Export thread

B&S excessive oil use.

C

Coffield

I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 mower with a Model 440000 23 HP Intel engine.
The engine runs great with more then enough power but will use about 8 to 10 ounces of oil in about 1.5 hours of running time. The engine has about 145 psi on both cylinders and appears to be using only on the right cylinder also the oil is very black and you can change it and after an hour of use it is very black again.
Any options as to what my problem can be. Could it be a head gasket?

T

Tinkerer200

Could it be a head gasket?[/QUOT

Could be, what do your plugs look like?

Walt Conner

C

Coffield

Could it be a head gasket?[/QUOT

Could be, what do your plugs look like?

Walt Conner
The plug on the left looks like normal use, but when I got the mower the plug on the right was completely carbon covered and was running on one cylinder. I put two new plugs in and it runs great but using oil and a small amount of white smoke. The bottom valve was bad lose and I adjusted it and now it starts without a hesitation .

I tried this and there was no restriction blowing or sucking.

I would look for the hose between the crankcase breather and the air filter air box, disconnect it from the air box find away to alternately suck and blow on this hose still connected to crankcase breather. You should be able to suck freely but quickly change over to very restricted blowing. IF that is the way it works, the crankcase breather is working OK. Probably not it but costs nothing, no tear down and eliminate that.

T

Tinkerer200

"I tried this and there was no restriction blowing or sucking."

This is unusual and not right. IF you are sure that is what is going on, the crankcase breather is bad. That does not explain why it only has carbon on one plug. White smoke generally means blown head gasket.

I can send you a Service Manual IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Sorry about the adress

C

Coffield

"I tried this and there was no restriction blowing or sucking."

This is unusual and not right. IF you are sure that is what is going on, the crankcase breather is bad. That does not explain why it only has carbon on one plug. White smoke generally means blown head gasket.

I can send you a Service Manual IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner

I will replace the crankcase breather, I have the carburetor off and will pull the head and check the head gasket.
Thanks for the help.
I found the address in another post.

Thanks Ray

C

Coffield

Well it was not the head gasket.
Must be rings?
Any more suggestions ?

T

Tinkerer200

I wish you had replaced the crankcase breather and tried it before removing the head.

Walt Conner

C

Coffield

I wish you had replaced the crankcase breather and tried it before removing the head.

Walt Conner
If it were the crankcase breather would it fouling both plugs.
And not just the right one.

T

Tinkerer200

If it were the crankcase breather would it fouling both plugs.
And not just the right one.

I said before that I did not know why that would be but if the breather is as you said, it is bad and must be replaced so one thing at a time. The breather should have little resistance out quickly switching to considerable resistance in but some air will still go in.

Walt Conner

C

Coffield

I said before that I did not know why that would be but if the breather is as you said, it is bad and must be replaced so one thing at a time. The breather should have little resistance out quickly switching to considerable resistance in but some air will still go in.

Walt Conner

I am replacing the breather Assy. 792185 and the Collector-Oil 690956.
Will post this afternoon with any changes.

C

Coffield

Well it's all back together now.
I mowed for about 90 minutes and the oil leave is down to the add mark??

Anyone got any more ideas.
New head gaskets, crankcase vent.

B

bertsmobile1

have you had a real good look underneath the engine ?
If it burned 4 oz of oil in 90 minutes you would be leaving a smoke trail that would do James Bond proud.