'84 Toro w/Aluminum Deck

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hey all, I've been working on an old Toro for a couple weeks (slow project) and I've put about $90 into new parts for it, I'm almost done and have a couple questions.

I happen to have a copy of the manual and it states 3000RPM. After trying out this mower after rebuilding, I was quite disappointed at it's cutting power, having to go super slow in grass that is tall but doesn't kill my other mowers. So, I got curious and whipped out a cheap tach I have, lo and behold I got a whopping 1470RPM max reading out of it. I'm going to play with the cable control tomorrow as the carb isn't adjustable. What do you guys recommend as a safe RPM? I've done a bit of reading online and the consensus for the Techumesh models is 2600-2800. Just trying to get a well-rounded safe number.

I have about $90 in parts into it, a few parts in the BBC were rusted in place. Then I got a carb kit and new intake gaskets, new spark plug, new fuel line and a fuel filter. Lubricated the recoil start and added new pull cord. I've completely disassembled the BBC mechanism and lubricated all moving points as well as the wheels. Blade looks to be recently sharpened. The mower starts on the first pull, even without priming on a cool morning. Doesn't smoke and the rings/cylinder look to be in decent condition. The aluminum deck is worn but has many years left, there was a small crack but I drilled it then cut excess metal off with a dremel, looks fine and won't affect structural integrity. I also have the bag and it looks to be in nice condition, no rips or questionable areas.
With all this info, what should I ask for it on Craigslist? I was thinking $180-$200. Is that too crazy?

Parkmower

Threads
natenkiki2004 said:
With all this info, what should I ask for it on Craigslist? I was thinking $180-$200. Is that too crazy?

IMO yes that's crazy.
I think 100-140 is a more realistic price.
I understand you have $90 into and want to make money but it's still a 20 year old mower. The only way you'll get $200 is if it's a collectable. And with a Tecumseh I don't think it is.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I completely appreciate your honesty :) I did read that quite a few were disappointed when Toro went with Tecumseh for this model. The rest of the mower is fantastic, but, I'm not fond of Tecumseh either. Honestly, there's been a few times where I've thought about $150 because I want a quick sell and really need the $$. Plus, as long as I get a profit for my efforts, things are good. I think how it performs at proper RPM will affect price, I mean, I was really bummed when I saw it's poor cutting power. But if it cuts good, starts on the first pull, doesn't smoke and has a bunch of new parts, I think people would want to buy it over the cheapest Chinese unit at Home Depot.

Parkmower

Threads
natenkiki2004 said:
I think people would want to buy it over the cheapest Chinese unit at Home Depot.

I wish this was true but unfortunately j don't think so.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I was just out tinkering with the mower again, trying to figure out RPM issues. I adjusted the throttle cable both ways and saw no real improvement, it was best where it already was. Does this mean I should start messing with the governor linkage? I didn't see much to adjust when I had it apart, there were 3 holes in the arm, 2 of which being used. 95% sure I put the proper bits in the proper holes. Where should I go from here?

natenkiki2004

Threads
Well, I found the Tecumseh Service Manual which I had to read a few times to understand but I was able to adjust the governor. Got the engine idling at 2300 as per my cheap tach, it sounds much faster though, I don't really like the sound of it when idling with no load. With load it drops down to about 1900RPM and cuts decently, a lot better than before. I also stuck the bag on and now that the grass/weeds have a place to go after being cut, it performs pretty good.

But.... now that I've adjusted the governor, it seems like the throttle control does nothing. It's still connected and slides the piece which puts more tension on the governor spring. Kind of odd. Doesn't really matter though, as long as it runs and the stop switch in the throttle works. Any helpful hints?

I'll probably make a video tomorrow of it and I'll post it here.