Export thread

anti vibration gloves?

M

monica123

Does anyone use anti-vibration gloves while using a mower or other lawn and garden equipment? I have a pair but they are hard to get used to wearing.

K

KennyV

You can either wear sap gloves or weight the handle of a vibrating tool ... either will work.

If you use weighted gloves you have to support the extra wt all the time... if you add to the handles you will not have to carry it...
Padding works ok also...

Some vibration is actually good for your skeletal structure .... too much though is not so good...
:smile:KennyV

H

hornet

I don't get much vibration when I'm using a mower so don't really see the need to have them. As far as I'm aware any vibration isn't good for skeletal structure, lots of injuries can be caused through long exposure to vibration.

grnspot110

grnspot110

I used "gel-filled" anti-vibration gloves when I ran a zero turn, don't need them with my JD F525. Bought them from Gempler's, expensive, but they worked well. ~~ grnspot110

M

monica123

I got the gloves from work in the old job I worked because we were responsible for using vibrating machines. They were expensive but the company paid for them.

K

KennyV

As far as I'm aware any vibration isn't good for skeletal structure,

Actually it is not only good for skeletal structure but also a tremendous help in neuromuscular AND strength building...
See vibration therapy... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

If you're mowing in warm weather consider fingerless cycling gloves. They're very light and have a padded palm. Here's a link. They come in many colors and styles.

I don't feel the need for gloves with either of my lawnmowers but my string trimmer vibrates a lot so the gloves are helpful with it.

lizard

lizard

Bad vibration can give some people..'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'..........no laughing matter.
Adjust your engine speed to the minimum of vibration if possible.

grnspot110

grnspot110

If you're mowing in warm weather consider fingerless cycling gloves. They're very light and have a padded palm. Here's a link. They come in many colors and styles.

I don't feel the need for gloves with either of my lawnmowers but my string trimmer vibrates a lot so the gloves are helpful with it.

The gloves I have from Gempler's are fingerless, best way to go in summer! ~~ grnspot110

M

monica123

Mine have fingers in them, I did not know they came fingerless. I dare say fingerless would be way better in warmer climates than whole gloves.

T

touree

You can either wear sap gloves or weight the handle of a vibrating tool ... either will work.

If you use weighted gloves you have to support the extra wt all the time... if you add to the handles you will not have to carry it...
Padding works ok also...

Some vibration is actually good for your skeletal structure .... too much though is not so good...

I kinda agree with you that some vibration is good for the skeletal structure but then to what extent would one deem vibration to be healthy? Perhaps until it starts making you uncomfortable?

C

CQ_DX

No ... this is a band-aid to the root problem which is the inherent vibration itself. If this is a mower, you need to address the balance of your blades. Blades MUST be properly CLEANED, SHARPENED, and ACCURATELY BALANCED using a precision balancer - i.e. (GOOD GRIEF!) not a nail !!!!

M

macky

I have this impression that vibration is an issue with diesel engines. Do gas-powered engines vibrate a lot too? I so, it has got to be a mechanical issue, indeed.

K

KennyV

Single cylinders will generally vibrate more than multi cylinders, the more cylinders usually provide the smoothest engine...
With any type engine, internal as well as external balancing goes a long way to smooth them up...

The majority of the objectionable vibration usually does come from the engine... an electric motor is pretty smooth :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I had a flash as to why string trimmers (aka "Weedeaters") vibrate so much. The plastic string is in two pieces, one on each side of the head. Since little bits of the plastic are constantly getting clipped off, the two sides are rarely, if ever, the same length. So one side will usually be heavier than the other.

Regarding one type of engine vs another, two-stroke motors spin faster and fire on every revolution, so they tend to run smoother. My Lawn Boy mower is a very smooth-running machine.

K

KennyV

Regarding one type of engine vs another, two-stroke motors spin faster and fire on every revolution, so they tend to run smoother. My Lawn Boy mower is a very smooth-running machine.

2 stroke engines are always MUCH smoother than 4 stroke...
Ever been around 2 cycle diesel engines, very smooth...and a LOT more power than 4 stroke...

grnspot110

grnspot110

No ... this is a band-aid to the root problem which is the inherent vibration itself. If this is a mower, you need to address the balance of your blades. Blades MUST be properly CLEANED, SHARPENED, and ACCURATELY BALANCED using a precision balancer - i.e. (GOOD GRIEF!) not a nail !!!!

Not necessarily! Try some of the ZTR mowers, any I've run put more vibration through the handlebars than other mowers. There's a reason they pad the handlebars! ~~ grnspot110

M

Manny

I have never heard of these? I don't understand how gloves can help the vibration. What are they made out of?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Ever been around 2 cycle diesel engines, very smooth...and a LOT more power than 4 stroke...

No, I've never seen one but I understand, in principal, how it would work.

I'm on my first diesel, a Kubota tractor, and really love it. My next truck will probably be diesel.

K

KennyV

I have never heard of these? I don't understand how gloves can help the vibration. What are they made out of?

They have powdered lead or lead shot in them... the increased weight/mass dampens vibration...

grnspot110

grnspot110

The ones I have are "gel-filled" in the palm. ~~ grnspot110

M

monica123

They sound like they would be awesome. I may have to check into them when these ones wear out. Are the gel ones expensive at all, or about the same price as the ones I have.

grnspot110

grnspot110

They sound like they would be awesome. I may have to check into them when these ones wear out. Are the gel ones expensive at all, or about the same price as the ones I have.

Not cheap, I think I gave in the mid teens ($$)/each, not pair, several years ago from Gemplers. ~~ grnspot110

A

abeja_reina_1989

I think they are wonderful. Yes, they are a bit awkward but nothing that you can't get used to. I mean, it's not like you have to do too much when you're on a ride lawn mower.

M

monica123

My current ones were forty of fifty dollars as the pair, so I figured they would be costly. I do know you usually have to pay for quality, that sort of thing, you want good quality.

S

S Haase

Does anyone use anti-vibration gloves while using a mower or other lawn and garden equipment? I have a pair but they are hard to get used to wearing.

I find them hot...

D

Darryl G

Fingerless bicycling gloves with gel padding work well. Also the Stihl Proscaper series gloves have a padded palm.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I use Husqvarna handheld equipment and have no need for anti vibration gloves because the equipment has anti vibration handles.