B&S 625ex/150cc lawnmower engine won't kick over

rossmoyne

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton 625/1 50cc engine on a troybilt frame. It's two years old.

It is refusing to kick over when I try to start it. I'm pretty sure the spark is ok, as I can sort of keep it running by squirting starter fluid directly into the carb once I pull the cord, so I'm thinking the gas is not making it to the engine.

I've pretty much pulled the easy parts of the engine off, I noticed that when I hold down the safety handle, that none of the links to the carb move. Is that normal? Is that handle simply a safety feature?

I also noticed that the carb is not really attached to the motor, just held in place by the air filter housing - how cheap. It looks like the bowl is simply pressed into the top half, so if I break that seal, I may not be able to get it back together like the factory.

Anyway, do I just replace the carb or try to rebuild it?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I don't know your model #, but their should be a 1/2" bowl nut. Under the carb, the nut acts as the main jet, it has 3 holes in it, 2 crossways and 1 out the top, make sure they are all clear. Spray them out with compressed air or carb cleaner, or poke a wire through the holes

rossmoyne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, engine model # is "093J02 0006 F1", also just put in new sparkplug and air filter.

rossmoyne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it does, but farther down the page, my model # is a little bit different. In the compatibility section it says: Compatible with "093J02 0001 F1". Mine is "093J02 0006 F1"

I'll check that website and see if I can find one that is compatible.

Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, just go back and enter the same type number as yours, it will likely show the same carb.

I have been out of the game for several years, and have no help to give on that junky looking new carb style.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Likely, they intend to just sell a new carb, but hey, if you can take it apart and clean out the gunk. Give it a go.

primerbulb120

Threads
Yeah, just go back and enter the same type number as yours, it will likely show the same carb.

I have been out of the game for several years, and have no help to give on that junky looking new carb style.

These new plastic carburetors are some of my all-time favorites to work on. All the gaskets are O-rings and hardly ever have to be replaced, all the parts are plastic so they don't rust or corrode. Super easy to disassemble and clean.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 625/1 50cc engine on a troybilt frame. It's two years old.

It is refusing to kick over when I try to start it. I'm pretty sure the spark is ok, as I can sort of keep it running by squirting starter fluid directly into the carb once I pull the cord, so I'm thinking the gas is not making it to the engine.

I've pretty much pulled the easy parts of the engine off, I noticed that when I hold down the safety handle, that none of the links to the carb move. Is that normal? Is that handle simply a safety feature?

I also noticed that the carb is not really attached to the motor, just held in place by the air filter housing - how cheap. It looks like the bowl is simply pressed into the top half, so if I break that seal, I may not be able to get it back together like the factory.

Anyway, do I just replace the carb or try to rebuild it?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance

-Take off the plastic float bowl (2 screws on either side of the bowl, 7 MM socket if I remember correctly.) You may need to pry it off gently with a flatblade screwdriver, the O-ring seal is pretty tight so it's not going to just fall off.

-Pop the float pin out and remove the float, needle and pin.

-Using a flatblade screwdriver, carefully pry out the plastic jet assembly (it's the elongated oval shaped white plastic piece at the bottom of the carb body. Be gentle with it, it's somewhat fragile.

-The plastic jet assembly is actually two pieces that press-fit together. Twist the upper piece off of the lower piece carefully (again, it's fragile.)

-Clean the jet assembly thoroughly, paying special attention to the brass jets. Then put everything back together and see if it'll start.