Export thread

anyone familiar with this particular flywheel key?

J

juntjoo

It's the same one I'm working with. There should be this "key" kinda protruding from that space right? I should be able to feel it yes? Looks like nothing is there on mine. Last I checked I could turn the engine over with carb cleaner but it would immediately stall after.

Attachments

M

MowerNick

It appears to use a woodruff style key. If so then it would not stick out at all and sometimes you need to remove the flywheel to check the key itself.

B

Bertrrr

Woodruff keys stick out just like other keys , if it's not then it's sheared

V

VegetiveSteam

It's the same one I'm working with. There should be this "key" kinda protruding from that space right? I should be able to feel it yes? Looks like nothing is there on mine. Last I checked I could turn the engine over with carb cleaner but it would immediately stall after.
Take the flywheel off and look. It could be sheared but shearing a steel key on a push mower would be pretty hard to do without causing more damage to the crankshaft. Often it will break off the top of the shaft. Most push mower engines use an aluminum flywheel key.

H

hlw49

Post model type and code no. so someone can look it up.

J

juntjoo

Post model type and code no. so someone can look it up.
PH-XT675-2070. What's "code no"?

Where do you look it up?

V

VegetiveSteam

PH-XT675-2070. What's "code no"?

Where do you look it up?
kohlerengines.com

With Kohler it's the serial number. They don't call it code.

1704249893281.png

J

juntjoo

Looks to have been on the right place. 20240107_161648.jpg

V

VegetiveSteam

Agreed. Looks like there might be a minor oil leak somewhere.

H

hlw49

What is your problem?

J

juntjoo

What is your problem?
Right now so far it looks like I'm not getting any fuel. It's not getting to the bowl even though got spark and flywheel key looks good. So I've got like two other carbs that I don't recall couldn't get fuel. So I'll pop on in tomorrow and see what happens

J

juntjoo

What is your problem?
In another post I mention how I can get it started with carb spray but doesn't stay running

J

juntjoo

What is your problem?
If I take it out and blow through the fuel inlet should I expect it to be clogged? Could the float valve be stuck or something?

M

MowerNick

The main brass jet is probably clogged. It screws in to the card from where the bowl nut goes.

J

juntjoo

The main brass jet is probably clogged. It screws in to the card from where the bowl nut goes.
Really? I thought that jet gets fuel from the bowl no?

StarTech

StarTech

Really? I thought that jet gets fuel from the bowl no?
Sometimes I think posters don't even need to take the effort to get out bed at times. Especially when they have no idea of what they are doing.

From the service manual....
1704978238308.png1704978325473.png

J

juntjoo

Sometimes I think posters don't even need to take the effort to get out bed at times. Especially when they have no idea of what they are doing.

From the service manual....
View attachment 67582View attachment 67583
thanks. where did you get that?

anyway, got fuel into the bowl. maybe i freed some debris but not it seems to over flow into the main area out into the air filter. I found the needle valve to work against my lungs through a tube on the fuel inlet so not sure what that means. I have two other carburetors I test with...

StarTech

StarTech

thanks. where did you get that?
The Kohler XT series service manual. DUH

Jets submerged in fuel or not will clog over time.

J

juntjoo

The Kohler XT series service manual. DUH

Jets submerged in fuel or not will clog over time.
duh? lol. youi must be blast at parties

J

juntjoo

J

juntjoo

How do you tell the difference in how it runs being too rich or too lean? tomorrow I'll try tightening that idle speed adjustment screw. seems if I screw it in more it i will open up the throttle to give some more rpms at least. didn't finish mowing lawn the way it's running in the vid

StarTech

StarTech

duh? lol. youi must be blast at parties
Well you asked the stupid question when I had already indicated it was from the service manual.

Bare with me too as I dealing with the Idiot/Moron Ran Service (IRS) Taxpayer Advocacy Center. Going on 5 years and getting no where. Now I having to switch to a non profit operation because they are refusing to straighten out my account. So yes I a lot pissed otherwised. Matter of fact I just sent in my 1040 with no payment because of the idiocy.

J

juntjoo

Well you asked the stupid question when I had already indicated it was from the service manual.

Bare with me too as I dealing with the Idiot/Moron Ran Service (IRS) Taxpayer Advocacy Center. Going on 5 years and getting no where. Now I having to switch to a non profit operation because they are refusing to straighten out my account. So yes I a lot pissed otherwised. Matter of fact I just sent in my 1040 with no payment because of the idiocy.
I didn't know service manuals were just floating around for free for small engines. For vehicles I've always had to buy one. We'll that's good to know!

StarTech

StarTech

I didn't know service manuals were just floating around for free for small engines. For vehicles I've always had to buy one. We'll that's good to know!
Well many are not. I just happen to have Kohler dealer access to the manuals and technical bulletins for one thing. But the Kohler service manuals are available online for most of their engines.

Plus this particular manual is available online.

https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/14_690_01_EN.pdf

J

juntjoo

Well many are not. I just happen to have Kohler dealer access to the manuals and technical bulletins for one thing. But the Kohler service manuals are available online for most of their engines.

Plus this particular manual is available online.

https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/14_690_01_EN.pdf
Aha! So my ignorance is partially justified.. I'll sleep well tonight

I got it working with another carb that still needs work but I think I'd prefer this one cuz it's got all the original linkage on it my current on doesn't. Do I need the throttle and choke linked like that the way you see they're linked with the metal bar between them? As far as I can tell playing with it it opens the choke a bit while throttle is in idle position. This mower has worked fine with it originally or without it.

J

juntjoo

J

juntjoo

How open should the throttle be on these or just push mowers in general? Seems my throttle has plenty of opening room that would pull more power out of it, though not sure that would be it's main issue. Looks like it's running a little rich yes?

StarTech

StarTech

1705100935956.png

J

juntjoo

B

BRVANBIBBER

My impression would be 1st if the key is broken yes replace it but the answer to the question you should be asking, if you can prime the carb it runs then one would think your not getting fuel, now onto the real question is; the key if the flywheel spun past it then it would be out of time bit then chances of it starting would depend on how far past TDC! Also i have experianced small engines 5hp briggs on push mowers slipping out of time the key is a safe guard againts real damage.

J

juntjoo

My impression would be 1st if the key is broken yes replace it but the answer to the question you should be asking, if you can prime the carb it runs then one would think your not getting fuel, now onto the real question is; the key if the flywheel spun past it then it would be out of time bit then chances of it starting would depend on how far past TDC! Also i have experianced small engines 5hp briggs on push mowers slipping out of time the key is a safe guard againts real damage.
It's working now. I'm in to other imperfections but got both mowers working at least. No issues with any keys