backfiring Kohler

Vangoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
this 19hp Kohler has given me nothing but fits since I got it 3 years ago on my Ariens 42" rider. That's another story too.
they say shut it off at full throttle, I do. then it just started backfiring. I tried everything. turned out to be that dang fuel bowl solenoid that pulls fuel in during shut down or start up....I'm on my third one. the backfiring has seemed to loosen some parts as well.
could I be missing something else?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two things have been linked to repeating fuel shutoff solenoid failures. The voltage regulator putting out too much voltage/amperage. and the muffler to close to the solenoid without a head shield. Kohler came out with a head shield kit for the solenoid on the Courage engine used on the troybilt, may be able to use it on your engine too.

This past month I installed a new briggs engine on a Toro to replace the briggs engine that had dropped a valve and when through the top of the piston. the engine always backfired when shutoff before the engine change. Installed the new engine, hoping to also eliminate the backfire problem. The new engine also backfires. The only thing common between the two engines was I had to reuse the muffler off the old engine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Briggs 14.5 would backfire every time I shut it down.
I backed off the idle screw so when I put the throttle down to slow it shuts the engine down. Just don't forget to turn key off.

I don't know if this is good to do or not but no more backfire

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ariena

Threads
This may not apply, but I'll tell you about the problem I experienced.
I have a 1964 VW that has been restored down to the last stainless steel fastener. It runs beautifully but after shutting down, I could count for three seconds and then experience a very loud backfire. I did all the routine troubleshooting and then sat down and cried. After a few weeks, I was under the car, checking something when I remembered the new exhaust gaskets I had installed. I tightened all the exhaust fittings, past recommended torque settings and started the car, shut it off, and counted to three, four, five, six..................no bang! It now runs and sounds like a new car.
Moral of the story: Check your exhaust fittings.
Good Luck!

DaveTN

Threads
Years ago a friend gave me an old 8 HP Dynamark and it would backfire. It also would run so LEAN the muffler would heat up so much you could see the shadow of the valves working back and forth!! I tried to get rid of the lean condition to no avail through adjustments and checking for air leaks. It's sitting in the bone yard now and has been for years until I need to rob something off of it. Isn't it usually a lean condition causing the backfiring when the muffler lets fresh air back in? I can see where an exhaust valve sticking might cause a backfire through the muffler, but it would lose compression too and run poorly like that. An intake valve not seating would cause backfiring through the carburetor and a flame high enough to roast a pig on! A cheap ~~Flame Thrower~~ . I hate a backfiring mower. Ever notice that the majority of exhaust backfire mowers are riding mowers and hardly ever a push mower?

chance123

Threads
Many times an engine will backfire when shutting down because of the glowing hot carbon build up within the muffler. When you turn the key off, it cancels the ignition, but as the engine coasts to a stop, it is still ingesting fuel which because of no ignition, gets blown into the muffler where it ignites in the muffler from the glowing carbon. Try shutting down with the throttle in the slow position and see if that helps.

Vangoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well...the new solenoid is in and.....a heat shield that came with it, so far no backfire, although I did notice I had loose bolts. so I went back and replaced the OHV gasket and re-tightened all the bolts. I believe I may get a 'different' muffler too.
So Far So good. Thanks for the input. I'll keep y'all posted.

GOAT