again bevel gear box

johnorlandi

Threads
Hi guys it is John again with the Agco Allis bevel gear box. I just installed a used BGB from the 70” s, shafts were nice and tight installed new seals but when I went to put the PTO the pivot spring loaded pulley assembly and the retaining ring (#2172206sm) it keeps popping out of the grove on the shaft. I tried a couple of other old retaining rings, and they do the same. I took a hack saw blade and cleaned out the grove, but the shaft is so hard that all it did was polish the grove. The grove appears deep enough. I ordered a new retaining ring and waiting for it to come in. I have a thought that if the new ring does not work can I use a “C” clip in that grove if that holds (see photo attached). What a project still better than buying a new tractor, I THINK! Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• IMG_0990 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0990 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 6

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If new retaining ring will not work I would give snap ring a try.
Thanks johnorlandi, Mark

Last edited:

johnorlandi

Threads
Thank You will let you know as soon as I get the new retaining ring and then the snap ring

johnorlandi

Threads
mechanic mark I just called the dealer who rebuilt my BGB twice and asked if there is a fix for the retainer ring coming out of the grove and he informed me that the plate assembly (clutch) has a grove in it to fit over the retainer ring. Playing with this before June 29 th just going crazy thinking I had another bad bevel gear box and now ready to finish up thanks for the info. How simple can it be

Attachments

• grove in clutch plate to hold retainer ring (Small).JPG
    grove in clutch plate to hold retainer ring (Small).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
  • retainer ring set in clutch grove (Small).JPG
    retainer ring set in clutch grove (Small).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1