Arians rear motor Briggs and Stratton trouble

bustin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Arians rear motor Briggs and Stratton. One day when I tried to start it and after the first pull the engine locked up and could not pull the recoil. So from underneath I backed the motor off and then I could start it. The next time I went to use the mower the same thing happen again only this time the first pull would not pull. I back it off again but this time it would not allow me to pull the recoil. Has anyone had this problem? What was the cause? How did you fix it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, pull the dip stick and look for two things. One, is it over filled. Two, does it small like gas. Post back your findings along with the engine numbers.

bustin

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, pull the dip stick and look for two things. One, is it over filled. Two, does it small like gas. Post back your findings along with the engine numbers.
Oil level was low. There is a small odor of gas.
engine numbers
Model 195707
Type 0114 01
Code 970403YE

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, 16 year old engine and the simple things are not the problem. This is going to take sometime without seeing it. Let's try a few things and see where that leads us. First, pull the plug and see if the engine will turn over. If it turns over, while you look through the spark plug hole, have someone slowly turn the engine over. Do you see the valves moving? If they both move install the plug and see what happens. If when you first removed the plug and the engine does not turn over, try this. With the plug out try turning the engine by grabbing the pulley and rotating backwards. Post back what you find.