Export thread

Any help on getting support from YAT/Craftsman?

W

wnlewis

I have a YAT (Your Advanced Tools (Chinese)/Craftsman) lawn mower. It was made in late 2019. I purchased it in June of 2020. No parts are available for it any more.

The engine is Briggs and Stratton (I've not looked for engine parts), but the body is by YAT. Sears disowns any knowledge of the Sears part number on the mower.

YAT was available for some information on the internet. They now appear to have disappeared completely.

The blade needs to be replaced. The part is YAT A025027-002. It has diagonal slots that hold the blade to the adapter.

If I could change the adapter to a standard Briggs and Stratton adapter then I could use a standard blade. Right now I can't locate a blade or an adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

what is the mowers model number?

W

wnlewis

B

bertsmobile1

Measure the shaft diameter
It is probably a EU B & S engine made in China and might have a 20mm or 25mm shaft.
In that case you will need an early Honda ( pre blade brakes ) blade holder and of course Honda blades.
If it has 7/8" shaft then just about any USA mower bade holder will fit.
The killer will be the cutting width.
IF it is 18" then it could have been made for the NZ / Aus market
Look at the after market parts suppliers catalogues for "blade adapter" or "Blade Holder "

W

wnlewis

Thanks! The blade is a 20" high lift mulcher.

I plan to measure the shaft and see what it is. I need to get away from the YAT blade and holder and go to a more universal blade holder.

Thanks again for the help!

StarTech

StarTech

Well with the Briggs number and type number someone could look up the crankshaft specs which at least narrow the hunt down a little.

B

bertsmobile1

DO they have the Chinese made engines in the Power Portal or just the USA made ones.
Some of the Chinese made B & S engines we saw down here had funny numbers that did not break down into the usual model code & type format.
These engines usually had a 12 digit number electro etched into the crankcase behind the carburettor.
Most of them had metric 20/25mm PTO shafts.

StarTech

StarTech

Bert, If you can give me an actual number I can look to see as it might the serial number format. I won't know until I get to try it.

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks Star.
Not looking for anything at the moment
When I get a new customer I like to download their IPL's so I have them on file and can get in consumables if I don't have them in stock.
As it would happen, the build quality on the Chinese assembled engines was so bad all of the locally branded mowers are now fitted with USA made B &S engine resplendent with big stars & stripes sticker stating "USA MADE ENGINE "
So it is only the throw away big box house brands that come with the Chinese assembled engines, and I just do not service them.
Just like I don't service Sanli , Talon, Ducar , Lifan or World Lawn .
The post was to help wnlewis just in case his engine was a Chinese assembled one with a different series of numbers.
We will have to wait & see what he comes back with .

StarTech

StarTech

Understood. It is you just peak my interest as I might see one them here knowing how cheap some vendors and users are. I have seen a couple Lifan engines on generators. A pain to get parts for here.

But of everything is now getting hard to easily get with all the back orders. And Covid see raising it ugly head again here too so things are going get worst yet again.

B

bertsmobile1

Next time one comes in I will try to remember to photograph it & post the pix.
Originally I thought it was fake but a little chat to the B & S dealer I get original parts from when needed assured me it was a genuine mower.
All sorts of thins like only 3 bolts holding to blower housing down, 1 screw on the vanity cover , bad fuel lines , etc , screamed "fake " to me

W

wnlewis

The B&S engine has the stars and stripes and says made in the USA.

The Serial Number is: 1911128768758

The Engine Model Number is: 093J020139F1

Made in November 2019

B

bertsmobile1

Then you should be fine if the PTO measures 7/8" diameter any one of 100 different blade holders will fit
There is nothing different from one maker to the next unless they have a Honda style blade clutch/ brake when the shaft will be a bit shorter.
So pick any maker who sells a 20" mower .
Just note weather the blades are stepped or flat because a stepped blade will of course reduce the overall cut height .

W

wnlewis

Thanks!

StarTech

StarTech

Crankshaft Specifications​

Service Part Number595024
PTO TypeStraight
Woodruff Key(s)2x #505
Square PTO Key #10.187 x 1.520 x 0.109
PTO Keyway #1 (mm)4.755 x 38.61 x 2.756
Square PTO Key #2-
PTO Keyway #2 (mm)-
PTO Threads0.375-24 UNF
PTO Shaft Diameter (in)0.874
PTO Shaft Diameter (mm)22.187
PTO Shaft Length (in)3.156
PTO Shaft Length (mm)80.162

J

Joed756

What the hell has happened to Craftsman? They used to be a reliable name brand.

StarTech

StarTech

Greedy stock holders...Just what will Briggs current downfall.

I

ILENGINE

The same thing Brigg is doing. Lets everybody else build their equipment and then putting their name on it. Since the purchase by Stanley and Stanley's purchase of MTD, MTD is basically the manufacturer of Craftsman now, but a couple years ago there were several companies building Craftsman and some of those companies have now went belly up.

W

wnlewis

Craftsman was sold by Sears to Stanley Black & Decker in order to try to keep Sears afloat. Stanley Black & Decker (which just completed the acquisition of MTD) prefers to keep money coming in from their own dealers.

Sears dealers have had to find other similar brands to make up for product that they can't get. YAT and Senix had the price point, etc.

However, we have now come to find out that we are depending on China for very basic parts of our lives - example, high fructose corn sweetener for Coca Cola, key ingredients for Tylenol, the computer chips that go into our fighter planes and ships, our lawn mowers and trimmers, etc. And the Chinese aren't very interested in "service after the sale."

So, when I have trouble sourcing a blade and adapter for a YAT/Craftsman/Briggs & Stratton mower, it is only an example of a much larger problem.

StarTech

StarTech

Yelp.. That is just working on a fairly new Snapper mower that Brigg provides parts but is actuctally built by Husqvarna. Briggs Snapper wasnt too smart however as Husqvarna put their part numbers on some of the parts. That how I save the customer nearly $100 on his repair by using the Husqvarna part instead buying them for m Briggs at an inflated price.

And SB&D buying MTD might why I started seeing so many MTD parts being back ordered and priced at near retail from my distributors.

B

bertsmobile1

It is all about dividends
The big investment houses now run nearly every large business now days
They demand massive increases in dividends every year or they vote the entire board & CEO out of the company so in place of running a business in a proper mannar on behalf of all shareholders they are hostage to a couple of very large shareholders
Investment houses do not care about the actual company or it's longevity all they want is profit so they milk it dry then pull their shares out and go ruin another business.
This is the natural end point for listed companies in a unregulated capitalist economy .
So when a superannuation / pension / investment business crows about beating the market by "x%" they have done it by destroying a company or two, usually cheating the government out of taxes and putting thousands out of work.

I

ILENGINE

Yelp.. That is just working on a fairly new Snapper mower that Brigg provides parts but is actuctally built by Husqvarna. Briggs Snapper wasnt too smart however as Husqvarna put their part numbers on some of the parts. That how I save the customer nearly $100 on his repair by using the Husqvarna part instead buying them for m Briggs at an inflated price.

And SB&D buying MTD might why I started seeing so many MTD parts being back ordered and priced at near retail from my distributors.
Snapper at Walmart mowers have been manufactured by MTD, Husqvarna, and another company with their only contact is info@chinesecompany dot com. No parts diagrams, not website just an email to contact them for parts or warranty information.

StarTech

StarTech

I kinda glad that I only need to stay in this line of work for a few more years then I just let the I know nothing bunch have at it. I am getting tired of the long battles in the war of machine repairs.

I

ILENGINE

@StarTech I have 9 years to retirement, so I will most likely be looking for that myself. But the ways things are moving I am not sure how much gas powered products will be used in 9 years, and the landfills will be filled with lithium ion batteries, and battery powered products.

StarTech

StarTech

@StarTech I have 9 years to retirement, so I will most likely be looking for that myself. But the ways things are moving I am not sure how much gas powered products will be used in 9 years, and the landfills will be filled with lithium ion batteries, and battery powered products.
Yes that happening now as I see more handheld with batteries in use. The commercial line might stay fuel powered a lot longer but consumers switching or at least trying switch to all electric units but they are finding out currently they only work well on well maintained lawns sorted like some of those gutless wonders they sold for riding mowers like the one I got before I upgraded it. It would not cut anything that had to have more than an inch remove.

It is just that these batteries can do a lot damage when they fail right now. They are not 100% safe as they have us to believe but of course nothing ever is.

I

ILENGINE

Yes that happening now as I see more handheld with batteries in use. The commercial line might stay fuel powered a lot longer but consumers switching or at least trying switch to all electric units but they are finding out currently they only work well on well maintained lawns sorted like some of those gutless wonders they sold for riding mowers like the one I got before I upgraded it. It would not cut anything that had to have more than an inch remove.

It is just that these batteries can do a lot damage when they fail right now. They are not 100% safe as they have us to believe but of course nothing ever is.
Salesman don't like it when I ask which battery powered chainsaw do I use to put the 24+ inch bar on.

B

bertsmobile1

Once the reincarnation of P C Barnham ( Musk ) has a few of his cars baking their occupants things will quieten down
And when a few more houses burn down because the battery tools / power walls burst into flames while recharging then demand will drop a bit .
Ride on sales are taking a dive around here as all of the 10 acre blocks hit the $ 2000000 mark and get sold for redevelopement into 50 x 0.2 acre lots which are selling for $250,000 to $ 400,000 at the moment and then they plop a 44 square house on it so a robot mower can cut the grass in 15 minutes.
My pension application is in right now.
Thought I could make a go of the repair business and sell it at a reasonable profit when I hit 70 next year but drought, bushfires, illness then Covid has put an end to that fantacy .
Although it is currently taking around 18 months to process pension applications due funny enough to Covid.
This thing is not going away and it will be at least 2024 before we are vaccinated to a level that we will not continually be tossed into lockdown because government officials can not do their jobs and properly quarrentine flight crews bringing in covid from overseas.
Delta is just the tip of the iceberg there are stronger & more deadly variants on their way as natural selection does what natural selection does .

StarTech

StarTech

And when a few more houses burn down because the battery tools / power walls burst into flames while recharging then demand will drop a bit .
I was lucky when my Nicad battery when into Geonuclear meltdown. It was sitting on a metal desk. It took a few days to cool down then it was major pain to get removed from the desk top along whatever was left of the charger.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes.
Having done chemistry I appreciate just how dangerous batteries are
Many of them have more energy stored in them than landmines , RPG & hand held rockets .
Yet we treat them with contempt.
MY small items like phones & torches get charged in the laundry tub
Bigger things like the drill & angle grinder get charged on the BBQ hot plate or welding bench