225-52 With First Major Issue

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, new to the forum here. Got a 2004 vintage 225 w/52" deck and 470 or so hours on it. Mower ran fine this spring when I first brought it up to the garage for it's spring checkup/adjustment visit. About a 5 minute run.
Installed a new fully charged battery and filled tank up with fresh fuel, about 6 gallons total, (all fuel that goes in this mower is treated by me)

The issue: went out this morning to cut the grass for the first time this year. Started it, and it ran for maybe 5 seconds and just quit like the ignition had all of a sudden been turned off. From that point on when you turn the key to the on or run position, the brake light would come on AFTER about 10 to 15 seconds, and at the same time the relay that's installed after the ignition switch would click. Then when you turn it to the start position, the solenoid would lightly click and all power after the ignition switch would go off. You can turn the key back on again and the same sequence would happen.
Taking a test meter, all power is constant up to the ignition switch, 12.5V. All fuses are ok, and even switched the 30 ampers out with new ones with no difference. Bought a new relay and switched them (2) out with the new one with no differences.
What throws me is the 10 to 15 second delay after turning the ignition switch on for the power to activate the brake warning light which should come on right when the key is turned on and allow power to the rest of the system.

Any ideas? Maybe the ignition switch?

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Figured it out. Brand new WalMart battery with no amperage capacity, combined with a bad ignition switch = no juice to the starter relays.