Export thread

B&S Hard Starting

A

Ariena

I have a Craftsman with a B&S 7# torque engine which is increasingly becoming harder to start. This morning, it took eleven pulls to start it when it's suppose to start on first or second pull. There is no throttle control, carb adjustment or anything adjustable. Any suggestions?
It will restart on first pull when hot.

C

chance123

Check your air & fuel filters

A

Ariena

Brand new.

C

chance123

Does the carb have a choke? Or a primer bulb. Often times, after a while, linkages relax and get worn and need tweaking. You might want to see if the choke butterfly actually "fully" closes when your control lever is in the choke position.

R

Rivets

Take. It to you Toro dealer. This problem is covered under their warranty.

A

Ariena

There is no choke or any type of control.

e7055c4c5e892284733b8f1fe097b89d.jpg

A

Ariena

Rivets said:

It isn't under warranty any longer.

C

chance123

I think he meant to say "Craftsman dealer"?
After re reading I guess I missed the part that said "No throttle control", so I guess you have at least a prime bulb? When you said "brand new", I am guessing you were referring to the filters and not the machine, or was it both.

R

Rivets

Sorry, brains a little off. Pull the carb bowl and clean the main jet.

C

chance123

There is no choke or any type of control.

e7055c4c5e892284733b8f1fe097b89d.jpg

Can we see the "other" side of that engine?

A

Ariena

chance123 said:
I think he meant to say "Craftsman dealer"?
After re reading I guess I missed the part that said "No throttle control", so I guess you have at least a prime bulb? When you said "brand new", I am guessing you were referring to the filters and not the machine, or was it both.

No primer bulb.
This is the Eco Series machine.

A

Ariena

As requested.

123ddf16006c37f913904da56748088b.jpg

R

Rivets

I feel that your hard starting problem is caused by one of two things. One, the main jet is clogged. It is part of the float bowl bolt on the bottom of the carb. Remove the bolt and clean both vertically and horizontally. Reinstall. If this does not do the job, then you will have to go to solution number two. That would be to adjust the auto choke mechanism. I don't know how to post the porcedure to do that and I hope that someone else here can do that for you. It is to lengthy to type it out with out the appropriate illustrations. If no one comes along to do it I will see if I can get a friend to help out.

A

Ariena

Thanks Rivets. I'm not sure I would buy another of these "No manual control machines".

EngineMan

EngineMan

Are we talking about "One-Start Carburetor" because post 1 tells me that the choke isn't working..!
best thing to do is to take off the fan cover and air filter cover and post up some photo's of the carb and around the carb showing all the links that way am sure we can work something out.

EngineMan

EngineMan

read the reviews...!

www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/push-mower/detail/?series=Professional-Series%26%238482%3B-775&id={1A5A2155-C7F8-4B30-A0EE-33C7176D60A7}#BVRRWidgetID

Response from Briggs & Stratton
Nicole, Answer CenterMarch 28, 2012
Our Ready Start system means that the engine should start with minimal effort and little to no adjustments. Since there is no choke or primer on this engine, a thermostat regulates the fuel flow during start-up. Due to this fact, when a problem such as yours occurs, the unit should be looked at by an authorized service dealer who can be located via: http://bit.ly/o9JLPZ

EngineMan

EngineMan

Have a look at this video it may help you see how some of them work.

LAWNMOWER REPAIR: briggs and stratton auto choke repair-john deere - YouTube

Take off the air filter you should see that the choke is closed when the engine is cold. You may well find that it will be open and that is why its hard to start from cold.

R

Rivets

Ariens, EngineMan has helped me out in find the procedure for checking the Auto choke system I was talking about. I hope this helps you. Thanks EngineMan.

C

chance123

Not to trouble you for another photo, but I asked for a photo of the other side (which you provided) but I failed to ask that you remove the air filter & cover so we might see if indeed there "is" a choke.

R

Rivets

There is a choke butterfly on this unit. Is it set properly is the concern right now.

F

Firebird2

I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull ?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Did you notice this post was from 2012?

B

bertsmobile1

Hey , give him some slack.
A new member who is actually reading the old old threads rather than just posting a common problem that has 300 repair threads already posted.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Well, I guess it is unanimous. I'm being an arse. To time out I go.