Attaching hydraulic pulley on Toro Z Master

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the pulleys for the hydraulic system on my Toro Z150 Z-Master fell off and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it back on. The manual doesn't say anything about replacing the pulleys. The parts manual does show the parts needed though and that's where I'm getting confused:

Screen Shot 2015-05-03 at 12.51.01 PM.png

The screws labeled #8 are the set screws and I assumed that's what I needed to hold the pulley in place so I ordered them. But they don't fit into the threads very well and I can't see any way to actually tighten them once the pulley is on. So I looked at the other pulley and it's on very tightly without any set screws. There's no bolts or anything as far as I can see and I have no idea how it's attached.

Part #9 is a "key" and I have no idea what that is. I can't see anything on the other pulley that looks like that either.

My question is: should I go ahead and order the key and hope that's the missing link to get this thing on? Anyone have guidance on how to attach this thing?

I'm new to repairing things like this. Thanks for putting up with my very inexperienced questions.

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm, I see now: the key fits into a little slot on the shaft and that goes into a groove on the pulley. Is that just to keep it from turning on the shaft or is that supposed to hold the pulley on too? Because when I just slip it on with the key it falls right back off. If it's just supposed to keep it from turning on the shaft, then I still have no idea how the other pulley is staying on without bolts/screws...

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still unable to get this thing back on.

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like it. But I don't think I need a part. Just trying to figure out how to attach it. The set screws don't seem to even fit and the other pulley doesn't seem to be using any.

logan01

Threads
I don't know. Looks like the single set screw in the link is the holder unless the key is one of those that will be so tight it too holds the pulley to the shaft. Might holler at a shop that services Toros and ask them just to make sure. Keys are made to secure one part to another and keys are made to act as a weak link so that another part (shafts, etc) aren't damaged upon hitting a stump, etc.

logan01

Threads
Just wondering. Does that set screw go through the pulley and into the shaft recess for the key or is it designed to just go against the shaft?

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's too thick to go into the key recess, so it's probably designed to go against the shaft, the problem is it's too big to even go into the pulley. I ordered the screws using the exact part number which makes me think this might not be the right pulley (I got this used and have already found other frankestein parts on it) except that there's another pulley that looks exactly like it somehow staying on without any set screws...

blaix

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I got it on. I tried it again and the screws were tight but they actually did go on with some force. They press against the shaft and the pulley is held into place. Still not sure how the other one is staying on without screws. Oh well.

logan01

Threads
Might be a slightly tapered shaft on the section for the other pulley.