42" Automatic 19 hp bronco

AWESOME

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower runs fine until blades are engaged. Then it starts to shake and backfire. Blades spin erratically until mower eventually dies. Verified blades are tight and belt tightens when blade lever is engaged. Verified no clogs of grass or dirt trapped under deck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine
Put your finger on the governor arm and push it to slow the engine
The slower the engine the harder the arm should push back against your finger
Check that the governor spring is attached a they can fall off

AWESOME

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can see the arm/spring. Spring is attached and when I push on the arm it will "spring" back when I stop pushing. I did this without the motor running. Is there a difference between running/not running?

AWESOME

Forum Newbie
Threads
Start the engine
Put your finger on the governor arm and push it to slow the engine
The slower the engine the harder the arm should push back against your finger
Check that the governor spring is attached a they can fall off
I can see the arm/spring. Spring is attached and when I push on the arm it will "spring" back when I stop pushing. I did this without the motor running. Is there a difference between running/not running?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well let me ask a stupid question. IS there a difference between you breathing and not breathing?

AWESOME

Forum Newbie
Threads
on engine repairWell let me ask a stupid question. IS there a difference between you breathing and not breathing?
No reason to be a smart ass! Should I school you on how a semiconductor chip is made? That's what I do. I'm a novice on engine repair. I don't mind getting dirty and learning new things. Besides, I read up/viewed videos on governor adjustment and it is recommended to do this WITHOUT the engine running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry migraines do make me snappy some times. And I do get tired of outright stupid questions.

Apparently you didn't read post #2 fully or simply didn't understand what Bert asked you to do..

It said start your engine. So apparently it must be running.

I am fairly certain you have a single cylinder OHV Briggs engine. Download the service manual and it will generally guide you through the tests. Also these engines are prone to blowing the head gaskets.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When stationary the bob weights are withdrawn so the governor is relaxed and the only pressure comes from the governor spring
People get confused which they should not because anything that is governed ( including people ) gets held back , slowed down , restricted.
So the governor spring pulls on the governor and tries to open the throttle butterfly to make the engine go faster
The governor inside the engine works against the spring in a virtual tug-o-war to make the engine go slower
So if the governor s working, the faster thee engine runs the harder that governor pushes to lever to close down the throttle and make it go slower .

The governor arm is clamped onto the governor shaft that comes out of the engine and over time it can slip on the shaft

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
When stationary the bob weights are withdrawn so the governor is relaxed and the only pressure comes from the governor spring
People get confused which they should not because anything that is governed ( including people ) gets held back , slowed down , restricted.
So the governor spring pulls on the governor and tries to open the throttle butterfly to make the engine go faster
The governor inside the engine works against the spring in a virtual tug-o-war to make the engine go slower
So if the governor s working, the faster thee engine runs the harder that governor pushes to lever to close down the throttle and make it go slower .

The governor arm is clamped onto the governor shaft that comes out of the engine and over time it can slip on the shaft

So any update of how the mower is running?