Export thread

Are you a member of the NRA ?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Are you a member of the NRA, yes or no ? This poll applies only to US citizens.

Ric

Ric

I was and I stopped but I'm going to become a member again.
13761-you-member-nra-usa-gif

M

Moto110ky

:smile: If you own a firearm and want to keep your rights as one then you are crazy not to be a member:cool:

L

LakeRat1

Yes I an A Member, have been for many Years

F

fatboy

I am an NRA member carry a Glock 27

P

park4019

YES . Proud, annual, member, for many years. To old now to change to a life member.

L

LakeRat1

Yes I am a Long Time Member of the NRA >< Also My Wife & I both have Conceal Carry Permits

ztrjim

ztrjim

No, but I am in the process of getting my CWP and am seriously considering joining the NRA..... Can anyone make any recommendations as to why it would be a good idea? :wink:

M

mrfred54

yes and always will be. I would vote for ted nugent for pres. in a heart beat

D

Dave1954

Yes I am a Life Member of the NRA :thumbsup:

reynoldston

reynoldston

The only thing I can think of is you have to carry a gun when you mow lawns. What a waste of money. Just what in the world do you need a gun for.

Carscw

Carscw

The only thing I can think of is you have to carry a gun when you mow lawns. What a waste of money. Just what in the world do you need a gun for.

I carry when I mow yards.

Chattanooga Tennessee in the ghetto. Shootings every day. Thugs trying to rob you.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I carry when I mow yards.

Chattanooga Tennessee in the ghetto. Shootings every day. Thugs trying to rob you.

So you are saying you shot people?? How many so far? Are you saying that doesn't trouble you. I don't like the idea of shooting a animal much less a person. As far as I am concerned that is crazy talk. sorry if this offends you

M

Mad Mackie

So you are saying you shot people?? How many so far? Are you saying that doesn't trouble you. I don't like the idea of shooting a animal much less a person. As far as I am concerned that is crazy talk. sorry if this offends you

reynoldston,
Your imagination runs wild at times!!!:laughing: And yes to the original question!

Carscw

Carscw

What I am saying is if someone try's to rob me I will shoot them.
I will not shoot a animal but I will shoot anyone that threatens me with violence so they can take my things.

Carscw

Carscw

I do not get offended. We all have different outlooks and opinions on how we live our life and how we do things.

Yes.. world is much different than when 'say' my Dad grew up..

reynoldston

reynoldston

I do not get offended. We all have different outlooks and opinions on how we live our life and how we do things.

I don't think so. Now really I don't think you are shooting people. Just talk or you would have free room and board. I also have a collation of guns and a permit to carry a hand gun which I have several. When I was younger I did a lot of shooting and loaded my own shells. One of my rules was I never owned a gun to shoot a person. (BUT) Now if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night I don't know what I would do and sure hope I never have to find out seeing I keep a loaded hand gun next to my bed. So you can see we aren't that much different. As far as carrying a gun when I mow would be a big pain in the A@@ just to carry it and no need for it. What I do some times is carry a hand gun when I am ATVing just because I enjoy shooting it when I am in the back country to shoot at whatever.

Carscw

Carscw

I don't think so. Now really I don't think you are shooting people. Just talk or you would have free room and board. I also have a collation of guns and a permit to carry a hand gun which I have several. When I was younger I did a lot of shooting and loaded my own shells. One of my rules was I never owned a gun to shoot a person. (BUT) Now if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night I don't know what I would do and sure hope I never have to find out seeing I keep a loaded hand gun next to my bed. So you can see we aren't that much different. As far as carrying a gun when I mow would be a big pain in the A@@ just to carry it and no need for it. What I do some times is carry a hand gun when I am ATVing just because I enjoy shooting it when I am in the back country to shoot at whatever.

I hope I am never put in a situation that I would have to shoot a person.

This past summer a couple of guys got robbed for their blowers. The thief put a gun to a workers face while his buddy took the blowers.

I would have shot them both. Not because they took my blower but because they put a gun in my face.

X-man

X-man

This past summer a couple of guys got robbed for their blowers. The thief put a gun to a workers face while his buddy took the blowers.

I would have shot them both. Not because they took my blower but because they put a gun in my face.

Same here. I've never had a reason to pull out my gun and I hope I never will.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I would think if I had a gun in my face it would surely be a YES SIR. They have the draw on you. Don't be a hero. Sure not worth any of your equipment which is replaceable but your life isn't. Did they find the jerks, I sure hope so, and also I feel very sorry victim here. If they did find then I sure hope they got the max for armed robbery.

exotion

exotion

I would think if I had a gun in my face it would surely be a YES SIR. They have the draw on you. Don't be a hero. Sure not worth any of your equipment which is replaceable but your life isn't. Did they find the jerks, I sure hope so, and also I feel very sorry victim here. If they did find then I sure hope they got the max for armed robbery.

Nobody's life is worth killing over stuff. If you think your crap is worth ending someone's life there is something wrong with you. That makes you more of a thug than them. Karma always comes around for them and you can buy new ****

reynoldston

reynoldston

Nobody's life is worth killing over stuff. If you think your crap is worth ending someone's life there is something wrong with you. That makes you more of a thug than them. Karma always comes around for them and you can buy new ****

I said the same thing here but in different words. Agree 100% So why do you need a gun to mow your lawn? Didn't know that things are that bad in USA? I got into this same subject on this forum before. Some one said that they had poison snakes in their lawn and they needed a gun to kill them now I can under stand that reason. I can hear my neighbors now if I was shooting a gun at snakes well I was mowing, they would think I was a nut case.

P

possum

No. Not a member. Do not carry a firearm when mowing a lawn. Very hot and humid here in mowing season. I cannot imagine where it could be carried. Cannot imagine where it would be put every time I needed to lay down to clean or service something. I do not even know if it would be legal to walk on someones property with a CC. I do know most of the buildings here in town say no firearms. would take a lot of putting it on and taking it off while going around town I would think. For example. a person runs down to the gas station, then the Pharmacy, then Dollar General, then the Napa store, the city building, the city area for dumping yard waste, the fire department building, the bar or any eating place, grocery store, dentist and doctors office, barber shop. Most places here do not let folks carry firearms into.

reynoldston

reynoldston

No. Not a member. Do not carry a firearm when mowing a lawn. Very hot and humid here in mowing season. I cannot imagine where it could be carried. Cannot imagine where it would be put every time I needed to lay down to clean or service something. I do not even know if it would be legal to walk on someones property with a CC. I do know most of the buildings here in town say no firearms. would take a lot of putting it on and taking it off while going around town I would think. For example. a person runs down to the gas station, then the Pharmacy, then Dollar General, then the Napa store, the city building, the city area for dumping yard waste, the fire department building, the bar or any eating place, grocery store, dentist and doctors office, barber shop. Most places here do not let folks carry firearms into.

Sounds to me like you have some common sense on top of it all. :thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

Kansas law says that the no firearm signs don't have force of law, which means they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse they can have you charged with trespassing. If you are carrying concealed correctly they won't know if you are carrying or not. Most CCL holders refuse to do business with any place that is posted, unless there is no alternative.

Carscw

Carscw

A sign on the door saying no firearms
Means rob us as no one here has a gun.

A sign on the door saying no firearms
Means rob us as no one here has a gun.

That is for sure..........

M

Mikel1

Yes, a proud member and I am an avid deer hunter.

X-man

X-man

Yes, a proud member and I am an avid deer hunter.

Avid deer hunter myself... Mostly with my car though lol.

:laughing: Still just as good eating..

X-man

X-man

:laughing: Still just as good eating..

Always. Last one I hit had approx. 170 lbs worth of meat. He kept my freezer stocked for awhile.

It was a 10 point buck.

Nice. How badly damaged was your 'kill vehicle?"

grumpygrizzly

grumpygrizzly

If I'm out on a job, fixing someones equipment or talking to a client about potential work, and someone decides to pry the back door open to my stepvan (Which I keep locked all the time) and help themselves to my tools and inventory and I can stop them, I will do it by whatever means necessary.

They are trying to steal MY livelihood so they can go to a pawn shop and sell it for pennies on the dollar and turn around and buy drugs.

I've worked for everything I have, why should they get it free and then turn around and pawn it (or throw it in the trash if they can't get anything at the pawn shop for it).

If you think the cops will do anything, that's pretty much not gonna happen. Here in WA, I've heard the excuse "Yeah, we can't get any fingerprints because it's raining.. and chances are they're not even in the system."

My father is a life time NRA member and has taught thousands of people on handgun defense and one of the first thing he will tell them is this: "You don't just pull a gun to scare them off, you pull a gun to kill them with it."

If you stand there just pointing it, they'll take it away, possibly shooting you but, more likely leaving with it and committing some more serious crimes with a gun registered TO YOU..

If you feel your life is in danger enough to pull that gun, pull the trigger as soon as you get it pointed in the right direction. If you can't do that, don't carry a gun.

X-man

X-man

Nice. How badly damaged was your 'kill vehicle?"

It honestly wasn't that bad. Both of the front airbags deployed, passenger side headlight got smashed, and part of the hood got crunched. Other than that, the car was fine. Drove it for a few years after hitting it.

M

Mikel1

Lol, so is my wife. Almost totaled a newer corolla and damaged a few other cars from deer collisions. Luckily she was only slightly injured in one collision, when glass went into her face.

I

ingigo

People will always be afraid of what they do not know. It is just a tool. I feel the NRA tries to show that it is a right and a choice, but you need training and someone to teach and mentor like any dangerous activity, that was just a given growing up when I did.

John R

John R

Was a life member for years, I have now upgraded to an Endowment membership.
The NRA is our last line of defense against liberal politicians.

Z

ziti

No. Have an unloaded 12 gauge for home protection. If some fool breaks in my house in the middle of the night I'll rack the slide once or twice and that should change his mind. If not, I've got shells hidden close by.

Ric

Ric

No. Have an unloaded 12 gauge for home protection. If some fool breaks in my house in the middle of the night I'll rack the slide once or twice and that should change his mind. If not, I've got shells hidden close by.

Why don't you keep the gun loaded? An unloaded gun isn't worth much. I keep my Glock fully loaded and ready.
attachment.php

jekjr

jekjr

Why would anybody want an unloaded gun for anything? You might as well have a stick.

jekjr

jekjr

I personally think that everybody adult ought to be able to carry. I have been carrying more than not for 40 years. I have never shot anybody and very few people know I carry. I don't carry to make a point or to draw attention. I carry because if I am put into position to protect myself or others important to me. I am too old to fight and do not intend to wallow around on the ground with some idiot. Besides an armed society is a polite society.

jekjr

jekjr

One other thought. The Second Amendment is not about deer hunters. it is not necessarily even about home intruders. It is to about having a government that needs to be kept in check.

Z

ziti

Jekjr, I don't keep my shotgun loaded because, except on weekends and holidays, nobody's home during the day and would hate the thought of opening the door just to stare down the barrel of my own 12-gauge.

Ric

Ric

Jekjr, I don't keep my shotgun loaded because, except on weekends and holidays, nobody's home during the day and would hate the thought of opening the door just to stare down the barrel of my own 12-gauge.

How hard is it to get a carry permit? You could get a Glock or a Smith and take it with you.

Z

ziti

Ric, I don't have any real need for a concealed weapon permit. So far, the only time I really needed my 12-gauge locked, loaded and on stand-by was back in 92'. At the time, I was living in South Florida (Cutler Ridge, half-way between Miami and Homestead) and East of U.S. 1 when we got hit with Hurricane Andrew.

D

DrLove38

Life Member

jekjr

jekjr

How hard is it to get a carry permit? You could get a Glock or a Smith and take it with you.

I have had a permit since I was old enough to get one. I think it was 19 years old. I am now 59. Carry almost always. Just like a fire extinguisher. I hope I never need it.

Crnbinder

Crnbinder

Yes have been for many years

M

Mikel1

One other thought. The Second Amendment is not about deer hunters. it is not necessarily even about home intruders. It is to about having a government that needs to be kept in check.
Individuals have the right to bear arms.
Originally it was to keep the federal government from disarming the citizens militia. I'm guessing this was what you were referring to.

T

Trukfr8

I am a member of NRA, I do not own a firearm but I believe in the 2nd Amendment

B

bertsmobile1

have you actually read the entire amendment ?

So you believe in forming a militia to fight your own police or army should they become corrupt or tyranical ?
Or do you 1/2 believe in it so anyone can turn some one else's son or daughter into dog food ?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Own firearms, plan on joining NRA.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

have you actually read the entire amendment ?

So you believe in forming a militia to fight your own police or army should they become corrupt or tyranical ?
Or do you 1/2 believe in it so anyone can turn some one else's son or daughter into dog food ?

I guess i see where you stand.

2 cents worth: Yes, i believe in forming a militia to fight my own police or government if the become tyranical.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

Boobala

Boobala

Are YOU compiling a list for "BIG-BROTHER" ..?? BE CAREFUL, with the divided country we live in, it's a VERY controversial item to be discussed here, I'm sure there are at least a few, mower-owning folks, that are ANTI-GUN minded folks, it's a political hot-bed these days, just MY opinion,..:ban:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So in this case what does that ":ban:" mean???

Boobala

Boobala

So in this case what does that ":ban:" mean???

BAN the political hot-bed talk, before we get a HEATED argument on the forum, whereas people might say things they'll regret later, it could have been asked as .. (example) are YOU PRO-gun or ANTI-gun . PERIOD ! NO further comment ! Why would a gun-owner offer up that info. ?? NO I'm NOT paranoid, just thinking that IF someone ( I'm sure the GOV is ) has such a listing those would be the first to lose them in some obscure attempt at gun collection for removal from society, do you know how Hitler exterminated 6 million Jews, and conquered the surrounding countries ?? gun confiscation was step 1, think it CAN't happen here ?? well I think this country would see a revolution that would boggle the mind, and I dare say the fatality rate among our own people would far exceed the totals of ANY war we were ever engaged in, just food for thought, but that's my own opinion.

B

bertsmobile1

I guess i see where you stand.

2 cents worth: Yes, i believe in forming a militia to fight my own police or government if the become tyranical.

Well the three phrases are connected so they come as a complete unit yet most seem to ignore the 1st & 3rd phrases and just quote the 2nd.

And I do not have any problem with gun ownership . Our government went way way way too far with the laws down here.
OTOH we don't have mass slayings or drive bys with armour piercing rounds.

C

cashman

If the Government really wanted to control guns in the USA, they should provide harsher penalties to individuals who are found to be in illegal possession of firearms. Also, they should clamp down on Pawn Shops that are run by mostly ex-cops that sell unregisterd firearms under the table to known criminals at a substantial profit.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I belonged to the NRA in the past but not lately.

Just as it is in the DEA's interest that drug abuse never go away (grow the agency, more employees, bigger budgets, lifetime careers with retirement benefits), the same thing applies to the NRA.

I asked the NRA for a list of the salaries of the top ten people. They wouldn't do it. LaPierre has probably netted about $25 million in his time at the NRA, and probably prays every night that Feinstein, Pelosi or Schumbag introduce some new gun legislation.

M

Mikel1

:thumbsup:

M

Mikel1

Own firearms, plan on joining NRA.
Thought it was a requirement in Texas to own a gun.:wink:
I know several people that aren't NRA members that have guns. They think the govt will not come for their guns. You never know with antigun groups and Peta, HSUS which put up abused animals on tv to sucker people into donating but funds are going against hunting.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If they think the government will come for the guns, they don't believe in the 2nd amendment very strongly.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thought it was a requirement in Texas to own a gun.

What! It isn't??!! :smile::wink:

R

Richard hopkins

Yes I am, Proud of it

B

bertsmobile1

Ever noticed how this thread always reappears just after a mass shooting ?
Usually by some on who has just joined.

And just for the curious we banned all military type self loading weapons decades ago.
Naturally the moron politicians went way too far, banning BB guns as well.
The gun related crime has not moved and criminals shooting each other has stayed the same.
But there has not been a single mass shooting of innocent people since then so ( used to be 1 every 2 years or so ) it can be said to have worked.
Gun ownership actually has gone up, particularly amongst small farmers so it was good for the gun retailers in the long run.

Apparently there are 30,000,000 gun owners in the USA.
If some one thinks the law enforcement agencies are ever going to confiscate them , have a think just how many people would be needed to do it. It will never happen.
Registeration of fire arms, made owners a lot more careful about where they store them & how they store them, so the number of children who grabbed daddy's guns and shoot some one with them has dropped to almost nil.

It has also been a boon for illegal gun importers as the black market price of hand guns went up 10 times so it was a win win win situation.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, it’s been nearly five years since I posted this poll, and 66% of the repondents state that they are either members of the NRA, or intend to become members. By contrast, the adult population of the United States is 196 million, but NRA membership is only 5 million, or less than 3%. So, it seems that this forum appeals to a certain extreme minority demographic that is not representative of the USA as a whole. I had no agenda when I posted this poll, and was just idly curious as to the makeup of people who frequent this forum. I guess this forum could just as easily be renamed “Lawnmowers and Guns.” :tongue:

B

bertsmobile1

You must have sat next to a political adviser or advertising consultant.
There is a thing called RANDOM SAMPELING.
IS this forum RANDOM so likely to be representative of the entire population ?

NO

By and large this forum is populated by people who live on large blocks of land.
People who live on large blocks of land as more likely to be hunters and more likely to own a firearm
I doubt that many here live in NY apartments , or Detroit attached housing , or villas.
So cut out all of the people who live in a building that is devoid of either a garden or lawn and you are looking at a substantially smaller group.

How many people have introduced them selves as living on a 1/4 acre 1/5 acre or a 1/6 acre property ?.

Me thinks you will find a higher than average support for President Trump here as well although politics is banned.
People who like to fix things are also more likely to appreciate fire arms as a collectable item of precision machinery.
I do not shoot but I do have a collection of fire arms made by the BSA because I am a BSA enthusiasts.
Because of the laws down here I have to be a member of a gun club and have a locked cabinet to hold my inoperative 100 - 250 year old long arms.
I know a Husqvarna enthusiast who is also in the same boat, except he has cannons and funny enough he lives on 50 acres, has a few ride on mowers & fixes them himself not to different to the bloke who restores old fire engines.

cpurvis

cpurvis

[quote[I guess this forum could just as easily be renamed “Lawnmowers and Guns.”[/quote]

Or you could go to a gun forum and see how many own lawnmowers. Probably get close to 100% correspondence over there.

V

VolFan

Absolutely, and proud of it!

Boobala

Boobala

Congratulations Guy's !!

You're all on Big Brothers Watch-List .... !!

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I used to be. Until they became a bunch of lobbyist. Too many lobbyist in DC already. In Texas, we don't have a 2nd Amendment right. Because if we want to conceal or open carry, we have get a permit. If you have to get a government permit, to me, that's like having to ask for permission. And if you have to do that, then it's really not a right. I'm amazed at how many people go get a permit and say their exercising their 2nd.

IMO, we don't need an NRA lobbyist. We need more constitutional politicians. (Like Ron Paul)

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

If they think the government will come for the guns, they don't believe in the 2nd amendment very strongly.

I don't believe the federal government will come for anyone's guns. What they'll do is make up something to charge you with. Then take your guns while they're taking you. Thats what they did to David Koresh. Said he was a child molester and went after him. Trying to make an example.
Luckily, all they did was show how vicious the Fed's can be.

1pep

1pep

A wise man is or should be ..

pep

D

deriter

Life member.

John R

John R

That's like having a smoke alarm without batteries

S

SidecarFlip

yes and always will be. I would vote for ted nugent for pres. in a heart beat

Don't know if I'd go that far.. His brother is my neighbor up north and unlike Thaddeus, he don't have a big mouth. Ted Nugent has a runny mouth.

H

HDCowboy42

I own plenty of guns and I used to be a NRA member but quit after it started getting too political!

Ronno6

Ronno6

Being a member of the NRA means that you pay dues for the
privilege of continually being solicited for donations.......
I would have to believe that the NRA spends more than your annual dues
in pamphlets, donation solicitations and postage to mail that stuff out.

I couldn't stand it, so I did not renew...............

cpurvis

cpurvis

Being a member of the NRA means that you pay dues for the
privilege of continually being solicited for donations.......
I would have to believe that the NRA spends more than your annual dues
in pamphlets, donation solicitations and postage to mail that stuff out.

I couldn't stand it, so I did not renew...............

Same here, not to mention Wayne La Pierre and his buddies lining their pockets.

Like the DEA, they have no interest whatsoever in defeating their enemy.

Ronno6

Ronno6

'Tis the same in all of politics, as well as many "charitable" organizations.

Pity.......

P

Pigeonroosst

I am a life member, but do not agree with all of our methods. I do believe NRA and Hand Gun Control are "strange bedfellows"

Flintmotorsports

Flintmotorsports

no i am not.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

I'm only not, because my rifle is at my sister's house and I'm here in Germany. For unusual circumstances, more questions should have been added to this poll, for accuracy

Ronno6

Ronno6

Now I'm thinking about ending my blood donations to the Red Cross.

As a 'thank you" for my blood donations, I am "awarded" several opportunities each year to donate $$$$$$ to them.
Sorta like...If I don't donate $$$ they might not have the wherewithall to get my blood to where it is needed.
(They didn't say that, but.....)

That kinda aggravates me a bit.............(well, MORE than just a bit!)

Boobala

Boobala

I find myself in agreement with the following statement :

529654_262065493930732_46408792_n (Medium).jpg

A

ARN Greencare

NRA pushed to ban bump stocks, and now want national red flag laws, among other anit-2A legislation. So, "no," I am proudly a former member of the NRA. GOA gets my support, and USCCA, NRA needs to be dismantled, they are hurting our gun rights these days.

B

bertsmobile1

0 children shot while at school
0 children shot while playing in public parks
0 people shot while out partying
0 people shot at church praying
0 people shot at funerals
0 shop attendants / tellers shot by armed hold ups
0 people shot in their cars by car jackers
0 people shot by police because they thought the person was armed

So do guns really make you "free"
Or just make dealers , manufacturers & lobbyists millions ?
Are you safer or just suckers ?

You decide

cpurvis

cpurvis

Here in the USA? Safer.

Apparently you don't have people inclined to commit mass murder. Much the same as in Switzerland, where virtually everyone is armed. Two completely different approaches but the same result.

No one in the USA commits murder because they're compelled by guns to do so. They commit murder because they want to and if guns weren't available, they'd still find a way.

BlazNT

BlazNT

The UK is thinking about banning knives because of the deaths from knives now out way deaths by guns. The US has always had more murders by a hammer than any other device. 4 times more. So if you do not have a gun you kill just the same. Until just recently the largest mass murder was by grape juice. The second largest was a knife.

B

bertsmobile1

Here in the USA? Safer.

Apparently you don't have people inclined to commit mass murder. Much the same as in Switzerland, where virtually everyone is armed. Two completely different approaches but the same result.

No one in the USA commits murder because they're compelled by guns to do so. They commit murder because they want to and if guns weren't available, they'd still find a way.

Quite right but some one committed to a random mass attack down here can not go get his AK 47 off the shelf behind the door then let fly with a dozen magazines.
That limits them to things like knives and a throwing knife has an effective range of around 20 yards and a hand knife an arms reach + the weapons length.
In most cases they can be disarmed with little more than your shirt if you know how to do it.
A pistol has an effective range of 50+ yards and long arms up to 1000 yards and in reality can only be stopped with a bullet .

Unlike what is glorified in almost every USA cop show, bullets flying around injure & kill lots of bystanders and a tiny fragment of a shell is quite capable of killing.
The person who died in the Lint Cafe shooting was hit with a 3gram fragment of a hard cased projectile.
She was in the operating theatre within 6 minutes of being shot but too much damage had been done to save her.

If I get upset with my boss I can not go home grab 3 rifles 2 shotguns and a 1/2 dozen handguns then go back to work and let loose on everyone in sight.
If my son feels humiliated at school he can not come home grab my gun the shoot up his teacher and all the other kids who laughed at him .
I can go to a nightclub with some friends who are homosexual without the fear that some religious nutter will jump onto the sage then let fly with multiple assult weapons till he runs out of ammo claiming "the Lord made me do it".

People are resourceful, as the McDonalds Chain Saw massacre proved and will use any weapon at hand so keeping firearms further away from them can only be a good idea.

I don't know if the NRA puts pressure on your media not to report shootings but I can not remember a single week where our news has not covered a mass or at least multiple shooting some where in the USA.
Now you lot got 10 times the people we have down here butt you could count the number of random shootings each year on the little fingers of one hand.

So no a firearm has never jumped out of the rack, grabbed it's owner and forced him go shoot passes by.
And by the same token, if that rife arm was locked away and the owner needed to get 2 other people to access that fire arm he is unlikely to go shoot passers by either.\
Americans can come to Australia and go joging without the fear that a random stranger will go past and shoot them
However Australians can not do the same in the USA , proven by the fact that last year 2 Aussies were shot by white middle class Americans for no apparent reason.
Not robbed, totally unknown to the killers who just shot them to find out what it feels like to shoot some one.

I actually have nothing against private fire arm ownership
I do have a problem with a hot head having a pistol in his glove box who is likely to pull it out & shoot you because he thought you cut him off on the freeway.
And I can not see any need for military grade firearms in private hands.
In a country with a lot of man eating animals like cougars, bears etc, I can see the need for hunters to have sem-automatics.
I have no problem with weapons collectors even to have an arsonnal of ex-military weapons, just so long as there are restriction to them accessing them when they are in an unfit mental condition.

cpurvis

cpurvis

To each his own. I have no desire to live in your country and I'm sure you have no desire to live in mine.

I can't help but wonder why our Wild West, Shoot 'Em Up Society doesn't keep all these immigrants from wanting to come here?

B

bertsmobile1

The UK is thinking about banning knives because of the deaths from knives now out way deaths by guns. The US has always had more murders by a hammer than any other device. 4 times more. So if you do not have a gun you kill just the same. Until just recently the largest mass murder was by grape juice. The second largest was a knife.

So some one with a knife killed more than 50 people and injured 400 more ?
2017 Las Vegas shooting.

Never head about the grape juice incident.

cpurvis

cpurvis

2017 Las Vegas shooting.

Some nut with a truck, ammonium nitrate, diesel fuel and racing fuel killed 160. (Oklahoma City) No gun involved.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

...Americans can come to Australia and go joging without the fear that a random stranger will go past and shoot them
However Australians can not do the same in the USA...

...In a country with a lot of man eating animals like cougars, bears etc, I can see the need for hunters to have sem-automatics...
More American joggers are likely to fall prey in Australia than Australians in America, simply because of the long-fanged spiders and most poisonous snakes you Aussies have there. What do you people do, when confronted by salt water crocodiles? I'm sure there aren't enough of you skilled enough to kill one with a throwing knife :rolleyes:
Okay, all joking aside, reading the Second Amendment carefully, this document wasn't meant to arm anybody who wants firearms to the gills. The purpose of this amendment was to prevent the government from erecting a standing army. Instead, every man was to be armed, in case there was a need for a public militia. In other words, the amendment was based on mistrust of the government rising up above her citizens of which we now witness a shadow government doing.
I moved from the U.S. to Germany, decades ago and can say that if there would be identicle firearms legislation in both countries modelled on the American one, there would be much more politeness not only in traffic here

B

bertsmobile1

Anti venom for the most deadly snakes spiders is distributed free to all public hospitals and administered free to any one bitten, even American tourists.
Salties are only a problem in the North and funny enough it is usually German tourist who get bitten.
Indonesia , Papua , Timor & Malasya are all in the salty zone and it does not seem to be a problem for them either.

As for,snakes Australia is lower on the total snake bite fatality list than the USA we average 2 /pa and you average 5/pa although on a % of population rate we would be way in front.
Our snakes are smarter than most
If you are too big for it to eat it will bite you but not with venom. They need that for catching food.
Last year 12 people died in traffic accident trying to get to a hospital after being bitten by a snake and none of them had any trace of venom.
75% who get bitten by snakes are men trying to kill one with a shovel and the most common bite site is on the right hand & forearm.
Snakes are protected so they all get fined as well as bitten.

Spiders are the same.
the most common spider bite site is on the toes of idiots who leave their shoes outside the back door overnight during the funnel web mating season.
They get bitten when putting their shoes on because a male funnel web has crawled in there to die after copulating all night.
Usually happens to wealthy idiots with expensive white wool carpet on their floors because they saw a photo in Vogue Living .

It is funny that particular nationalities seem more prone to particular causes of death down here
Japanese drown at surf beaches
Germans play with crocks
Poms get bitten by sharks
Yanks die of thirst in the outback.
Chinese fall off cliffs trying to get the perfect selfie & eat poison mushrooms
Middle Europeans seem to get stung by jellyfish on deserted beaches.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

...Usually happens to wealthy idiots...
When things get bad, over here, Australia and New Zealand are potentially planned destinations for our wealthy idiots. Maybe, there's some poetic justice awaiting for them. Unfortunately, not in N.Z., unless they end up in some Moari's cooking pot.
If P.O.M.s were not raised on flat warm beer, they might not hâve been so attractive to sharks, in case sharks also prefer flat warm beer.
Chinese seem to be victims of Darwin.
Germans seem to have gotten so used to the two-legged predators their government let in and even somehow rationalize their existence. So used that they can't tell the difference between civilised and barbaric species anymore.
Yanks die of thirst, because they're used to finding do-gooder/NGO-sponsored bottles of water distributed on the American side of the southern border.
Snakes in the U.S. also dose their venom, unless they're young ones with little experience. In the south west of the U.S., there are plenty of abandoned vehicles and other debris which make suitable homes for snakes. Danger usually occurs, therefore, through negligence, there

A

ARN Greencare

2017 Las Vegas shooting.

Mass killings by firearms are rare here in the US. Are shootings rare? No. But "mass killings" by a firearm is. Most mass killings are done by detonating devices and homemade bombs, just like in the rest of the world. And the biggest so far was done by box cutters. Yes, box cutters, do you know anything about the 911 attack over here?

Firearms have saved far more lives than they have killed. If laws could fix things, then we would need no self protection devices at all, or even police for that matter cause everyone would behave. And anti gun take firearms out of the hands of the innocent, leaving honest people defenseless. If laws fixed things, there would be no robbery, rape, murder, etc.

So in light of this, what makes you think that laws will take firearms out of the hands of the criminals? Why would they be concerned? And you can't say that it would make then harder to obtain. Look at Venezuela, Brazil, Mexico. These are all countries which citizens are prohibited from carrying a firearm. You have gangsters robbing people all the time, drug cartels ruling over people, sex trafficking, murder rate is high, and citizens are defenseless. You think if we disarm Americans completely that it wouldn't soon take over here? Chicago has the highest murder rate in the US, and it is a gun free city, yet this is where most gun violence takes place. Why? Cause criminals do not regard the law and obtain firearms anyway. Just like they obtain illegal drugs.

B

bertsmobile1

Well that depends upon the definition of mass shootings.
According to at least one USA who defines a mass shooting as one where 4 or more people other than the shooter are shot there were 317 mass shootings in 2018 till November and from memory there were a dozen more during December.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

So that is about 1 each & every day.

As for mass murder not involving fire arms they are quite rare .
Using the same criteria of 4 bystanders injured there were 26 mass murder incidents last year
A passer buy with a gun would not have prevented a single one of them .

There will always be people who for some reason or the other want to kill some one.
You will never be able to stop that happening.

However restricting the ready access to fire arms and the type of firearms available will reduce the number of emotional shootings.
Things like the 12 year old whoshot up his teacher then all of his classmates
What was supposed to happen, all of the 12 year olds pull their 38's and have a show down at the OK Corral for real ?
Was the teacher supposed to whip out he 48 and blast her students head off splattering his brains all over the walls & the other children.
And if your child was in the room and got accidentially shot would you say "No Worries, you got the shooter so I am happy to have a child with one arm or a bullet through his chest "?

It is hard enough for the fire arm experts to work out where & when it is safe to shoot an armed offender without Joe public whipping out his auto and letting fly with 20 rounds hoping no bystanders get turned into dog food.

As for comparrisons between a country like the USA that has a well trained police force and a reasonable culture of law & order to a regeime where the rule of law is not enforced and rule is effectivly by armed warlords is stupid even to a 5 year old.

The only thing that happens when you have a armed civilians running around at a shooting is a lot more people who should not get shot end up in ER.

And if you honestly believe the only way to obtain law & order is a civilised society is to have every one running around with a 48 strapped to their hip & an M16 in the trunk then I am wasting my time as excessive watching of The Rifleman, Wyatt Erpp etc, etc etc has caused cerebral necrosis to the point that reasoned rational debate with you is impossible.

As for 911, cabin crew trained in basic self defence would have nipped that in the bud
Unfortunately the USA travelling public would rather perve at a sexy hosties undies that be protected by properly trained staff.

All school age children should be taught basics self defence as in UNARMED COMBAT then a thug with a knife, boxcutter, crow bar, etc is no longer a petrified with fear threat.
The Arabs recognised a weakness in US society and exploited it.
Better security intell would have been a lot more use in protecting the people than every person on the planes carrying a fire arm.
Very few people can shoot another person.
It is a big problem when training security personnel and one of the reasons why a large number of ex-military personnel are such a mental mess and end up killing their family, usually with a fire arm.

Roger B

Roger B

Bertman,

Remain calm my friend. I am an Endowment Life Member of the NRA and a stalwart believer in the rights of the individual.. Always remember that the USA is a Republic, NOT a democracy. That we currently seem to be breeding ratschitt-rabid-nut cases, is a bit of a sticky wicket, but as has been pointed out previously by others, not much out of proportion to our norm..

The most sickening video I have ever witnessed was bulldozers crushing firearms in the land of OZ! If an individual does not have the right to protect the life of himself and his family, he has nothing. I would prefer to live with freedom, regardless of it's price..

Roger

B

bertsmobile1

Bertman,

Remain calm my friend. I am an Endowment Life Member of the NRA and a stalwart believer in the rights of the individual.. Always remember that the USA is a Republic, NOT a democracy. That we currently seem to be breeding ratschitt-rabid-nut cases, is a bit of a sticky wicket, but as has been pointed out previously by others, not much out of proportion to our norm..

The most sickening video I have ever witnessed was bulldozers crushing firearms in the land of OZ! If an individual does not have the right to protect the life of himself and his family, he has nothing. I would prefer to live with freedom, regardless of it's price..

Roger

Rodger,

You should know that I don't get hot & bothered by anything.
I have relations in South Africa where they sleep with firearms under their pillow to protect themselves from vigalantie black men.
To date more of the whites have been shot by each other accidentially ( or so they say ) than being shot by home invaiders.

A an ex- military man you should have been taught hand to hand and realize that a knife, sword, machette , hammer, chainsaw etc etc etc can all kill but can be defended against.
You can not do the same thing with a fire arm except with another fire arm.
So either no one is armed or everyone is armed.
Arming everyone means that lots of people with serious mental problems will end up armed or even worse, people under extreme emotional distress and acting in a temporary irrational mannar will also have easy access to a fire arm
Down here most shootings were a crime of passion and in the bulk of these cases innocent by-standers were also hit, in fact more by-standers were hit than any one else.
As people are people world wide I would expect it was some what similar over there.

If you know a single case where a by-stander whipped out a fire arm and protected the public, including their own family from a gun toting offender, I would be interested.
I am yet to hear a single law enforcement officer in any capacity saying it would be better if every one was carrying and come to think of it haven't heard the same from any military offical either.

As an ex-military person you should also know that the only time a person hits the target with every round in a uncontrolled ( real , not range ) situation is in movies & TV shows.

The idea that you are protecting your family by having an arsenal at their disposal is as silly as thinking you are providing for your family by buying a stack of lottery tickets.

You can protect your family by creating an enviroment where they are neither under threat nor feel threatened.
Otherwise you would have to be carrying 24/7 and always on alert for potential threats.
That means you are in a perpetul state of combat, and being combat aware is very stressful & tiring , as you should know.
If the fire arms are to "protect your family" then they have to be carrying 24/7 as well or a firearm has to be within arms reach at all times.

Now I have no objection to owning a fire arm, if you have a real need for one & have been properly trained, which is the case down here.
There are over 1,000,000 registered firearm owners down here, so that is about 4%.
However they can not carry in public so I don't have to size up every person walking through the workshop gate just in case they are carrying.
Our firemen ( and women ) know when they attend a house fire if there are firearms in there, so it makes their job easier as they know if they are in danger from exploding ordinance .

Ronno6

Ronno6

:thumbsup:

Fish

Fish

""If you know a single case where a by-stander whipped out a fire arm and protected the public, including their own family from a gun toting offender, I would be interested.""

That statement is quite silly, as we could do a simple search and come up with hundreds of examples in a short amount of time. Is your country's press heavily censored/stifled like it is in Britain? That may explain your views. Living in a country with restricted freedoms really affects the clear thinking of it's subjects. They tend to accept things that we here would find repulsive....

Ronno6

Ronno6

""If you know a single case where a by-stander whipped out a fire arm and protected the public, including their own family from a gun toting offender, I would be interested.""

That statement is quite silly, as we could do a simple search and come up with hundreds of examples in a short amount of time. Is your country's press heavily censored/stifled like it is in Britain? That may explain your views. Living in a country with restricted freedoms really affects the clear thinking of it's subjects. They tend to accept things that we here would find repulsive....

Uh oh........looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down....................

Bert's gettin' his fingers warmed up........

B

bertsmobile1

No,
like most of the worlds press, ours go for the sensational.
You can search for Mass shootings .
You can search for family shootings
However searching for shootings where bystanders came to the defence of others is a lot harder.

We usually just get how many people were killed or injured, after that details are scant & regularly wrong.
I have a mind , not just an opinion.

And again like most polar things, all those who publish statistics skew them to support whichever side they are pushing.
Thus the information needed to make a proper objective opinion is difficult to obtain.
There are better than a dozen sites that catalogue "mass shootings" and depending upon their bias the definition of "mass" shootings varies from 2 + the shooter to 6 + the shooter.
Some will only include deaths at the site of the shooting, & ignore those who died latter on .
Some ignore any one who is not killed
Others include every one as a victim even if they just got a band aid over a graze.

None seem to catalogue shootings into types in a manner that is objective & useful.
Because we have very few shootings so our researchers tend to do a lot more classifing
Things like single suicides , murder suicides due to depression , euthenasia + suicide .
Emotional shootings ( jilted lovers , unfaithful partners etc )
Strait planned murders
Psychopaths
Gangland shootings
Etc etc etc

Without that it is difficult to work out if the lives of the general public would be more or less danger if fireams are easier or more difficult to obtain.
From what good quality research that is availible down here it apears that restrictions on fire arms, remember they are not banned, has been a very very good thing for the general public.
No one can stop your partner killing you should they decide to, in fact no one can stop any one killing anyone else should they decide to do so. It is just not physically possible.
We can not even do that in highly regulated & secured enviroments like prisions so there is no chance of doing it in the open .
For most people it is hard to pull a trigger on another person, however it is a lot harder to stab , slash or club another person.

Since fire arms were restricted, the number on one on one emotionally triggered shootings has dropped to almost zero.
Emotional violence has not stopped & never will and it seems that guns have been replaced by cars & running down your partner or the "other person" has become the popular resort to violence.
However fewer people have died from being attacked by a car that died from being shot and a lot fewer by standers have been killed or seriously injured .

Bank robbers now threaten tellers with knives or syringes but these are easily defended against and very few bystanders 20' away end up injured in such attacks.

In the heat of the moment you can bash some one with a club, stab them, kick them, whatever and in most cases they will survive the attack & most will fully recover in time.
However when you pull a trigger in the heat of the moment the victim generally bleed to death before the ambulance arrives and very few will recover.
This is even worse if the trigger is on a fully automatic / rapid fire weapon of the type that is rightfully banned down here.

Now we do not have large preditors that are difficult to bring down here so allowing hunters rapid fire or fully automatic weapons might be justifiable, but then again most of the hunters I know tell me if you can not bring down your target with a single shot you should not be hunting.

Fish

Fish

True, the search engines are skewed, corrupt. That is the scariest thing of all.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes,
Go to the suicide prevention sites and look at their gun statistics then pop over to the NRA and see if there is a difference in the numbers quoted and more importantly how they are grouped.
The NRA put forward a male fantasy image of the children huddled behind mum's skirt who is standing behind dad, reloading.
Dad is there, guns blaizing blowing the intruders into oblivion.

In reality if you really want your family to be safe, buy a dog, or better still 3 dogs, train them right & treat them good.
So your family gets the joy only a faithful dog can bring and those who would do your family harm have 3 fearless defenders to deal with.
Shooting a moving dog is very difficult thing to do, knocking down 3 of them near impossible.
Training the dogs not to eat anything that you have not given them defeats the only real threat to them protecting your family, being baited.
They will also protect from snakes , usually keep your yard free of most wild life and be on guard 24/7 regardless of weather you are there or 200 miles away at a NRA gun support rally.

Fish

Fish

Shooting a moving dog?
You mean the intruders will have guns?
And I cannot?

B

bertsmobile1

Criminal will always have access to fire arms
the only logical arguement against fire arm restriction laws is just like drug laws it will create a criminal supply chain , which is quite a valid arguement.

OTOH down here if you get picked up carrying you get a manditory 12 months
Thus when violent gang members are questioned for any reason they can be pulled strait off the streets which has done a lot to reduce gang violence and in particular drive by shootings.
Police have a full month to lay charges , being caught with a fire arm means bail is automatically refused , a DNA sample can be taken,and that usually adds a long list of charges.
Any decient gang member considers 12 months a badge of honour and a couple of years a piece of cake but when they are looking at 10+ years they tend to be a lot more ameniable to turning "States Evidence"

cpurvis

cpurvis

Criminal will always have access to fire arms
the only logical arguement against fire arm restriction laws is just like drug laws it will create a criminal supply chain , which is quite a valid arguement.

OTOH down here if you get picked up carrying you get a manditory 12 months
Thus when violent gang members are questioned for any reason they can be pulled strait off the streets which has done a lot to reduce gang violence and in particular drive by shootings.
Police have a full month to lay charges , being caught with a fire arm means bail is automatically refused , a DNA sample can be taken,and that usually adds a long list of charges.
Any decient gang member considers 12 months a badge of honour and a couple of years a piece of cake but when they are looking at 10+ years they tend to be a lot more ameniable to turning "States Evidence"

And what is the law abiding citizen to use in defending himself against criminals?

Fish

Fish

And what is the law abiding citizen to use in defending himself against criminals?

Apparently he wants folks to be good at throwing cans of food.

B

bertsmobile1

The best defence you have sits upon your shoulders, not hanging off your hip.
For a fire arm to protect you at all times, you have to be carrying at all times and ready to shoot in a milli second.

About the only time a fire arm will protect your family is if you are black, hispanic , jewish or a witch and there is a mob storming up your drive wearing white robes, make America Great again T-shirts , swastickers or carrying flaming crosses.

I would sort of hoped that the good citizens of the USA had evolved past that state of mind quite some time ago.

You protect your family from criminal by creating a community where criminal activity is not tollerated, not by waving a gun at them.
You will not stop a mugger from mugging you just because you have a gun, not unless you have it in your hand, finger on trigger & safety off, lets hope you don't trip or sneeze.
OTOH the muggers with a knife at your daughters throat will be over the moon because those nice shinny side arms they have just reliever all of your family member of will buy them another weeks worth of drugs.
Pulling the .22 you have strapped to your anckle and shooting them as they run away will earn you a day in court where the other mugger, called lawers will relieve you the rest of your property.

When your daughters ex-boyfriend decides that if he can't have her no one else can so he is racing towards her in his dad's car at 65mph do you magically appear and manage to shot out his front tyre so he harmlessly crashes into that convienently placed tree thus missing your daughter & all of the other girls on their way home from school ?

When your son who is in a distressed state of mind because his girl friend dumped him, his cyber friends are downing on him and he sees no future, is that 12 gauge sitting behind the front door likely to protect him or is he likely to stick the barrels in his mouth & blow his head into tiny pieces or even worse go storming to the girlfriends place to turn her into dog food, then her dad seeing him coming up the drive pulls his assult rifle off the rack over the mantle & turns your son into dog food.

You can not be with every member of your family 24/7 so there fore you can not protect them 24/7 by your presence , with or without a fire arm.

You protect your family by educating them to respect others, and the views of others .
You protect your family by educating them not to be racist, sexist, homophobic or biggoted.
You protect your family by educating them to recognise unsafe situations and avoid them or at worse by verbally defusing hazardous situations.
You protect your family by teaching them not to humiliate others, particularly in public.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I simply asked what a person is to use against an armed criminal.

His 'head' is not a realistic answer.

Fish

Fish

Thank God we don't live in Australia!

Fish

Fish

It is sad that you are glad to lose your rights.
Did they go house to house to confiscate your guns?

Are you allowed to speak freely?

Or not so much?

B

bertsmobile1

I simply asked what a person is to use against an armed criminal.

His 'head' is not a realistic answer.

Well it is.
First off how did you come into contact with an armed criminal ?
Second most civilised police forces send in negotiators to talk armed people down ( using your head ) before they open fire
And lastly you question was very much situation dependent.
If I was in a corner store & confronted with an armed robber then a diverson can of food followed with a direction can of food might just be the right tool at the time , again using your head.
For a car jacker simply jambing on the brake or accelerator can do the trick, but reaching across to the glove box or centre colsole storage to retrieve your gun is likely to get you &/or every one in the vehicle shot as the criminal now has nothing to loose.
I drove cabs many times when work was hard to find and I worked the worst, least safe areas of Sydney, because that was where the most profit was.
Thus I have been threatened with every thing from a razor blade to an ex-police stub nosed 38.
The fact I am here writing this reply shows I managed each & every one of those encounters, some a bit better than others .
Now we all kept out tyre irons next to the seat by the door & I did have to resort to using it on more than one occasion, but pulling a gun on the potential assailant would not have improved my situation in any occurance.
In fact the drivers who did carry ( totally illegal ) ended up injured far many more times , including being shot by their own gun, than any one else. Probably ( suposition of course ) because they thought that the gun would some how protect them.

Then it come to using your head politically.
When are you, Mr Joe public most likely to be confronted by a fire arm brandishing criminal ?
Obvious answer, a property crime.
Why do the criminals steal ?
usually drug related
How do you stop this ?
Decrimalizing the drug trade, same as the booze wars were stopped by ending prohibition.
The FBI did not win by shooting all of the gang members did they ?

Portugal finally worked out that they would be better off legalizing drugs than keeping them illegal and receiving US foreign aid for doing so.
The result was violent property crime went down a whopping 70% ( roughly ) all property crime went down by over 50% and street mugging virtually vanished.
That is how you really use your "head" to keep your family safe.
Drug use initially went up around 30% then dropped and is still dropping as is the crime levels .

Then we could look at proper social security which reduces ( not ends ) the need for property crimes but we are now entering idealistic territory where rational debate is almost as impossible as rational religious debate.

To put the shoe on the other foot.
When , where & how do you propose having a fire arm protects your family ?
I know for a fact it does not work in South Africa , I have relations there and they are forever attending funerals for people accidentially shot.

B

bertsmobile1

Or not so much?

I could say it is sadder that you have to live in fear of being shot.
No they did not do a door to door & every fire arm confiscated was PAID for and that included things like Hisparno cannons that were WWII relics and of course can not be fired because the ammunition & the belts are no longer made & also without 200 mph airflow the gun will jamb from expansion.
We can own firearms, we only need to justify our possesion.
That made rational people think hard about weather they really needed to own a fire arm & better than 75% decided that they did not.
I am by the way a member of an antique fire arms club because I would like to own a long levered 3 banded Martini Henry, but I don't want it to shoot with.
My workshop is on a farm so there fore I could apply for a fire arms license and having passed the appropriate safety course purchase a fire arm appropriate to my needs which for here would be a shot gun.
OTOH I have learned to live with & control the snakes without the need for fire arms so I don't need to worry all the time about where the gun is just in case I need it.

But I can walk into a bank and not stand there trying to work out who is carrying and if I might be in the firing line.
My kids can go to school without having to worry about a deranged maniac shooting them in the playground or a class mate walking in and opening fire.

The entire idea of a RIGHT shows the problem with your mindset .
We actually have no rights apart from what others have bestowed upon us .
These of course can be revoked just as easy as they can be granted,'
That is unless you are a deeply religious person & believe that a God of some sort devined that you must be able to posses a non devine man made item.

Zero mass shootings speaks volumes so who is really free ?
The one who can walk the streets with confidence or the one who has to check out all of the vantage points for deranged maniacs ( religious or otherwise ) street gang members who might think you looked at them the wrong way or even the person who thinks you have parked in their spot & decided to blow you away.

The last thing any one down here needs is pity from the oppressed who feel that they are obliged to be armed to the teeth in order to enjoy their misguided idea of "freedom".

And before you completely divert the subject I am still waiting for an exact method of how that gun is protecting you & your family and who it is protecting them from.
I seriously would really like to know what threat is so great you need to be armed better than 1/2 the worlds military to protect yourself from.

cpurvis

cpurvis

You can leave out all the ifs, ands, and buts about circumstances and just answer the question. At that point, it makes no difference how you got in that situation; you're in it whether you like it or not.

What is the best thing to protect yourself with when the criminal has a gun?

cpurvis

cpurvis

The entire idea of a RIGHT shows the problem with your mindset .
We actually have no rights apart from what others have bestowed upon us .
These of course can be revoked just as easy as they can be granted,'
That is unless you are a deeply religious person & believe that a God of some sort devined that you must be able to posses a non devine man made item.

This proves you don't understand the concept of 'rights' enumerated in the first ten amendments of our Constitution. Those amendments do not bestow rights to citizens; they forbid the government from taking them away.

J

John Fitzgerald

Or not so much?
Bert didn't answer, but I from a quick research I gather you can be arrested in Australia (but maybe will not be) for speaking against someone or against the government. So, no technical freedom of speech there.

Ronno6

Ronno6

What is the best thing to protect yourself with when the criminal has a gun?

If you are a politician, you have your armed guards take the criminal out.
If you are Diane Feinstesn, you lay down your own gun so that he will do the same.(Urban legend...)
If you are a liberal, you kill him with a drone strike.
If you are a democrat, you give him everything your NEIGHBOR has.....
If you are obama, you apologize to him on a live newscast, or blame Bush if the criminal doesn't leave you in peace.
If you are the main stream media, you blame his plight on conservatives and display his photo and life's story for weeks on end.

If none of the above, you better be armed or be really quick with your fists or feet............

Fish

Fish

I live in a rural area, and if the police would happen to come, it would be over a half of an hour to get there.

Up at the end of the road, 2 years ago, we had a double murder, killed a teacher and her daughter, never solved.

Bodies were so badly beaten, throats cut, that it was not described in the local news.

That is why I want a gun.

If a gang of meth heads invades my house with clubs and knives, they will be shot.

Sorry liberal nutballs, that is the way it is.

Fish

Fish

If they happen to have guns......

Then it'll be like Saturday night in Sioux City!!!!

cpurvis

cpurvis

I'm in the same boat--I'm not in any city's jurisdiction, so the county cops will be who responds. So at least the first 10 minutes of any confrontation will be up to me to handle.

Fish

Fish

I have called our county's sherriff dept twice on a weekend night after midnight. Both times I was told that they were closed, and I needed to call the state police.

Padroo

Padroo

I own guns but would never join the NRA.

Ronno6

Ronno6

I own guns but would never join the NRA.

Ya pay yer dues to join, then they send you requests for donations about every week..........

Boobala

Boobala

Ya pay yer dues to join, then they send you requests for donations about every week..........

You must admit, like it or not, they DO have a pretty powerful lobby in Washington, all (like all the other lobbies) powered by BIG Bucks, and in the past, have had a strong influence on gun-law politics ......

Ronno6

Ronno6

You must admit, like it or not, they DO have a pretty powerful lobby in Washington, all (like all the other lobbies) powered by BIG Bucks, and in the past, have had a strong influence on gun-law politics ......

As it is powered by the big bucks, they don't need my scrawny little dollars..........

Fish

Fish

Now Planned Parenthood, powered by BIG BUCKS, and our tax dollars too!!
So they can buy politicians!!

cpurvis

cpurvis

Now Planned Parenthood, powered by BIG BUCKS, and our tax dollars too!!
So they can buy politicians!!

No kidding. I heard they received over $500 million from the Federal government last year. How much did the NRA get? I'm thinking it was $0.

Judging by that, I'd say PP has WAY more influence.

Fish

Fish

Well it is.
First off how did you come into contact with an armed criminal ?
Second most civilised police forces send in negotiators to talk armed people down ( using your head ) before they open fire
And lastly you question was very much situation dependent.
If I was in a corner store & confronted with an armed robber then a diverson can of food followed with a direction can of food might just be the right tool at the time , again using your head.
For a car jacker simply jambing on the brake or accelerator can do the trick, but reaching across to the glove box or centre colsole storage to retrieve your gun is likely to get you &/or every one in the vehicle shot as the criminal now has nothing to loose.
I drove cabs many times when work was hard to find and I worked the worst, least safe areas of Sydney, because that was where the most profit was.
Thus I have been threatened with every thing from a razor blade to an ex-police stub nosed 38.
The fact I am here writing this reply shows I managed each & every one of those encounters, some a bit better than others .
Now we all kept out tyre irons next to the seat by the door & I did have to resort to using it on more than one occasion, but pulling a gun on the potential assailant would not have improved my situation in any occurance.
In fact the drivers who did carry ( totally illegal ) ended up injured far many more times , including being shot by their own gun, than any one else. Probably ( suposition of course ) because they thought that the gun would some how protect them.

Then it come to using your head politically.
When are you, Mr Joe public most likely to be confronted by a fire arm brandishing criminal ?
Obvious answer, a property crime.
Why do the criminals steal ?
usually drug related
How do you stop this ?
Decrimalizing the drug trade, same as the booze wars were stopped by ending prohibition.
The FBI did not win by shooting all of the gang members did they ?

Portugal finally worked out that they would be better off legalizing drugs than keeping them illegal and receiving US foreign aid for doing so.
The result was violent property crime went down a whopping 70% ( roughly ) all property crime went down by over 50% and street mugging virtually vanished.
That is how you really use your "head" to keep your family safe.
Drug use initially went up around 30% then dropped and is still dropping as is the crime levels .

Then we could look at proper social security which reduces ( not ends ) the need for property crimes but we are now entering idealistic territory where rational debate is almost as impossible as rational religious debate.

To put the shoe on the other foot.
When , where & how do you propose having a fire arm protects your family ?
I know for a fact it does not work in South Africa , I have relations there and they are forever attending funerals for people accidentially shot.

Maybe these gals should have been armed with tyre irons?
Or a fully armed can of corn???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...killing-five-authorities-still-dont-know-why/

Fish

Fish

Sorry,
I get a tad defensive when a liberal on the other side of the planet thinks that I have no right to protect myself.

I fully plan on getting my "Conceal-carry" permit. So if I happen to be one of the one's in the bank, the victims will have a chance to survive.

G

graaar51

I was years ago and I still get invitations to come back with a free gift. What's funny is it's the same gift that I got many years ago.

Fish

Fish

I was years ago and I still get invitations to come back with a free gift. What's funny is it's the same gift that I got many years ago.

A semi-auto toaster?

D

deriter

After reading through this thread, I feel totally blessed to live in this USA. I have the freedom to call 911 and wait for minutes for help to come or I can defend myself and my family as to what or how I choose. This is why I am a member of the NRA because I feel they are our best defender of our 2nd Amendment freedoms. These freedoms to choose to join or not to join are another part of what freedom is about.

I wonder how well the no guns or weapons theory would work on the national level. Would some of the roughneck countries stay within their borders and behave themselves? What if we would get rid of our warplanes, missiles, battleships, etc. Just a thought. Personal defense and country defense. Not a lot of difference only on a bigger scale. IMO

B

bertsmobile1

After reading through this thread, I feel totally blessed to live in this USA. I have the freedom to call 911 and wait for minutes for help to come or I can defend myself and my family as to what or how I choose. This is why I am a member of the NRA because I feel they are our best defender of our 2nd Amendment freedoms. These freedoms to choose to join or not to join are another part of what freedom is about.

I wonder how well the no guns or weapons theory would work on the national level. Would some of the roughneck countries stay within their borders and behave themselves? What if we would get rid of our warplanes, missiles, battleships, etc. Just a thought. Personal defense and country defense. Not a lot of difference only on a bigger scale. IMO

Hard to call 911 when the cranky upset person you just passed thought you dissed him by the way you looked at him so he pulled his Glock out from his pants and put 15 rounds through your head , because the first one missed.
We have police to keep law & order
We have defence forces to protect our countries
All of these people are highly trained, they do not get emotional and go take their frustrations out on innocent bystanders.
They don't go to school and turn other peoples children into low quality dog food because some one teased them about being fat, dumb or stupid
They don't hear messages from God and go into a gay bar and shoot everyone who was in there.
If you and your guns are the only thing that can protect your family then you have to be with them 24/7 gun in hand finger on the trigger, and hope your see the shooter before the shooter see you.
Then be sure that what you thought was a shooter really was a shooter or you will do 20 years and you can not defend your totally defenceless family from the big bad world from inside the can.
Too many people have watched one too many re-runs of Davey Crocket.

As for worldwide dissarmerment, it would be fantastic but highly unlikley.
Take away the defence spending and the government would have enough money to pay you not to work.
SO the people who want to work & get ahead can and the ones who don't wont get in their way.
Most of the weapons never get used except for target practice then get superceeded and replaced with newer more expensive weapons which in turn never get used except for target practice till they again need replacing.
I am 68.
A few of my year became police.
In 1978 they were all armed
Not a one of them has ever drawn their weapon let alone used it other than on the range to be certified.

However if you have been so totally brainwashed that you honestly believe that you and you alone are the only person that can protect your family then you have failed myserably as a father by raising your children to be victims .
If you think the only time any one of them will be threatened will be when you are there and armed then you are dellusional .

But if the only thing that allows you to sleep at night is having enough weapons in your home to wage a small war then go ahead, just pray that a drugged up junkie housebreaker does not break into your home while you are out shopping with your family and greet you at your own door with your own guns.

D

deriter

Hard to call 911 when the cranky upset person you just passed thought you dissed him by the way you looked at him so he pulled his Glock out from his pants and put 15 rounds through your head , because the first one missed.
We have police to keep law & order
We have defence forces to protect our countries
All of these people are highly trained, they do not get emotional and go take their frustrations out on innocent bystanders.
They don't go to school and turn other peoples children into low quality dog food because some one teased them about being fat, dumb or stupid
They don't hear messages from God and go into a gay bar and shoot everyone who was in there.
If you and your guns are the only thing that can protect your family then you have to be with them 24/7 gun in hand finger on the trigger, and hope your see the shooter before the shooter see you.
Then be sure that what you thought was a shooter really was a shooter or you will do 20 years and you can not defend your totally defenceless family from the big bad world from inside the can.
Too many people have watched one too many re-runs of Davey Crocket.

As for worldwide dissarmerment, it would be fantastic but highly unlikley.
Take away the defence spending and the government would have enough money to pay you not to work.
SO the people who want to work & get ahead can and the ones who don't wont get in their way.
Most of the weapons never get used except for target practice then get superceeded and replaced with newer more expensive weapons which in turn never get used except for target practice till they again need replacing.
I am 68.
A few of my year became police.
In 1978 they were all armed
Not a one of them has ever drawn their weapon let alone used it other than on the range to be certified.

However if you have been so totally brainwashed that you honestly believe that you and you alone are the only person that can protect your family then you have failed myserably as a father by raising your children to be victims .
If you think the only time any one of them will be threatened will be when you are there and armed then you are dellusional .

But if the only thing that allows you to sleep at night is having enough weapons in your home to wage a small war then go ahead, just pray that a drugged up junkie housebreaker does not break into your home while you are out shopping with your family and greet you at your own door with your own guns.

We too have police to keep law and order. But they are not with me constantly like 24/7, so if I do call them they may be 2 to 15 minutes away. What do you think could possibly happen in that amount of time? I would much prefer the police take care of the problem, but if you are talking about self preservation, then it is my responsibility to take care of the situation. You can use your head all you want, but if you have someone cranked up on meth or a towel head wanting to cut your head off, then you are on your own.

I am 72 so I am of your vintage. So I too have seen the changes in this world. And for this country to be so bad,,,,,,,, we have people crossing our borders everyday to get in here illegally. Why do they do that if we as such a dangerous place. Shouldn't they be scared?

I have three boys all grown up now and I feel they are fully able to defend themselves and their families. Each one of them do own guns to some degree. So I don't feel like I am a total failure as a father or delusional in feeling I have to be with them to protect them. They stand on their own.

We already have people here that get paid for not working. It isn't right but they do it and get by with it.

Yep, I ain't looking for trouble. I just don't want any.

Oh and by the way, we don't make dog food out of our decessed up here just so ya know. ;-)

Fish

Fish

I live on the border of 3 counties, and calling for help is quite a crapshoot, 20-30 minutes minimum. We also have had almost 10 unsolved murders around here in the last 6 years.

About 5 miles from here, an old lady had a home invasion from some crackheads looking for money and drugs, when they didn't find much, they tortured and killed her cat in front of her, trying to get her to give them what they wanted.

Luckily, they let her live.

I have a hard time getting advice from folks that think that should think that I have no right to protect myself.

Fish

Fish

Our local sherriff closes at midnight on weekends, so you have to call back to the county seat/city, and they suggest
calling the state police.

B

bertsmobile1

You don't have gangs kicking down peoples doors any time of the day or night, ransacking the house, raping the women , and beating up the males if not abducting the young boys into their rank & killing males that they think may oppose them.
So it is a matter of degree.
I will always remember a work collegue who put it like this.
His child was ill & they ran out of water.
If he went to the well the gangs would kill him
If his young son went to the well he would be abducted.
If his elder son went to the well he would be beaten near death.
If his wife or any of his daughters went to the well they would be raped and perhaps killed.
If the child did not get water she would have died
What would you do in that situation ?
When his daughter died, he had enough so they put a bomb in their house and blew it up then spent 6 years getting to Australia.
By doing that it protected his extended family from the gangs as each one would blame the other.
They also could never ever contact any member of their extended familiy or friends.
And he was an educated man, a school teacher.
If the USA really wants to stop South Americans crossing the border then helping governments provide an effective police force would be a lot more fruitful than building a wall.
Being born dirt poor, I have had the priviledge of working with just about every group of illegal immigrant that has come to Australia with the exception of the current batch of Muslems.
Each & every one of them wanted the same thing.
To bring their children up in a safe enviroment and to work hard enough to live a reasonable life.
The idea that hoards are going to cross the border for the purpose of killing Americans is another dellusion.
Bad governments like to keep their population scared.
A scared population is less likely to toss out the current government.
In a anxious state the human mind is most receptive to suggestion and fear is the most anxious state your mind can be in.
Most criminal gangs use fear as the method of control, as do a lot of mainstream religions.
Most media uses anxiety to put your brain in a state where their customers ( the advertisers ) message will sink in.
This is one of the reasons why you feel so good when you spend a few days in the woods or on one of those cruises to nowhere if you have no contact to the outside world.

You are old enough to have suffered the effects of the cold war and in particular the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Even down here people suffered trauma and were glued to their transistors 24/7 expecting the end of the world to happen at any second.

Living every day, with the fear that the person you accidentially cut off on the freeway could pull a long arm & blow you into oblivion, is not my idea of free, although it might make Aussies better drivers :laughing:

And dog food is how a relation of a friend describes gun shot victims, collision victims etc.
As he says, what you see on TV is nothing like reality.
What gets put on his slab looks more like a pile of dog food than a person.

Fish

Fish

You don't have gangs kicking down peoples doors any time of the day or night, ransacking the house, raping the women , and beating up the males if not abducting the young boys into their rank & killing males that they think may oppose them.
So it is a matter of degree.
I will always remember a work collegue who put it like this.
His child was ill & they ran out of water.
If he went to the well the gangs would kill him
If his young son went to the well he would be abducted.
If his elder son went to the well he would be beaten near death.
If his wife or any of his daughters went to the well they would be raped and perhaps killed.
If the child did not get water she would have died
What would you do in that situation ?
When his daughter died, he had enough so they put a bomb in their house and blew it up then spent 6 years getting to Australia.
By doing that it protected his extended family from the gangs as each one would blame the other.
They also could never ever contact any member of their extended familiy or friends.
And he was an educated man, a school teacher.
If the USA really wants to stop South Americans crossing the border then helping governments provide an effective police force would be a lot more fruitful than building a wall.
Being born dirt poor, I have had the priviledge of working with just about every group of illegal immigrant that has come to Australia with the exception of the current batch of Muslems.
Each & every one of them wanted the same thing.
To bring their children up in a safe enviroment and to work hard enough to live a reasonable life.
The idea that hoards are going to cross the border for the purpose of killing Americans is another dellusion.
Bad governments like to keep their population scared.
A scared population is less likely to toss out the current government.
In a anxious state the human mind is most receptive to suggestion and fear is the most anxious state your mind can be in.
Most criminal gangs use fear as the method of control, as do a lot of mainstream religions.
Most media uses anxiety to put your brain in a state where their customers ( the advertisers ) message will sink in.
This is one of the reasons why you feel so good when you spend a few days in the woods or on one of those cruises to nowhere if you have no contact to the outside world.

You are old enough to have suffered the effects of the cold war and in particular the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Even down here people suffered trauma and were glued to their transistors 24/7 expecting the end of the world to happen at any second.

Living every day, with the fear that the person you accidentially cut off on the freeway could pull a long arm & blow you into oblivion, is not my idea of free, although it might make Aussies better drivers :laughing:

And dog food is how a relation of a friend describes gun shot victims, collision victims etc.
As he says, what you see on TV is nothing like reality.
What gets put on his slab looks more like a pile of dog food than a person.
Friggin hilarious!!

Fish

Fish

Sounds like a good argument to ban automobiles as well!!!

Fish

Fish

Airplanes have killed thousands, knives, whatever...

Australia doesn't seem to have an illegal immigration problem, I cannot figure out why??????

How USA's immigration crisis has anything to do with the liberal nutballs seizing our firearms, please explain why?

Fish

Fish

There is no better barrier/wall than an ocean, eh???

B

bertsmobile1

I live on the border of 3 counties, and calling for help is quite a crapshoot, 20-30 minutes minimum. We also have had almost 10 unsolved murders around here in the last 6 years.

About 5 miles from here, an old lady had a home invasion from some crackheads looking for money and drugs, when they didn't find much, they tortured and killed her cat in front of her, trying to get her to give them what they wanted.

Luckily, they let her live.

I have a hard time getting advice from folks that think that should think that I have no right to protect myself.

So should she have pulled a gun & hoped they ran away?
Should she have shot them ?
If she had a gun in her house would they have used it to shoot her or stolen it and used it to mug people in the street or car jack ?

The junkies were most likely local.
Good chance they knew her or knew of her.
They most likely 1/2 planned it by finding out she lived alone so was vunerable.

As for the 10 murders, how many used guns to kill the victim ?

If you hear a cat screaming in the night from the house next door would you ring them, go knock on the door unarmed , gather your weapon and go crash through the back door or just load up and watch through your window ?

And if every one has a firearm then the junkies would have had firearms as well.
What is more dangerous ?
A junkie
A junkie with a knife or syringe
A junkie with a firearm
You make your community safe by knowing them and watching out for each other, as if each & every one of your community is one of your own children.
You make yourself safe by doing the same.
If you are elderly & vunerable this is even more important.
Little things like not allowing yourself to get into a strict and thus predictable routine.

I live 60 mlles away for the city.
The day we bought our hose there we invited all of the neighbours, the entire street to a party to get to know them.
To our surprise some of the people who cam had lived there for decades but had never meet let alone spoken to people 2 doors away.
Now days once or twice a year the street holds street parties in the vacant cul-de Sac at the end of the street.
We all know each other, each others cars so when a car thief was trying to enter a neighbours car at the railway car park, another neighbour parked in front of it preventing the thieft.
Most of the people work a long way away so the neighbourhood is fairly well vacant during the working hours week days yet our neighbourhood has not suffered a single break & enter where as the houses across the other side of the gully have at least a weekly robbery.
In summer my wife travels to work by train & walks the 2 miles home, even if it is dark without fear as she knows every one she walks past and they know her.
Safety comes from what is on your shoulders, not what is hanging in your holster.
The way to protect yourself from the unknown stranger is to know the stranger not poke a fire arm in their face.

D

deriter

Ya know, I do carry home insurance. Why? Not because I plan on my house catching on fire or that a tornado is going to take it. I carry the insurance in case something does damage or destroy it. Same thing with defense.

So I guess you have described our government as being bad because some of us are upset with the illegals crossing our border and changing our culture and putting a burden on our economy. I want the wall just like I want the lock on my front door. It is the first line of defense.

I am still proud and feel blessed to live in this great country we call USA. It may not be great in the future if some have their ways. But I would really hate to see it go like some of the other ones have went. For those that don't like the way we live, then be happy where you are. There is evil out there and I really do not believe that one country is without this because of their government laws.

Old saying, different strokes for different folks. I like it here!

Fish

Fish

So should she have pulled a gun & hoped they ran away?
Should she have shot them ?
If she had a gun in her house would they have used it to shoot her or stolen it and used it to mug people in the street or car jack ?

The junkies were most likely local.
Good chance they knew her or knew of her.
They most likely 1/2 planned it by finding out she lived alone so was vunerable.

As for the 10 murders, how many used guns to kill the victim ?

If you hear a cat screaming in the night from the house next door would you ring them, go knock on the door unarmed , gather your weapon and go crash through the back door or just load up and watch through your window ?

And if every one has a firearm then the junkies would have had firearms as well.
What is more dangerous ?
A junkie
A junkie with a knife or syringe
A junkie with a firearm
You make your community safe by knowing them and watching out for each other, as if each & every one of your community is one of your own children.
You make yourself safe by doing the same.
If you are elderly & vunerable this is even more important.
Little things like not allowing yourself to get into a strict and thus predictable routine.

I live 60 mlles away for the city.
The day we bought our hose there we invited all of the neighbours, the entire street to a party to get to know them.
To our surprise some of the people who cam had lived there for decades but had never meet let alone spoken to people 2 doors away.
Now days once or twice a year the street holds street parties in the vacant cul-de Sac at the end of the street.
We all know each other, each others cars so when a car thief was trying to enter a neighbours car at the railway car park, another neighbour parked in front of it preventing the thieft.
Most of the people work a long way away so the neighbourhood is fairly well vacant during the working hours week days yet our neighbourhood has not suffered a single break & enter where as the houses across the other side of the gully have at least a weekly robbery.
In summer my wife travels to work by train & walks the 2 miles home, even if it is dark without fear as she knows every one she walks past and they know her.
Safety comes from what is on your shoulders, not what is hanging in your holster.
The way to protect yourself from the unknown stranger is to know the stranger not poke a fire arm in their face.
Good lord!!!

You liberals are some scary nuts!!!

Fish

Fish

If someone is trying to kill you,

SHOOT THE BASTARDS!!!!

Fish

Fish

The ladies in this instance were a teacher and her daughter.

The free press did not report on the details.

After a couple of years, it came out that the bodies were beaten with bats/clubs and their throats were slashed.

Fish

Fish

Another murder, well, just a missing mother, presumed dead.....

And in that light, her father was murdered a few years later... The specualtion involves the local police, as the main suspect in the mother's death was an ex-cop's brother, and her father was pursuing the case quite vigorisly....

Fish

Fish

Yeah, some moron wants to take my guns away....

B

bertsmobile1

Ya know, I do carry home insurance. Why? Not because I plan on my house catching on fire or that a tornado is going to take it. I carry the insurance in case something does damage or destroy it. Same thing with defense.

So I guess you have described our government as being bad because some of us are upset with the illegals crossing our border and changing our culture and putting a burden on our economy. I want the wall just like I want the lock on my front door. It is the first line of defense.

I am still proud and feel blessed to live in this great country we call USA. It may not be great in the future if some have their ways. But I would really hate to see it go like some of the other ones have went. For those that don't like the way we live, then be happy where you are. There is evil out there and I really do not believe that one country is without this because of their government laws.

Old saying, different strokes for different folks. I like it here!

I actually have a lot of friends in the USA and this is a time honoured topic for discussion over a beer or 3
Most of them agree the "protection for your wife & family" is a bit of a male fantasy.
They also "feel safer" by having them in their houses and agree it is more of a persecption than a reality.
And most agree there is no place for assult grade military weapons in a civilised society including the ones who owned firearms.

At no time in history has a wall protected the population behind it.
Didn't work in Germany
didn't work in China
Didn't work in The UK
and the virtual wall did not work in France
It didn't even work down here against rabbits & dingoes.

Very few people actually want to leave their community & culture.
Have you ever actually sat down and had a real conversation with an illegal ?
Mostly they are forced to do so by economic necessity or for safety.
The most dangerous towns in the world ( for gun deaths ) are in Mexico.

Having an armed population did not work in Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, Syria ,Somalia, Kenya, etc etc etc.
If one of the multitude of TV evangalist that you appear to have over there started to preach for an armed uprising, the USA could very quickly turn into a basket case.
Not as silly as it sounds when you think about it , They won't take over the country but you would not want to be between them & the National Guard.
Nothing more dangerous that a fanatic who believes that God is behind him & will protect him and these people rarely come from over the border.

And as for not having borders to protect, we had over 100,000 people who came here on a false vias or came with a valid one & never went home, in 2017 ( last year for numbers )
We get around 50,000 to 100,000 of these each & every year.
Considering the small size of out population ( 31,000,000 ) we actually have a bigger border problem than the USA does.
I had a full shift of around 120 foundry workers and all of them were illegals.
They were some of the finest men I have ever known.
Most were escaping the war in Cyprus which much like Kashmire had nothing to do with them.
They worked hard, used false names so got no social security, never went to a public hospital, never did anything that could draw attention form the police for fear of being deported and because they did not have a tax file number paid the top rate of 60% income tax.
Naturally they never put in a tax return, put their kids through private church based schooling and still managed to make enough to buy houses , so cost the tax payers absolutely nothing.
Because random breath testing came in , they left the cars at home & rode pushbikes to work.
All of them were textbook citizens with not so much as a single parking ticket amongst the lot of them.

And the front door on my house is locked, the back door is not locked and never has been unless we are on holidays and even then several neighbours have keys.
I just got back for doing 3 call outs.
The workshop was open, the gate was closed but not locked, the office door is not locked & never has been

And that is real freedom.

D

deriter

Bert, you or I neither have enough years left for you to convince me that your liberal ways are best. I am being totally honest with you, I would not trade countries. I like Australia, but I don't care for the disarming of its people. It works for awhile, but you have no freedom. I cannot explain that to a flaming liberal, but you lost your freedom with the gun ban.

You say walls never have worked? That's unbelievable! Look at Isreal!!!!!!!!!! Look at our border where we have walls. It does work. Our own Speaker of the House Pelosi has one around her home. We have them around our white house. They do work. Are they 100%, no. Not sure what is. But it cuts down the traffic everytime they use them.

I guess you got all the saints as illegals and we got the rough necks and dirt bags. A lot of them come here for jobs and they work hard and cause no problems. But there a bunch that do cause trouble. We have hospitals that close their doors because they cannot stay in operation because of the burden.

In the medical field they have a pill for just about everything except liberalism. What you have, I don't believe can be fixed.

So Bert, its been fun but I am going to give this thing a rest now and wish you the best. We will have to call this a draw because neither of us will change our ways.

Have a good day.

Deriter

B

bertsmobile1

Deriter
You are fairly well correct.
However always good to be involved in an intelligent conversation with some one who has a different point of view.
Very hard to convince an atheist that there is a God or a pious religious person there is not a God.
The nutters we elected went way too far and bit by bit some of the more stupid things like air rifles & bb guns are being repealed.
We did not totally disarm which is what the NRA preaches, we REGULATED & REGISTERED.
So nothing in an Aussie home that you would find on a battlefield unless the owner is a military weaponary collector in which case he ( and it is always men ) is a member of a registered collectors organization & the weapon is stored in an dissarmed condition.
In this particular case the parts required to make the weapon operable are under lock & key at a different site to the weapon.

Hunters & target shooters also have to be members of appropriate clubs & the club is responsible for training the person in appropriate weapons safety for the weapon before they endorse his license application which then goes to the police for criminal checks.
They can loose this right if they are found to be endorsing poorly trained people and the license is a big money maker so they are fairly careful.
It is not perfect but it does work most of the time.
The Lindt Cafe gunman managed to get a gun license despite being known to have mental problems & having a record for violence.
Farmers get automatic access to a limited range of weapons without having to be a gun club member.
Joe public is allowed to use a 5 round clip, farmers get 8 round clips & ferral animal shooters also get 8 rounds and government ones have just been allowed to use silencers.

After that you have to prove you need a weapon for your work or own protection.
Women get one fairly easily but men do have to really prove their case as most gun crime is done by men.

The Lindt Cafe hostage situation was the only time the public have been caught up in gun violence since 2000.
There has been the odd person caught in crossfire but not a single mass ( 3 or more shoot ) shooting .
Not a single gun robbery and most gun crimes have been domestic violence incidents where one party had a weapon.

The fire department love this to death as they know before attending a fire or motor vehicle collision if there is a high chance of there being ammo there.

As for living in gated communities, or behind high walls at home or even feeling so unsafe in your community you have to build a safe / panic room in your own home, that is not being free, that is being a prisoner in your own home.

And the one thing that the NRA never reports is the gun control legislation was put to the people as part of the Howard Governments election platform.
And they won that election by one of the biggest swings ever seen in Australian politics.
Unlike the USA we have prefferential & compulsory voting and the Howard government won the majority of the seats and a majority of the vote by a very big margin so the people wanted the law it was not rammed down our throats by jack boot wearing nazis.
The current vote on this forum is 2:1 in favour of the NRA and that is not a great margin and there would not be many apartment dwellers on this forum so it is not a representative cross section of the USA community.

S

SidecarFlip

I am until my membership expires this year, I'm done with the NRA and their support of Red Flag Laws. I'm going over to GOA.

S

SidecarFlip

Deriter
You are fairly well correct.
However always good to be involved in an intelligent conversation with some one who has a different point of view.
Very hard to convince an atheist that there is a God or a pious religious person there is not a God.
The nutters we elected went way too far and bit by bit some of the more stupid things like air rifles & bb guns are being repealed.
We did not totally disarm which is what the NRA preaches, we REGULATED & REGISTERED.
So nothing in an Aussie home that you would find on a battlefield unless the owner is a military weaponary collector in which case he ( and it is always men ) is a member of a registered collectors organization & the weapon is stored in an dissarmed condition.
In this particular case the parts required to make the weapon operable are under lock & key at a different site to the weapon.

Hunters & target shooters also have to be members of appropriate clubs & the club is responsible for training the person in appropriate weapons safety for the weapon before they endorse his license application which then goes to the police for criminal checks.
They can loose this right if they are found to be endorsing poorly trained people and the license is a big money maker so they are fairly careful.
It is not perfect but it does work most of the time.
The Lindt Cafe gunman managed to get a gun license despite being known to have mental problems & having a record for violence.
Farmers get automatic access to a limited range of weapons without having to be a gun club member.
Joe public is allowed to use a 5 round clip, farmers get 8 round clips & ferral animal shooters also get 8 rounds and government ones have just been allowed to use silencers.

After that you have to prove you need a weapon for your work or own protection.
Women get one fairly easily but men do have to really prove their case as most gun crime is done by men.

The Lindt Cafe hostage situation was the only time the public have been caught up in gun violence since 2000.
There has been the odd person caught in crossfire but not a single mass ( 3 or more shoot ) shooting .
Not a single gun robbery and most gun crimes have been domestic violence incidents where one party had a weapon.

The fire department love this to death as they know before attending a fire or motor vehicle collision if there is a high chance of there being ammo there.

As for living in gated communities, or behind high walls at home or even feeling so unsafe in your community you have to build a safe / panic room in your own home, that is not being free, that is being a prisoner in your own home.

And the one thing that the NRA never reports is the gun control legislation was put to the people as part of the Howard Governments election platform.
And they won that election by one of the biggest swings ever seen in Australian politics.
Unlike the USA we have prefferential & compulsory voting and the Howard government won the majority of the seats and a majority of the vote by a very big margin so the people wanted the law it was not rammed down our throats by jack boot wearing nazis.
The current vote on this forum is 2:1 in favour of the NRA and that is not a great margin and there would not be many apartment dwellers on this forum so it is not a representative cross section of the USA community.

While I like Oz, I'd never live there. You people have a socialist view of firearms that is no in step with my views, at all.

S

SidecarFlip

conversely, there are a number of gun rights organizations here in the USA besides the NRA so being not the only organization and the poll listing only the NRA, the poll is tainted in it's results.

Fish

Fish

The wall discussion should also involve the laws at present regarding what happens to the "illegals" once they are caught on U.S. soil, as opposed to be prevented from doing so.
The facts about what happens in either case is never discussed in the press, as most Americans would opt for a wall, as well as a change of the insane laws, drones, etc....
But the masses have to endure with those in power trying to dupe them, so nothing gets changed.

Convert

Convert

Yes and proud to be a member.
Convert