Repairs 3 in 1 wont tighten belt

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Troy Bilt 21 inch, Front wheel drive, replaced belt, cables, and spring. With adjuster at the handle all the way out, the belt still wont tighten to the front pully. Is there another adjustment that I am overlooking?
This is a used mower that my neighbor has that I can use if I can fix.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Alrighty then. Guess I'll just go to NAPA and get another belt. The belt on there now is the one the lawnmower shop said was right. Have to try something. Maybe get one a half inch shorter.
Will let you know how this works.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was going to look at the parts picture, but found out there is a lot of differant models. Lets start out with a model number?

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Will be hitting the shop tomorrow. Cut old belt, wrapped it around the pulleys and it looks like it needs to be about a half inch shorter. The new belt was supposed to be the correct one, but it also is too big.
Model numbers
12AV566 N011
Hope this and you can help.

:smile:

Band-aid Kid

Threads
There is a flat piece of metal running from the transmission to the mower body beneath and below the transmission pulley. Looks like a stand-off or something. It looks like I could pry this forward to increase the tension and then the tension cable would work. Kinda would roll the pulley/transmission forward.
Maybe get me a wooden block and try this out before getting the other belt. 16 bucks per belt is a little high.
Hope this additional info helps.

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Got a new belt from NAPA. PN 3L310W
Was really tight going on. Had to turn the blade to get the belt to slip over the front pulley. It's about a half an inch shorter. Seems to work so far. Everything appears to engage and dis-engage. Pulls strong on concrete.

If I get a problem from this, I'll let y'all know.

:smile::smile::smile:

Threads
Got a new belt from NAPA. PN 3L310W
Was really tight going on. Had to turn the blade to get the belt to slip over the front pulley. It's about a half an inch shorter. Seems to work so far. Everything appears to engage and dis-engage. Pulls strong on concrete.

If I get a problem from this, I'll let y'all know.

:smile::smile::smile:

I'm glad you got it working so far! :smile:

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Cranked her up this week and used it to get what the rider wouldn't. Ran it for about 15 to 20 minutes.Seems to be working fine. I don't really like the pull, it seems to spin real good but doesn't have a good grip. Maybe it needs off-road tires.