251K/260K motor loosing power under load

Clydesdaddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I got a new hydraulic belt and new hydraulic filter and it seems to have gotten a little better but. As long as you are setting still and engage either one or the other (deck or hydro sys) it will run out fine. Then when you engage the other it sucks the power down to nothing. Any suggestions?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have compression and spark on both cylinders?
Valve guides on Kohler Magnums have a tendency to slide out of position and hold the valve open. Great engines, but they are not happy running 87 with ethanol.

Last edited:

Clydesdaddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a Kohler CV22S motor in it now. How much difference does that make. Kind of acts to me like a governor problem, Maybe.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cemetery assoc that I am an officer of had a 260K and when the Kohler Magnum 20 had some grief at 2,000 hours I suggested that a new machine was a good thing. In 2012 they bought a new Hustler X-ONE rear discharge. It had been suggested to repower the 260K, but I didn't feel comfortable as there were no direct repower engines suggested by any of the small engine suppliers. As with any repower, there are changes that have to be made to accommodate a new and different type engine. Sometimes repowers need to have a lot of research before they are done to ensure that the package will perform properly. The 251K and 260K are oddball machines in the way they are setup and require more in-depth research. As these machines have clutches for both the pump and mower engagement, I recall that the primary thing was that the engine perform as specified and more throttle was needed before engaging both the pumps and the deck. I am not a fan of Kohler Courage engines having seen too many fail, just my observation.
You can loosen each pump input/output hoses to check for metal contamination of the hydraulic drive system oil. You can also raise up the rear wheels and with the travel levers moved into movement positions, turn each pump by hand to determine the amount of force needed to turn the wheels. I think that I used an air ratchet to turn the pumps. I recall having had to replace the relays and do electrical checks over the years and eventually bypassed the seat switch as it was frequently problematic.
I didn't operate the old 260k much, just when it was broken, but did a lot of maintenance on it between 1995 and 2012.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Clydesdaddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the compression is 155psi and 156psi. Book says 160psi is good. Has spark, plug gap is set at .025. I do not want to take the heads off yet. I 'm hoping there is another, Happier ending.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had to replace the fuel pump on every Kohler Magnum that I have serviced, and they have adjustable hi and low speed jets. Vibration tends to cause the hi speed jet to close some.