Another steering question.

Oldaarpy

Threads
I've installed needle bearings as per the various on line articles about the "poor man's power steering" and my Gt52XLSi definately steers easier. I've yet to understand how replacing perfectly good wheel bushings with bearings will make it steer easier yet. Can someone enlighten me? Is it really worth $20 for the bearings? Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is all about the contact area & the friction
In a roller bearing the only contact is a razor line along the length of the bearing rollers
On a ball is is just slightly bigger than the point of a pin
This is why rolling element bearings have to be so hard while bushes are usually soft

Oldaarpy

Threads
Yes, I understand all that...I'm having a hard time understanding how the front wheels rolling easier makes it steer easier. If it affected tire to ground contact I could understand that. As long as the tires are turning freely I don't see such a minor improvement doing much for the steering or maybe I'm just thick headed? Tom

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Any resistance will any turning to cause twisting thus putting more binding other bearings and bushings. Otherwords if spindle at the wheel does not give easily more force has to applied the other end that is trying to turn the spindle assy.

Oldaarpy

Threads
Any resistance will any turning to cause twisting thus putting more binding other bearings and bushings. Otherwords if spindle at the wheel does not give easily more force has to applied the other end that is trying to turn the spindle assy.
OK.....that makes sense. Thank you. The replacement of the bushings with bearing, in my case, sounds like a judgement call as far as value of the replacement goes. The bushings are original (2015) but look like new, I've kept them greased and the wheels turn freely with no wobble. Guess I'll think about before spending the money. Tom