Export thread

Advance Auto Parts (warning)

Bought a new Battery from Advance 5 years ago for my truck, And every couple years, I check / test the batteries around here. Anyhow voltage was fine, but amps were low. So working on getting the semi-sealed lid off to see if it needed water, the top decal lifts exposing another decal from Carquest, which Advance bought out back around 2014. And a made in date from 2015 on my battery.

Seems Advance just re-labeled a 3 year old battery & sold it to me as NEW in 2018.. Talked to store Mgr, & nothing.. He wasn't even working there then.. I'm no longer using them...

And working on talking to corporate about this.

Just FYI to others...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I quit shopping at advance 20 years ago when I got a remanufactured blower motor that was dead on arrival and they wouldn't exchange it and acted like I was trying to scam them.

StarTech

StarTech

I quit Advance as they kept losing my sales tax exemption certificate. And the last time two years ago they charged sales tx and refused to refund it. Oh well someone else is now getting the 3-5K in sales. I am also problems with O'reilly's getting them to set up my account properly They keep accepting my certificate but I am having to carry a copy in everytime. I have started using RockAuto a lot.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am setup tax free at o'riley and I get the mechanics discount.

StarTech

StarTech

I am setup tax free at o'riley and I get the mechanics discount.
Matbe I should try a different O'Reilly's as the one going is a bunch of idiots. When they a customer tells he needs a new brake master cylinder because its filters are clogged. Never seen filter in any bidirectional master cylinder.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I talked to the manager and he gave me a form to fill out about my business and my EIN and a business card. He sent that to corporate and a week later I am in the computer. I don't get a register receipt I get one off a printer with my info on it.

StarTech

StarTech

I talked to the manager and he gave me a form to fill out about my business and my EIN and a business card. He sent that to corporate and a week later I am in the computer. I don't get a register receipt I get one off a printer with my info on it.
Yes thatis what I done but someone keep dropping. I am on the third try now if that don't work I quit them. Maybe they can't handle a sole propriety business setup as my EIN is my SS#.

F

Forest#2

I've seen lots of what is suppose to be new parts from O'Reillys that parts manufacturer in the box in not same as on the box label. (and some look like used parts that have been returned)
I keep a heads up at O'Reilly's stores. I've also noticed that some of the employees do not know the difference between and carb and a lug nut.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

They have a high turnover rate and are usually fairly knowledgeable. Unlike the NAPA with the 2 girls working there that didn't know what a tapered roller bearing was and didn't know how to read a tape measure or a digital caliper.

F

Forest#2

They have a high turnover rate and are usually fairly knowledgeable. Unlike the NAPA with the 2 girls working there that didn't know what a tapered roller bearing was and didn't know how to read a tape measure or a digital caliper.

And one probably the Supervisor and the other the manager and both man haters.

Napa Know How is their slogan.
I asked for gallon of Automotive antifreeze at Napa and the salesman asked me what color coolant is in the radiator now. I said Orange.
He brought me a one gallon jug of pink/orange RV anti-freeze.

Moral of story: Keep a constant heads up when dealing with parts sales now days.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

And one probably the Supervisor and the other the manager and both man haters.
The girls were nice enough, just not well versed in automotive parts. I was the only person in the store so I took the time to show them how to read a tape measure and how to read a digital vernier caliper plus some stuff about different kinds if bearings. They thanked me.

Our local Napa has knowledgeable staff that has been there since I moved up here in 2006.

Advance is just a block closer. But now I'll only dump my used oils there..

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

O'Reillys is my go to,
I've been in a advance 1 time in the last 2 or 3 years and that was to get a Mopar oil filter that Oreillys didn't have in stock, and i didn't want to drive to Dodge across town.

I get certainly things from O'Reillys. No problems.

Well got my new AGM Napa battery installed in my panel truck.. Very pleased.

Advance Auto higher ups (Corporate) want to see pics of the date code in 2015, purchase receipt, & entire battery...
So they will have all that in a few days.

Anyhow, seems there are only about 3 battery mfgrs left in the US, tiko. So many are the same, just different labels for other supply houses.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I get certainly things from O'Reillys. No problems.

Well got my new AGM Napa battery installed in my panel truck.. Very pleased.

Advance Auto higher ups (Corporate) want to see pics of the date code in 2015, purchase receipt, & entire battery...
So they will have all that in a few days.

Anyhow, seems there are only about 3 battery mfgrs left in the US, tiko. So many are the same, just different labels for other supply houses.
Johnson Controls is the largest of them

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Johnson Controls is the largest of them
The upside to your battery issue with Advanced Auto is that you got 8 years of life out of a battery, which is phenomenal.
Do business with Auto Zone, O’Reillys, and Tractor Supply. Overall pretty happy with service and parts.

East Penn Manufacturing is also a very large one in Penna..

The upside to your battery issue with Advanced Auto is that you got 8 years of life out of a battery, which is phenomenal.
I wouldn't complain, but the 1st 3 years the battery was on their store shelf. I only had it 5 years.

That Sux.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The girls were nice enough, just not well versed in automotive parts. I was the only person in the store so I took the time to show them how to read a tape measure and how to read a digital vernier caliper plus some stuff about different kinds if bearings. They thanked me.
My parts store is better than your parts store

KM Richards

KM Richards

Seems Advance just re-labeled a 3 year old battery & sold it to me as NEW in 2018

I'd never buy a batter that does not have the manufacture's date of production label on it.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My parts store is better than your parts store
True

But mine is better looking. 😉

KM Richards

KM Richards

Oh yeah... parts store that mean bidness hire nice looking ladies so the guys enjoy coming in

I'd never buy a batter that does not have the manufacture's date of production label on it.
Neither would I, but the store added a new label w/new date.

KM Richards

KM Richards

Mmm, that would be consumer fraud that should be reported to the local district attorney's office!

upupandaway

upupandaway

the top decal lifts exposing another decal from Carquest,
A TroyBilt mower (with same motor as Toro Timemaster) did the same thing- top decal was starting to peel off. Can't they put the right sticker on the first time??

StarTech

StarTech

Apparently O'reily's is now hiring Space Cadets. Customer just left here said one the guys at O-reily's try taking off the radiator cap on a hot engine. What an idiot. Same place told the customer the brake master cylinder had filters.

KM Richards

KM Richards

one the guys at O-reily's try taking off the radiator cap on a hot engine.

That can make for some great youtube footage... so when one see this, they should stand back and get their cell phone out and start recording the audio /video! laughing4.gif

If they don't have any more common sense than to not do this, I see let 'em have at it and record it on video!

Same place told the customer the brake master cylinder had filters.

May as well ask them how much their blinker fluid is.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

All the auto parts stores don't pay squat and terrible work hours. They all have huge turnover. Knowledge is not required to pound on a keyboard.