Export thread

Alternate uses for Leaf Blowers

A

AndyMan

About the best use I ever saw for a leaf blower was when I was camping with my son. It was a cub scout event where we got to tent camp on the outfield of a local minor league baseball field.

The next morning they woke us all up at 6:30 am by using about a gajillion leaf blowers to blow all the trash out from under the stadium seats. The racket ensured that we were all awake and gone by 7:30!

C

carl22

My mother-in-law uses her leaf blower to clean out the inside of her truck. She says it's much better than vacuuming or sweeping. Just put away any important papers and such, and turn it on. Things afterwards will be a bit dusty, so the inside of the truck will need a quick wipe-down.

H

Hershey

I can see these uses for sure. Any time that you can a gust of wind, a leaf blower should do the trick. I keep mine handy.

JDgreen

JDgreen

About the best use I ever saw for a leaf blower was when I was camping with my son. It was a cub scout event where we got to tent camp on the outfield of a local minor league baseball field.

The next morning they woke us all up at 6:30 am by using about a gajillion leaf blowers to blow all the trash out from under the stadium seats. The racket ensured that we were all awake and gone by 7:30!

Hows this one...I wash all our vehicles at home, using a power washer....after the final rinse, I use a powerful electric blower to remove 90% of the water...usually I can finish drying a big car with a half dozen paper towels....does IT EVER SAVE TIME !!!!

And I usually clean my gutters several times in the fall, I made a long extension out of 2 inch PVC pipe with a "U" on the end, bought a used blower cheap at a garage sale that had no tubes, used a carriage bolt and some shimming to fit my PVC pipe extension into the nozzle, does it ever work great to clean debris from the gutters without using a ladder. Disclaimer: If you try this, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, the airflow blasts out lots of shingle granules...and if the leaves are wet, weat a hat too...:biggrin:

JDgreen

JDgreen

My mother-in-law uses her leaf blower to clean out the inside of her truck. She says it's much better than vacuuming or sweeping. Just put away any important papers and such, and turn it on. Things afterwards will be a bit dusty, so the inside of the truck will need a quick wipe-down.

She is doing it wrong...OPEN BOTH OR ALL DOORS and there will be almost nothing left...I use this trick on my GMC all the time even though it has leather seats. A powerful shop vac with a blower port and a flex hose with nozzle works a lot better than a leaf blower though, Lowes sell a tapering nozzle end for 2 1/2 inch hoses that is ideal.

grnspot110

grnspot110

They will also clear light snow!

M

Mean Machine

I use mine to clean off the roof and clean out the gutters once in early summer when everything is good and dry, and once in late fall before the rainy season hits.

K

KennyV

You can also use it to blow off your air cleaner filters on your diesel engines...
Works great without damaging them like a blast from an air compressor hose could...

The portable gas models are also great to help burn smoldering brush fires, or burn piles that just won't get started right... :smile:KennyV

H

Hershey

I have never thought about using the leaf blower to dry my car or get the leaves and gunk off. Thank you so much because I plan to do this very soon!

A

AndyMan

The portable gas models are also great to help burn smoldering brush fires, or burn piles that just won't get started right... :smile:KennyV

My father-in-law rigged up an blast furnace using a metal trash barrel with a grate on top, and a fire at the bottom. He blew his leaf blower in the bottom and could use that thing to burn ANYTHING! That thing would even melt glass! (A used diaper, however, came out barely scorched!:laughing:)

JDgreen

JDgreen

My father-in-law rigged up an blast furnace using a metal trash barrel with a grate on top, and a fire at the bottom. He blew his leaf blower in the bottom and could use that thing to burn ANYTHING! That thing would even melt glass! (A used diaper, however, came out barely scorched!:laughing:)

For my post #300, I gotta tell a funny story....:laughing:

I used stale gasoline to start a bonfire about 2 years ago, it was a huge pile of old records, junk mail, cancelled checks, etc. I wanted to be sure it lit easily in my approved burn pit, so I really soaked the pile with stale gas, stood way back, wrapped paper around a rock and lit the paper, threw it and BOOM, gas wasn't that stale. Wife said the boom rattled the windows of our house 200 feet away, a lot of the paper was blown up into the branches of the cedars overhead.

Told a friend about that, he related a story of some husband he knew, the husband had a burn barrel half full of used diapers, and like me, he went heavy on the gas, and according to my friend, the BOOM shredded most of the dirty diapers and blew them onto the tree branches overhead...and no, they didn't burn up there...his wife was really upset about the decorations...:laughing:

H

Hershey

Oh my! Now a lot of nasty could have happened with that, but I'm glad that now it's just another funny story to be shared with friends.

H

Harriet

It never occurred to me to use my new leaf blower for anything but leaves and such to clean up the yard. I'll bet it'll do a great job getting my cobwebs in the garage in the spring.

twocycletim

twocycletim

This is how I use my blowers:http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/wiretechbucket/pb2-2.jpg
This allows me to blow off driveways sidewalks and curbs without leaving my mower! I have a back pack blower that I add to the mix when I blow off parking lots, giving me the power of 3 blowers! Works great best thing I've ever come up with!:biggrin:

B

bret

Is there really such a thing as stale gasoline? I have never heard of that term. How long does gas take to get stale? I am curious to know.

Carl_NH

Carl_NH

Is there really such a thing as stale gasoline? I have never heard of that term. How long does gas take to get stale? I am curious to know.

60-90 days depending on the temp..

I use my Stihl 420 BP blower/sprayer for the obvious leaves/grass cleanup and as others stated to get bonfires going too. then;

Mosquito spraying, Herbicides on trees/plants, plant skydd treatment to prevent deer from eating the plant materials, cleaning out the garage and barn floor, blowing light snow, cleaning the truck bed.

jet62095

jet62095

Oh there are plenty.
- Clothes Dryer
- Scaring away Neighbors Cats and Dogs
- Scaring away Neighbors
- Scaring away the Mail Man
- Moving Sand
- Drowning out the sound of your pissed wife
- Making Music
- (if you mix the fuel right) Mosquito Fogger
- Forced (room temperature) Air Pump
- Redneck Turbo Charger

H

Hershey

LOL Okay, now that may be taking things a bit too far, especially with the dogs and the cats. I can't abide by that. The rest? I'm taking notes! :}

L

LandN

Hows this one...I wash all our vehicles at home, using a power washer....after the final rinse, I use a powerful electric blower to remove 90% of the water...usually I can finish drying a big car with a half dozen paper towels....does IT EVER SAVE TIME !!!!

And I usually clean my gutters several times in the fall, I made a long extension out of 2 inch PVC pipe with a "U" on the end, bought a used blower cheap at a garage sale that had no tubes, used a carriage bolt and some shimming to fit my PVC pipe extension into the nozzle, does it ever work great to clean debris from the gutters without using a ladder. Disclaimer: If you try this, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, the airflow blasts out lots of shingle granules...and if the leaves are wet, weat a hat too...:biggrin:

HI JD ,you got that right on the vehicle drying ,i use the gas blower(215mph and 470 cfm) on my truck for drying all the nooks and crannies and omg that thing is awsome :thumbsup:

L

lazylfarm

Leaf blowers are awesome for another use. When pulling long lengths of wire in large conduit, take a zip-lock bag, put a small bit of air in it, tie a string to it, place bag into one end of conduit, and leaf blower runs your string for your wire pull. Learned this from Electrical CO-OP.

BGC

BGC

(A used diaper, however, came out barely scorched!:laughing:)

Nothing will burn them things I don't believe anyways. We have used ours to blow up a jumping mat for a party once but never thought of these other ideas.

demhustler

demhustler

smaller - godd for transportation; backpack - good for not heavy snow remowal (the heavier the snow - the bigger bacpack (or double : ))))) YouTube - TwindStorm Dooly Ultimate Power- Productivity- Profit

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

(video by smpfilms)

Bob E

Bob E

My neighbor uses his to move anything from his driveway to my yard. Saw dust, dirt, leaves, stick, branches, trash... You name it and the jackass will blow it. :confused2:

metz12

metz12

Ive used mine to clean off cars and the driveway from snow, clean the gutters, dry off my truck to wax it after washing, and ive also used it to get a bigger fire going. i blew it into the fire to let it breathe. it worked really well!

jekjr

jekjr

This seems to be a pretty good useage.

Redneck Hairdryer.jpg

exotion

exotion

My neighbor uses his to move anything from his driveway to my yard. Saw dust, dirt, leaves, stick, branches, trash... You name it and the jackass will blow it. :confused2:

Blow it back and add some tacks :)

midnite rider

midnite rider

I have used mine at the softball field to dry the infield and clear the puddles after it rains so we can play ball. :biggrin:

midnite rider

midnite rider

Also use the blower to clean off debris from my walk behind and rider after mowing. It's quick and easy and I don't have to wash with water which can cause corrosion and remove grease from bearings and moving parts. :wink:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Also use the blower to clean off debris from my walk behind and rider after mowing. It's quick and easy and I don't have to wash with water which can cause corrosion and remove grease from bearings and moving parts. :wink:

Yeah I do that, too! :cool2:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I use my.old craftsman to suck up water from floos on the side of my house one time

metz12

metz12

i was going to write that in my post but i forgot! and thats a great idea blowing the puddles away! i have had alot of baseball games cancel because of that! will have to bring mine to a game that might be cancelled because of the puddles.

mikeypizano

mikeypizano

My favorite is with my BR600. I will use it, on idle, or just a tiny bit of gas, under my shirt and through hair when I am sweating really bad. With the sweat, you get COLD air! :biggrin:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My favorite is with my BR600. I will use it, on idle, or just a tiny bit of gas, under my shirt and through hair when I am sweating really bad. With the sweat, you get COLD air! :biggrin:

Good idea! That works better with a backpack blower than with a handheld blower because with the handheld the exhaust would be blown into your face! :eek:

exotion

exotion

I do this also its also good for getting that excessive amount of dust off you and out of your hair

Bomba

Bomba

60-90 days depending on the temp..

I use my Stihl 420 BP blower/sprayer for the obvious leaves/grass cleanup and as others stated to get bonfires going too. then;

Mosquito spraying, Herbicides on trees/plants, plant skydd treatment to prevent deer from eating the plant materials, cleaning out the garage and barn floor, blowing light snow, cleaning the truck bed.

How do u spray herbicides and for Mosquitos using a blower? Forgive my ignorance.

mikeypizano

mikeypizano

How do u spray herbicides and for Mosquitos using a blower? Forgive my ignorance.

They have specific models for spraying.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-blower-and-sprayer/sr450/

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yep, Echo also makes some for handheld blowers:
Yard Shield.jpg

Bomba

Bomba

midnite rider

midnite rider

Yep, Echo also makes some for handheld blowers:
View attachment 12722

The leaf blower was invented by Dom Quinto in the late 1950s. It was originally introduced to the United States as part of an agricultural chemical sprayer. Shortly thereafter manufacturers discovered that many consumers were removing the chemical dispensing parts from the device, leaving only the blower behind.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The leaf blower was invented by Dom Quinto in the late 1950s. It was originally introduced to the United States as part of an agricultural chemical sprayer. Shortly thereafter manufacturers discovered that many consumers were removing the chemical dispensing parts from the device, leaving only the blower behind.

Interesting! :rolleyes:

wjjones

wjjones

I didnt read every post, and someone else may have mentioned this one already but I use mine to blow off the mower deck, and blow all the grass, and debris out of the building where I store the equipment. I use it to blow out gutters too it works pretty good for that. I know one lady who tried too use a blower in her house instead of a broom it didnt work out to well.:laughing:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I know one lady who tried too use a blower in her house instead of a broom it didnt work out to well.:laughing:

Please tell me it was an electric blower! :confused2:

D

DaveTN

One good turn deserves another says I. Blow your clippings, sawdust (even if you have to haul some in), your riding mower deck etc. and blow it back across. I had a neighbor throw two Japanese beetle traps , full of course, over into my field. I picked them up, put a rock in the bottom of each and tossed them into the deep end of his pool. He never threw any more back over on me! Dave

wjjones

wjjones

Please tell me it was an electric blower! :confused2:

Nope it was gas I think she figured out it wasnt going to work.

wjjones

wjjones

One good turn deserves another says I. Blow your clippings, sawdust (even if you have to haul some in), your riding mower deck etc. and blow it back across. I had a neighbor throw two Japanese beetle traps , full of course, over into my field. I picked them up, put a rock in the bottom of each and tossed them into the deep end of his pool. He never threw any more back over on me! Dave

:thumbsup:

metz12

metz12

I also just thought of this. if i cut wood on somebodies lawn i blow the saw dust into the woods. i also talked my carpentry teachers at school to get a $30 electric blower for the shop. we not open up the big garage doors and just blow all the dust outside. then we blow that into the parking lot and let the janitors deal with it:laughing::thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Nope it was gas I think she figured out it wasnt going to work.

Yeah that would be bad! :eek:

B

Bullseye

I cut my wife's and daughters' hair outside. I use a small electric one to remove all the clippings from their faces, necks and clothing.

In my shop I use it to blast sawdust off of light fixtures and tools. I blow out electric motors to remove dust.

Jcg1112

Jcg1112

Tonight was parking the car and truck in the pole barn. Heard rattling around above in the rafters where some stuff is stored. I looked up and see a bird. It had been in there since the day before when I was last in the barn. Fired up the blower and stood in the truck bed and guided it down. It tired out and landed in a five gal bucket. I covered the bucket and brought it out and let it fly away.

exotion

exotion

I didnt read every post, and someone else may have mentioned this one already but I use mine to blow off the mower deck, and blow all the grass, and debris out of the building where I store the equipment. I use it to blow out gutters too it works pretty good for that. I know one lady who tried too use a blower in her house instead of a broom it didnt work out to well.:laughing:

If I have to mow in the rain (my boss doesn't care) I use the backpack blower under the mower decks between each mow and to clean out the bags helps a lot especially with clogging (toro proline)

demhustler

demhustler

here's on alternative leaf-blower use: junior vs senior staff
ntc-jet_03.jpg

little.wonder.blower.LWTeamUSDragster-FlyingSolo.jpg

in such competition juniors bound to receive a serious blow, moral defeat and deep trauma, but with due therapy and counseling they'll be ok)

in conventional uses as well
blw1.JPG

blw.a.gif

that's big boys leaf blower toys, for alternative uses on mine fields, airstrips, etc : ))))
ku-xlarge+%281%29.jpg

ussian-jet-engine-snow-blowers.jpg

- and some small staff (for blowing-off):
MPdKpMuolc4VMv9CDTKF.jpg

dc-warren-jet0001.jpg

Attachments