Awning help

Hershey

Threads
I've mentioned before, I think, the difficult in keeping the house cool because the sun just bakes it. I've considered trees, but I think an awning might be better. Does anyone have recommendations of companies they've used or products they've purchased that we could research and see if they have something that would work for us? It's hotter in the house at night than it is outside.

stuckinnj

Threads
Having lived in So Cal (Mission Viejo) I understand your issue w/the daily solar load. I built a Pergola for shade and would recommend one over an awning, if your HOA allows. A pergola structure is much more eye appealing then an awning, easier maintenance, no moving parts to fail, with the 'right' finish it can reduce the aging/fading effects. Plus you can hang plants from the beams to add a bit of color and absorb the sun. And less likely to be damaged during the rainy season. In the 90's that was defined as one week of hard rain sometime in January February. I'm sure that has changed as the weather cycles have changed everywhere else in the world.

I left So Cal for the 4 seasons of the East Coast. Somehow I misread the travel brochure. We seem to be having 3 seasons the last couple of years. Spring lasts about 2 weeks here in Northern NJ., then right into summer.

Hershey

Threads
Thanks for the response. I hadn't considered that. The thing that gives me pause is that it's a very small backyard and I think that might interfere with that even more, not to mention interfere with the sprinkler system and the mowing of the lawn. I'll definitely check it out though.

mamaA

Threads
Friends of our family used to own and operate an awning shop. I've never had awnings but I know they had a great business for a while. Everyone in their family had awnings on their homes.

jeff

Threads
Look at the houses in your area that date back to the days before A/C. You will see a lot of trees and a porch that wraps around the house. That porch provided shade over the windows to prevent the sun from baking the house interior. Awnings were also very common back then, as were ceiling fans.

Hershey

Threads
Yeah, those old wrap around porches, but that's now where I am unfortunately. I've considered those sunsetter things but there are too many complaints. I just can't seem to find good awning recommendations or help.

173abn

Threads
Hershy,one of my brother in laws was looking to buy two 40" awnings and was quoted a price of around $500.00 so they aren't cheap.I rehabed one my brother gave me and put it on a west facing window and it did cut down on the heat. russ

Hershey

Threads
Thanks, 173. I know that part of it is the material you get for the awning. Some are made with reflective materials that deflects the heat away. Pricing has shown they aren't cheap, I agree.