Export thread

30W oil

JDgreen

JDgreen

In the past I have always used standard 10w/30 oil in my mowers, but after reading many of the opinions here I am switching to 30w before storing them this fall. Went to Meijers today, expected to find several different brands available, but the only one they carried was Meijers brand, and then only in 1 quart containers. I had expected to find gallon sizes available.

Maybe it's just my experience but is straight 30w that hard to find these days?

briggs

briggs

go to wallmart i get mine there

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Maybe it's just my experience but is straight 30w that hard to find these days?

Dunno why but I couldn't find it either, I was at wal mart. I would like to find synthetic.

D

Driller

We tend to stock up so we don't have to worry about buying it for long periods of time. I'm not sure where we got ours the last time either; might have been a local place. You should be able to find it, though.

K

KennyV

I run Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic, in every engine I have... Diesel and gasoline ... Liquid cooled and air cooled. Before switching to Rotella T6 I always used Delvac1 (Mobil Oils full synthetic diesel rated)

...Have been doing it for well over 100,000 miles in a few cars and trucks and thousands of hours in tractors and mowers... Annual oil changes in everything... :smile:KennyV

briggs

briggs

I run Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic, in every engine I have... Diesel and gasoline ... Liquid cooled and air cooled. Before switching to Rotella T6 I always used Delvac1 (Mobil Oils full synthetic diesel rated)

...Have been doing it for well over 100,000 miles in a few cars and trucks and thousands of hours in tractors and mowers... Annual oil changes in everything... :smile:KennyV

I have never used it ..Is it good .i am still stuck in my fathers ways he always told me that synthetic was no good and i never Questioned it ...But i do here it is great stuff .I am still using SAE 30 in all my mowers but thinking of changing shhh dont tell dad

K

KennyV

I have never used it ..Is it good .

Know what your saying... back in the early 60's I also ran 30W in everything...

Have been around aviation and racing for several decades now.. and the difference in multi vis versus straight weight is well worth looking into, especially in cold climates.:thumbsup:

Synthetic is great in extreme cold or hot....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I switched everything I had to synthetic in the late 70's ... and then to diesel rated synthetic in the late 90's ...
:smile:KennyV

Attachments

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Have been around aviation and racing for several decades now.. and the difference in multi vis versus straight weight is well worth looking into, especially in cold climates.:thumbsup:

I switched everything I had to synthetic in the late 70's ... and then to diesel rated synthetic in the late 90's ...

Your probably buying it in gallon containers or larger, correct?
I use shell 15w 40 in my diesel. Don't think I've seen 5w-40 synthetic anywhere convienent. where do you get it?

Attachments

JDgreen

JDgreen

go to wallmart i get mine there

Thanks Briggs...I do get the Mobil 5-30w in 5 quart jugs for our 3 vehicles from Wally World, will check there next time. Meijers does not sell conventional Mobil oil, only synthetic.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Your probably buying it in gallon containers or larger, correct?
I use shell 15w 40 in my diesel. Don't think I've seen 5w-40 synthetic anywhere convienent. where do you get it?

The local Meijers stores here carry many brands of synthetic oil and I'm pretty sure there is some 15-40 in the assortment. But I don't think Meijers is that far south yet. Not sure if Tractor Supply Company--TSC--is in your area either but if anyone has the stuff they will.

briggs

briggs

Thanks Briggs...I do get the Mobil 5-30w in 5 quart jugs for our 3 vehicles from Wally World, will check there next time. Meijers does not sell conventional Mobil oil, only synthetic.

no prob i get mine in the 4 liter jug ...For about 12 bucks ....

briggs

briggs

thank you for the info i will check it out for sure ...Now all i have to do is talk the old boy into it lol ..Hard to teach him the new ways

K

KennyV

RobertBrown;6995 Don't think I've seen 5w-40 synthetic anywhere convienent. where do you get it?[/QUOTE said:
RobertBrown & briggs...
Rotella T6 only available in 5W40 now made from Group IV synthetic base stocks..

WalMart it's in a bright royal blue one gallon container... best price I have found is $19 USD ...
Tractor supply also carries it a bit higher...
I switched to it, after a lot of evaluating, when Delcac1 went over $30 a gallon.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

RobertBrown & briggs...
Rotella T6 only available in 5W40 now made from Group IV synthetic base stocks..

WalMart it's in a bright royal blue one gallon container... best price I have found is $19 USD ...
Tractor supply also carries it a bit higher...
I switched to it, after a lot of evaluating, when Delcac1 went over $30 a gallon.

What ever happened to Havoline?

K

KennyV

What ever happened to Havoline?

they were part of Texaco brand...
I liked the old Red bullseye on the cans, they made perfect targets....
I have not used Havoline since the 60's, in a round metal can that you speared with a pour spout...

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

they were part of Texaco brand...
I liked the old Red bullseye on the cans, they made perfect targets....
I have not used Havoline since the 60's, in a round metal can that you speared with a pour spout...

I'm old enough to remember when oil cans were made of paper with metal tops and bottoms.:ashamed:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm old enough to remember when oil cans were made of paper with metal tops and bottoms.:ashamed:

I'm older than you because I still have several of the chrome metal spouts for those that were used to pierce and funnel the oil from those cans. :laughing:

K

KennyV

I still have several of the chrome metal spouts for those that were used to pierce and funnel the oil from those cans. :laughing:

So do I ... I remember that some of mine were painted, not chromed, what an improvement from the church key openers. Have to dig around some day to find them... they are most likely stashed away next to the buggy whips... :biggrin:

rmancini

rmancini

Wow! You guys just sent me on a walk down memory lane!
I remember well the times you are talking about - I still had hair!!:laughing:
Rich

M

Manny

I hadn't looked for it in a while, but since you mentioned it, I looked for it while at Walmart, and I didn't see it, either! Is it maybe because it sells through quicker in the summer months? I will have to check again now that it has gotten cooler...

Attachments

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I'm older than you because I still have several of the chrome metal spouts for those that were used to pierce and funnel the oil from those cans. :laughing:

The older those containers got the more they leaked and would colapse when you tried to run the spout through the top. That explained the blue paper towels at every gas pump next to the squegee.

Attachments

K

KennyV

If you are "really" wanting 30W to put into an engine... Tractor Supply has it in 2 gallon containers and 5 Gallon pails ... It and 20W detergant motor oil is often used in hydrostat and hydraulic systems...

O

oso

hi, can i use HD-30 oil Quaker State normaly use in cars? i always use Arnold SAE30 in my Lawnmower, but is more expensive than Quaker.

reynoldston

reynoldston

[
Now I have been using 30W non detergent in hydrostatic systems??? never had a problem with it. In engines I use the SAE 30 oil if it isn't synthetic, In my hydro transmission system I use 10W30.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

I too have one of the old fashioned oil spouts. I'm also old enough that it was how you opened cans of oil when I started working on cars; a couple of years before I started driving.

H

hitmanharleyk

Here's the best oil on the market IMO. I run it in everything including my truck, which I change at 22,000 mile intervals and have since it went out of warranty at 36,000. It now has 146,000 miles on it without a single problem. Every time I change the oil in my truck it comes out lighter than the time before as the sludge build-up has been reduced. This oil looks better after 22,000 miles than regular oil does after 3500.

I currently run it in My Dodge ram, my wife's Dodge Durango, Husqvarna IZ4818, Murry Lawn Tractor and a pressure washer. I do change the Wix filter and add a quart half way thru around 11,000 miles on the car and truck.

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles/amsoil_honda_lawnmower_survives_without_oil.htm

reynoldston

reynoldston

Here's the best oil on the market IMO. I run it in everything including my truck, which I change at 22,000 mile intervals AMSOIL Customers Honda Lawnmower Survives Without Oil

This is the same oil and filter change intervals I use for my car. This is what Amsoil recommends. On my mower and ATV's I change every 100 hrs. Amsoil is pricey but you don't have to change it as often.

K

KennyV

You can not beat a good synthetic oil... :smile:KennyV

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Im going to throw a spanner in the works.
Briggs recommends that a good quality engine oil with the right api rating should be used.
Honda recommend a good "multigrade" oil be used like 10/30 or 10/40 with the right api rating.
What I was told on a honda training course was that if you use SAE30 oil, it can cause the camshaft belts to slip off the pulleys on the GC range of engines.

K

KennyV

I think all the engine manufacturers are finally coming around to the good sense of multi weight... and many , even Briggs & Stratton are now seeing the advantage in synthetic... some just take a while longer to get through the 1900's ... :smile:KennyV

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

I too have one of the old fashioned oil spouts. I'm also old enough that it was how you opened cans of oil when I started working on cars; a couple of years before I started driving.

I can remember when stations got oil from a bulk tank and pumped it into a glass quart jar with a metal spout. Like this one.

K

KennyV

I too remember 'Bulk Oil", that was back in the straight 30 wt oil days...

I think the gum drops look better in it.... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

reynoldston

I can remember when stations got oil from a bulk tank and pumped it into a glass quart jar with a metal spout. Like this one.

This was back in the days when you bought gas the service station would check your oil and clean your windshield. Newer cars of today don't use oil in between oil changes any more and just not a need to check oil with every tank full of gas.