Adding Fuel Filter

mower123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a B&S engine on my mower that does not have a fuel filter. I bought a car fuel filter that looks exactly like a mower/motorcycle fuel filter just double the size. I bought this b/c the stores in my area do not have mower filters available. I know I could buy online, but need to mow now. The fuel tubing is very short meaning the filter is almost the length of the distance between the gas tank and the side entrance of the carb. There is also a decline allowing gas to flow down hill from the tank to the carb. My thinking is that I could create a sideways loop to keep the decline, but was wondering if anyone has ever done this?

The fuel filter is very high quality compared to a mower filter and I assume it would last many years. Another reason why I would like to use it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best of british luck getting it to fit & work.

I might ask what is the gravity flow rate and micron size of your "substantially better" car filter but I doubt you would have the faintest idea.
You may have even lucked one in that has 1/4 " lines but most are 5/16" or 3/8" so getting it plumbed in might be a bit tricky to boot.

There is a good reason why there are 11 different fuel filters sitting on my parts shelves & it is not because I get excited by all that money tied up in parts.
Briggs make 2 almost identical looking filters for their engines out of different coloured plastic that are the same price.
Why go to all this effort ?
So idiots do not get the coarse 150 micron filter for gravity fed carbs made in red plasic mixed up with the finner 75 micron filter for mowers with impuse pumps made out of white plastic.
They are made small so they can fit between the tank & carb with enough fuel line to soak up vibrtions without fatiguing the plastic filter or fuel lines.

There are very few 1 or 2 cylinder cars out there so car filters are designed to run on engines that do not vibrate try much and to add to this they are generally secured firmly to the ody with a clip. Mower filters ar made to withstand swinging in the breeze hung of shaky 1 & 2 cylinder engines.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
bertsmobilel is right when he said best of british luck getting it to fit and work. A mower filter is designed for lower pressure and the modern car filters with the fuel injection is designed to work under much higher PSI. Just buy your self a cheap mower filter less then 5 dollars and just change it every year.

mower123

Forum Newbie
Threads
It works perfectly!!!! I think this filter will probably be the first and last filter my mower will ever need. It cost less than $2 and came with fuel line and clips.

How about them Lucky Charms.

Attachments

• lucky-charms.jpg
    lucky-charms.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
LIke you I did not have couseling so just replaced my Intek V fuel filter with an auto inline that is bigger. No problems. I am sure the pros are right and I also got lucky. Mine is a clear plastic unit hangs on Wal Mart display. The Intek has a little pulse driven fuel pump, not gravity.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It works perfectly!!!! I think this filter will probably be the first and last filter my mower will ever need. It cost less than $2 and came with fuel line and clips.

How about them Lucky Charms.

I really don't know why you never want to change your fuel filter. You said it cost 2 dollars. I would just call that cheap insurance. Now if its a car fuel filter that operates under high psi you would be looking anywhere from 10 to 30 dollars so I would say you got a good deal. A good quality mower filter runs a little less then 5 dollars. Also I can't say I have ever come across a plastic high pressure fuel filter, they are always metal because of the higher PSI's. Most fuel injection systems run about 60 +/- psi for the reason they need that much pressure to open the injectors is the only reason and the fuel filter is made to withstand them pressures for safety reasons, not to hold more dirt. The best of luck, your mower and money.