Export thread

Adjusting throttle/governor - freshly rebuilt B&S 16hp Vanguard engine

H

hcanipe

I just had my 16 hp B&S 307333-0332-01 engine professionally rebuilt. (It was removed from my tractor and shipped out out-of-state for repair.) I am having trouble getting the throttle/governor adjusted. When I first started it, the engine would barely rise above idle when using the throttle control. However, I could manually open the carburetor butterfly and the engine speed would rise appropriately. How do I fix this and adjust the governor?

Thanks,
Henry

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Its easier to read here than it is to explain.
Governor System | Frequently Asked Questions | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton
Check the adjusting gov frequent asked questions.

H

hcanipe

I think the person that rebuilt my motor may have incorrectly installed the governor mechanism when rebuilding my motor. How far should I be able to turn the governor shaft? I can only adjust mine about 1/12 of a turn (the equivalent of 5 minutes on a 60 min clock face.)

silver1

silver1

I think the person that rebuilt my motor may have incorrectly installed the governor mechanism when rebuilding my motor. How far should I be able to turn the governor shaft? I can only adjust mine about 1/12 of a turn (the equivalent of 5 minutes on a 60 min clock face.)

They do not turn very much at the block. You should see the arm move an inch or more at the tip.