Bad voltage regulator or charging coil?

bennieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can a bad voltage regulator or charging coil on a Kawasaki FD731v engine keep it from turning over? I've checked and replaced anything bad in the wiring on the mower to the engine connector and the engine still won't spin. When the engine suddendly shut off while mowing, the charging circuit fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and like I said, tested all the way to the engine connector. Could it be a dead short in either the voltage reg. or charging coil?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you checked wiring perhaps you can benefit from further guidance from a manufacturer's trouble shoot flow chart. See if Kaw puts out a factory manual. If it exists it will take you through logical steps with voltage values, and/or a member can respond.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the spark plugs and try turning it over. The FD is a liquid cooled engine and are prone to have leaky cylinder head gaskets. If a cylinder fills up with liquid, it will liquid lock and will not turn over.
The charging system will not prevent the engine from turning over, but if it is not operating correctly, then the battery will not get charged during machine operation and soon become discharged.
Just a thought
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: