251K/260K hydr. problem

Clydesdaddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
This machine was brought to me to try and get it going again. Here is the problem. When you engage to hydraulic lever it draws down the power to the motor almost killing it. When you engage the mower deck it pulls it down some but kicks right back up and runs fine. I have checked the pulleys they all turn freely and I am out of ideas!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine on these machines have an adjustable carb. Open the high speed jet a little, these machines have a tendency to vibrate the high speed jet to close some. I have the 251K/260K operators manual in pdf and the parts manual for the 260K in pdf. If the hydraulic oil filter has been replaced with an aftermarket one, it may not have the flow rate that the stock filter has and may be restricting hydraulic oil flow. What maintenance was done before you got this machine?
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Clydesdaddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no clue.. The owner says he can not remember when the filter was changed but it was replaced with a Hustler 026633 filter. I have ordered a filter and a new belt.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would make sure that the engine is running Ok and able to come up to full power. Look into the hydraulic tank to see if anything is abnormal. I'm not sure, but I think that the oil filter is installed in the pump suction side of the reservoir,10W-40 engine oil is used in the hydraulic system. I did have to replace the hose from the oil filter to pumps on a 260K for a local cemetery. These machines have very durable hydraulic system components, pumps and wheel motors.
If you would like manuals, send me a PM with your email address and I can attach the parts for the 260K and the operators for 251K/260K machines.
They are not as difficult to replace v belts on as they appear, but you need OEM belts particularly the double V belt.
Mad Mackie in CT