Export thread

Adjust reverse gear linkage? Loose spring? Husqvarna/Craftsman/MTD

B

bellc1

I have a Husqvarna riding mower, model YTH2042. I'm told it is the same as Craftsman or MTD and generally buy Crafstman parts (like the deck) from SearsPartsDirect.com but I have no comparison model number.

Two problems:

I can't shift fully into reverse. The handle won't go back to the full reverse position and I don't see how it is adjusted underneath to allow further travel. It DOES go into reverse but travels at a snail pace, probably because I can't move the lever all the way back. I have looked online and can't find a service manual anywhere, just an owners/parts manual which doesn't cover this. Any ideas?

I have a spring hanging down that I can see when I remove the back panel. But I don't know where it should be connected at or what direction it is supposed to be pulling/pushing the clutch-side pedal. Any help would be great!

Attachments

reddragon

reddragon

i believe your pictures are of the brake lever..not the gear lever...does it make a noise when you hit that limit point?

reddragon

reddragon

the hanging spring is supposed to be clamped to the bolt underneath it ....the brake lever bracket.......look closely to see the bolt with a gap in it and put back on..they can pop off.....ive never seen one on the rod like that...usually it spans from the brake bracket bolt to the lever

B

bellc1

You are correct in that it is the brake lever rod the spring has one end attached to. I'm not sure why I put that. I was guessing on the spring and if it goes to that bolt below it then I guessed right but I still haven't seen what it pulls forwards or backwards being there. It almost seems unnecessary which is why I wondered where it really goes. I'd kill for a picture.

As for the transmission, it is a hydrostatic (whatever that really means) transmission. When I pull the gear lever back to the reverse position, it only goes back maybe an inch or so. All motion in forward gear is fine. It's only backwards that I have the problem. Yet if I look at the linkage at the transmission, there really is no further travel possible which is why I'm wondering if something inside the transmission is causing the lever to only move back an inch.

reddragon

reddragon

heres a picture...the tranny thing is some thing im dealing with too...people say a sticking brake can cause it....as well as low fluid level..but if its not traveling as far it might be something broken inside...also since i dont know how long youve had it...maybe its a safety thing that you have to do before you go into reverse?

Attachments

B

bellc1

I think yours and mine are different. Other than the spring it doesn't look like mine. But it is interesting in that your spring isn't connected to the brake rod like mine is. I wonder if mine should even be on the brake rod, like maybe it was connected wrong by the dealer last summer?

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering.

Thanks! I really do appreciate your effort in trying to help me here!!!

reddragon

reddragon

you should have a return spring on the brake lever so it doesnt stick on....hope that works!

B

bellc1

I'm kinda getting that idea. :)

B

bellc1

Does anyone know how to adjust the linkage so I can get this fully working in reverse?

reddragon

reddragon

it doesnt make sense..you shouldnt have to adjust linkage....can you take more pictures?......heres your manual...Husqvarna Lawn Tractor Owner's Manual for the YTH2042 | ManualsOnline.....see if this helps.....and tell us what you find

B

bellc1

I hope this helps. The control lever will not go further than this position in reverse. It actually does go into reverse gear but like 1/8 mile per hour - totally useless.

The other is a side view over the right rear tire. You can see the shaft at the top (horizontal, then goes up on the left side) which is what the control lever looks like from below. Then it goes to where you see the bolts but adjusting those does not adjust lever travel.

I apologize for the delay in replying. I travel quite a bit but luckily without the mower. :)

Attachments

reddragon

reddragon

is neutral still in the neutral position?

B

bellc1

Forgive me. Yes, neutral is still full neutral and forward still has its complete range. Only reverse is the problem.

reddragon

reddragon

have you checked the lever on the trans for damage or stuff stuck in it?...if its not on the outside..its the inside .....and they're not serviceable:mad:.....unless it has a drain plug....around here i can get them for $100 used...i hate to tell you...some people remove the tranny...flip it upside down to drain the fluid and refill...but i have yet to here that cure's anything...make sure everything exterior is checked...then make the tough decision ..tell us what you find!...GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

reddragon

reddragon

final thought....you said the adjustments didnt work...did you try to move that gold bolt on the bottom of the picture all the way to the back and front of the slot?:frown:

O

originalswampfox

It has been a while since I've worked on one of these but bit sounds like a linkage issue. A few ideas: did it happen all at once? could the rod have been bent and just isn't long enough to push into reverse? does this mower have a cruise control. Just from memory I think there is a little gear control on the front end of the fwd/reverse shaft? Most of the time anything wrong inside the trans axle will affect both fwd and reverse. Maybe some of this rambling will jog somebody's memory. Mine's not very good

reddragon

reddragon

theres a drain plug boss on these [ i have 2 of them] that you can driil and tap..then change the oil...i think thats what im going to do to my craftsman thats having similar problem

B

bellc1

theres a drain plug boss on these [ i have 2 of them] that you can driil and tap..then change the oil...i think thats what im going to do to my craftsman thats having similar problem

My oil is okay. Just reverse doesn't work yet. As we wind down cutting the lawn for the year, I want to get this fixed. It was a pain in the tail manually pushing this is reverse when I needed to.

B

benski

My oil is okay. Just reverse doesn't work yet. As we wind down cutting the lawn for the year, I want to get this fixed. It was a pain in the tail manually pushing this is reverse when I needed to.

Will that spring reach back to a hole on the square back plate in behind the wheel?