Export thread

Are you a cat or dog person?

JDgreen

JDgreen

They say cats outnumber dogs as pets in the USA...so how many of you have dogs, how many of you have cats, and how many of you have both? We have one 11 year old orange and white tabby we adopted at one year as a stray someone gave us, a three year old black and white cat my step sis rescued as an abandoned feral kitten, a six month red old tabby I rescued this summer at five weeks old, when his barn cat mom abandoned him, and a year old tiger tabby who wandered into our house early in the winter of this February, and won't wander away again.

I am not counting the two barn cats who have taken up residence outside during the last month....:confused2:

grnspot110

grnspot110

I'll answer this way!

Attachments

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I've had both and both at the same time. At this time cats are out of the question. With the dogs I keep now a cat would ...well. It just wouldn't be fair to the cat. Unless the cat weighed 50 lbs or more:ashamed:
I suppose I'm more of the dog person. I would not have a litter box in the house and never have. Any cat I keep or have kept is going to be both in and out as are the the dogs, housebroken if you will.
I think most people would keep cats because they can be easier than a dog. The last cat I had died at about 15, he was a large black male named "Buster", very independent yet very friendly and affectionate. Don't know what breed he may have been, had a large round head a was afraid of nothing. He was neutered yet aparently very intimdating to other cats, I suspect because of his lack of fear.

H

Hershey

I'll have to say doggies since I've always had dogs. As a very young child, we did have cats, but the neighbors killed them. That was it for having felines.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I come down firmly in the dog camp. Here's a picture of Go-Go:

Go-Go-1a.jpg

There's always debate about whether dogs or cats are smarter. I believe, with the exception of a few really dumb dogs who are the exception rather than the rule, that dogs are much smarter.

Here's an article in the Daily Beast that confirms it.

D

Driller

Dogs all the way. It's not even a competition. Cats are fine; they are cool, but dogs give that extra special unconditional love that is so important.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I come down firmly in the dog camp. Here's a picture of Go-Go:

Go-Go-1a.jpg

There's always debate about whether dogs or cats are smarter. I believe, with the exception of a few really dumb dogs who are the exception rather than the rule, that dogs are much smarter.

Here's an article in the Daily Beast that confirms it.

That's a beautiful dog you have there....and I looked at the Daily Beast article....interesting. However, if dogs are so much smarter than cats, why don't our cats bug me when they need to go potty....?
I have read that a cat can be trained to use the toilet, has that ever been accomplished with a dog? Believe me, I would much rather scoop out litterboxes than pickup dog doo and hose down dog urine.

D

Driller

That's why I'd never really say whether one species was smarter than another. I've heard some remarkable cat stories. Then again, some of my canines have been highly intelligent.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's a beautiful dog you have there....and I looked at the Daily Beast article....interesting. However, if dogs are so much smarter than cats, why don't our cats bug me when they need to go potty....?
I have read that a cat can be trained to use the toilet, has that ever been accomplished with a dog? Believe me, I would much rather scoop out litterboxes than pickup dog doo and hose down dog urine.

I've had four German Shepherd Dogs and they have all been very easy to house train. When Go-Go was a puppy the big challenge was her chewing -- I had to dog-proof certain rooms, keep her in them and make sure she had an appropriate chew thing (usually a cow hoof).

The intelligence thing was meant as humor -- I believe it's true -- but measuring it means first agreeing on a definition of intelligence, which is subjective.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I've had four German Shepherd Dogs and they have all been very easy to house train. When Go-Go was a puppy the big challenge was her chewing -- I had to dog-proof certain rooms, keep her in them and make sure she had an appropriate chew thing (usually a cow hoof).

The intelligence thing was meant as humor -- I believe it's true -- but measuring it means first agreeing on a definition of intelligence, which is subjective.

Ummm--can't resist this dig...are you saying if the cat was more intelligent, you wouldn't have got him with the lawnmower...:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Ummm--can't resist this dig...are you saying if the cat was more intelligent, you wouldn't have got him with the lawnmower...:biggrin:

I should probably change that signature since it's been there for a while. I just thought it was funny - I've always liked jokes that take a dig at cats.

M

monica123

I have both cats and dogs at my home, and I have to say I like them equally really, I have always had both, even growing up.

I

indypower

I like both. Have neither now.
Two-Stroke..... Nice Rin Tin Tin you have.

B

bret

I like both as well. Dogs have a purpose as do the cats and I have enjoyed both over the years, just not for dinner, lol.

K

KennyV

I am definitely a dog guy....
BUT I have not been able to sit down for more than 10 seconds without this huge CAT jumping on my lap...
Actually he has been on my lap for several years, what a monster... nothing like a big HOT cat during the winter... :smile:KennyV

M

minkyung

I cannot choose :laughing: A dog is a great companion outdoors. They run and play with you. Very nice to be with.

But cats are excellent companions inside the home. They are charming, warm to touch or hold. They are funny too, especially when you let them run after something.

M

monica123

This is my newest addition to my family. It is a kitten from the stray that I rescued. He is just tiny, his brother is far bigger than he is.
crafts for xmas 001.jpg

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

This is my newest addition to my family. It is a kitten from the stray that I rescued. He is just tiny, his brother is far bigger than he is.
View attachment 745

He's a keeper.

JDgreen

JDgreen

View attachment 745

Ohhh, how adorable...looks to me about 5-6 weeks old, bless you for your rescue of the precious little furball. I rescued a feral kitten about the same age back in mid-June, cannot believe how much he has grown since then. Gotta try to post a pic of him here.

S

Stevie-Ray

View attachment 745
He is adorable! We're definitely cat people. I always thought I was a dog person, but when the wife pretty much forced our first cat on me, I was hooked. We've had them ever since. We just lost one of our "kids," a gorgeous Blue Mink Tonkinese that we had for 13 years. His brother is rather lost without him, but we've got a line on a Platinum Mink Tonk (like him) kitten to give him some company. Should be here near January's end.

M

monica123

I love my fur babies, I have 6 cats, 8 with the kittens, we are keeping the little guy shown and we have found a home for his brother.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I love my fur babies, I have 6 cats, 8 with the kittens, we are keeping the little guy shown and we have found a home for his brother.

My avatar shows my 3 year old cat, and the attachment shows the 6 month old kitten I rescued following my 12 year old tabby around the silo ledge...I gotta learn how to figure out how to post multiple pics.

Attachments

D

Driller

I just got a new mini cam, a cheapie, but I christened it by taking a couple of photos of my girls, so I thought I'd share one of them here. Doggie love is the best!

Attachments

JDgreen

JDgreen

I just got a new mini cam, a cheapie, but I christened it by taking a couple of photos of my girls, so I thought I'd share one of them here. Doggie love is the best!

So cute...I call that expression..."who, me...?"

JDgreen

JDgreen

This is our fourth cat, he wandered into our house last February on a bitterly cold night, the picture shows him with his "who, me?..." expression. I named him Tiggs because he is a tiger tabby, after having him a month I Googled the word "Tiggs", not knowing what it meant as slang. OOOPS. :laughing:

Attachments

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

All this talk of dogs vs, cats reminded me of a movie I loved that came out two years ago. Bolt is an animated movie from Disney that tells a story of a dog, a cat and a hamster who go on a cross-country road trip to help the dog ("Bolt", voiced by John Travolta) return to his master.

The cat (voiced by Susie Essman) stole the show in my opinion. The cat character is sarcastic and cynical; the hamster is goofy, while the dog is the "straight man" in this comedy. The cat has most of the best lines.

Thanks to everybody who posted photos of their pets. I always enjoy the pictures even though I'm not too crazy about cats.