EGo sticks with 56V for everything. No "premium" higher voltage tools.

The higher the voltage the more cells must be used. The more cells used the smaller they must be. All the while the 18650 cell is the biggest bang for the buck to be had. That I know of, DeWalt and EGo use 18650 cells.