Mower deck 928D deck attachment/repair ??

mowmow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
Just found this group, and after recently acquiring this machine, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here might have answers for.
This is a '99 GH 928D2 with a 9661 deck. The tractor seems to be pretty good for it's age and the deck has/had some issues that I'll elaborate on shortly.
My first question is what is the proper way to attach the chains at the rear of the deck? I've attached some photos to help explain. In photo 1.jpg chain 1 was attached to point 2 and chain 3 was attached to point 4. This seems logical, but the instructions in the operator's manual only specify attaching chain 3 to point 4 (in fact, it is the only chain shown in the manual) and with the other chain attached, chain 3 remains slack while the rear of the deck is elevated and I am unable to level the deck per instructions, so what is the purpose of chain 1?
Now, as to the other issues with the deck, I noticed that the grass was cut very unevenly and upon investigation found that all 3 blades were operating at different angles. The center blade was tilted up at the front of the deck, the left blade tilted up at the left edge of the deck, and the blade at the discharge end of the deck tilted up at the right and back. Closer inspection showed that the deck was bent at the attachment points of all the spindles. After removing the liner in 4.jpg, the deformation of the main deck can be seen in 2.jpg and 3.jpg. This liner was made from a plate of steel a little over 1/8 in. thick, so after replacement with a new unit fabricated from 1/4 in. plate shown in 5.jpg. the grass is now much more even.
Has anyone else seen this sort of issues with these decks? I see that the spindles in the later model decks have 6 bolts instead of the 4 in mine and the base of the spindles is somewhat larger.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

173abn

Threads
I've got a 928D but your deck is differant than the one I have.My deck is a 9661,that is made in 1996 and 61" deck.It only has one chain that connects to one attach. pointIt also does'nt have those small casters on the rear.Look at the model # of your deck and compare it to the yr. of your tractor.It could be an older deck add on.That deck took some heavy duty abuse to substain that kind of damage.The newer spindels are designed to shed grass better underneath,thus the larger size,they won't work w/the older decks....russ

mowmow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 928D but your deck is differant than the one I have.My deck is a 9661,that is made in 1996 and 61" deck.It only has one chain that connects to one attach. pointIt also does'nt have those small casters on the rear.Look at the model # of your deck and compare it to the yr. of your tractor.It could be an older deck add on.That deck took some heavy duty abuse to substain that kind of damage.The newer spindels are designed to shed grass better underneath,thus the larger size,they won't work w/the older decks....russ

Russ,
Thanks for the come-back.
The plate on the deck says model# 9661, serial# 495344. 61" deck.
Tractor serial# is 491732 so the S/N chart makes them both '99 models.
763 hours on the meter, and the meter does seem to be functioning correctly.
My first thought was that it had something to do with the hydraulic lift, but that seems to work the same whether the chain is attached to the lower attachment point on the deck or not, as long as the catches are engaged on the attachment arms that allow the deck to flip up. Then I wondered if those chains were for attaching some other tool, but then there ARE those lower attaching pins on the back of the deck.... so I'm still mystified. REALLY like the machine now that it cuts evenly. We just have a couple acres to mow & this thing makes a fairly pleasant diversion of what was a considerable chore.
Picked up a really nice 3 year old model 961 vacuum grass catcher over the weekend. Looks like it's been used maybe 2 or 3 times :>) (Wife likes to mow the grass & I'm trying to encourage that sentiment.)

173abn

Threads
Good for her.I'm going to look at my deck closer tomorrow on that attachment point and will get back to you...russ