42 inch riding mower (1742) won’t crank

2002sheds

Threads
If cranking speed is slow/laboured (even with a new starter) try improving the (-) ground /earth return by using a jump cable between (-) battery ground/earth and anywhere you can get a good connection on the engine.

!2 Volt systems are notorious for developing (corrosion/loose connection) a poor (-) ground/earth return. Clean ALL your earth return connections, making sure they are tight.

I do not rely on the earth return through chassis/body and install a dedicated earth return on all my own machines, running from battery (-) to any suitable point on the engine (usually a engine securing bolt) and rarely have electrical problems.
Hi Skippy,

All connections were cleaned, scraped and even sanded (where appropriate)…

Thanks,
David

2002sheds

Threads
I also think, could be an valve issue, check also if the flywheel key isn't broken (timing issue.)
Hi Tiger,

Thanks! I didn’t know about that thread — I will check it out and then know if it is truly an ACR issue. Interestingly, my question about access to inspecting the camshaft was not addressed, but I have since purchased a used John Deere, so I will come back to this as time allows.

Thanks,
David
Hi Keith, Lefty,

Thanks for the posts! No voltage drop at starter, and flywheel key appears to be intact. The valves are hydraulic on this model, so no a ability to adjust them.

Thanks,
David

2002sheds

Threads
Hi All,

Thanks for the many replies. I was in a jam because our rainy season was just ending and lots of sunshine and somewhat cool weather was allowing the grass and weeds to grow quickly, so I found a compatible John Deere D110 riding mower minus the deck for sale and swapped the deck, allowing me to knock down the taller stuff (VERY slowly) and cut the grass portion of our lawn.

I appreciate the responses and have learned a lot about the Kohler engine that came with the Scotts S1742 mower that all of this fuss is about. As soon as I have a few hours ( not right away), I will first do the slow rotation by hand to confirm that it is indeed an ACR issue, and then remove the engine and oil sump in order to replace (I hope) just the spring for the ACR, since the camshaft is obsolete.

I also learned along the way that Kohler engines are worth the trouble… and I hope to have a reliable lawn tractor (if not a mower) after resolving the issue.

Thanks again for the help — I appreciate it!

David