Export thread

B&S Stator

Geochurchi

Geochurchi

Hi, what should the resistance be on a 20 Amp Stator?
Thanks

R

Rivets

I’ve never checked stator resistance, but this manual may help you. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/c...a/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf

StarTech

StarTech

In order to check these you really need a milli ohm meter. Very very few are out there these days. If you are lucky enough to know an electrician he might still have one. About the only thing you can for is open circuit or a short to the stator frame with the DVMM we normally have laying around.

Plus Briggs only provides us with the following specs.
1675775609153.png

Geochurchi

Geochurchi

Hi, I am an electrician, I was looking for the resistance value of the coil, but aside from that, the stator leads are yellow and have a black connector, what capacity is the stator?

StarTech

StarTech

Is terminals round or flat?

Geochurchi

Geochurchi

It’s flat black, and the terminals are flat, nothing seems to match up, you’re supposed to be able to tell stator by wire color and connector color. NOT!

StarTech

StarTech

The only ones with the flat terminals are the 20 amp stators according the alternator guide.
1676241443512.png

But right wire colors and terminal housing colors no longer means a thing. They be have changed vendors and they didn't the colors right.

Can you post an image of the connector you have? Kinda sounds like someone replaced the connector

Geochurchi

Geochurchi

Nope! Brand new motor out of the box, that’s why I say the color coding is not correct, I tried to post a pic but the file is to large.

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

Just wondering why?
Do you have the stator out of the engine or is the stator in question still installed?
Is your charging system not working, are you replacing a stator or are you installing a charging system onto a Briggs engine?
What is your engine Model, type and code and what are you wanting to operate/charge, etc???

Briggs usually just lists AC output from the stator with the engine at high rpm's.
You can look in the Briggs SERVICE manuals starting with your engine model and type and see pictures of your stator configuration and them look at the specs.

StarTech

StarTech

Nope! Brand new motor out of the box, that’s why I say the color coding is not correct, I tried to post a pic but the file is to large.
Yes all smart phone images are too big. You must reduce the images to something 1000 x 1000 pixels using conversion program. Personally I uusally convert to 600 x 600 here. And my accounting software prefers 300 x 300 max.

Anything is possible with Briggs now they just don't seem to have any kind of the service info they once did. You are not the only they are driving nuts lately.

Also since it is a new motor you have in front of you please the model and type numbers so I can look it up here on the Power Portal.

Geochurchi

Geochurchi

I just wanted to know the amperage of the the system, allegedly from colors , Engine 3054470610 G1, as stated ,colors don’t mean anything anymore.

StarTech

StarTech

Okay here is what we are looking at PN 846882..

DbAoOO0.jpg

And according the Brigg Power Portal it is a 20 amp setup.
1676245140285.png

StarTech

StarTech

Just did a 20 amp Kawasaki stator. The resistance on the DVMM here is unreadable. Meter leads shorted together is .04 ohms (lead resistance). with leads attached to the stator leads meter reading is .04 ohms. As I said it would take a milli ohm meter to read the resistance and this test just proved it to me. The only tests a DIYer can do is see if it is open circuit or if the coil shorted to the stator core frame.