Engine 20hp twin V Briggs & Stratton engine

jtm3885

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently, this engine started running rough after some use. The big problem is that this issue is sporatic. Sometimes it runs great, sometimes I need to run with full choke to keep it running. I have changed the fuel filter, fuel lines, pump and sprayed a can of carb cleaner in it. I also removed the gas tank and made certain it is clean of debris. I took it to a shop and ,of course, it ran fine and they charged me 60.00 to tell me nothing was wrong. Any ideas, similar problems????

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all get a new repair shop, the one you went to give us all a bad reputation. $60 to tell you nothings wrong is just plain wrong. This is what I suggest you do. Get a can of SeaFoam and with a full fuel tank, dump half the can in and use the unit. You may have to do this twice. If the problem still persists, you are going to need to have the carb ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt, by yourself or at a different shop.

jtm3885

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info, but I have already tried that - twice. What is causing this problem to be intermittent. My son was using the mower the other day and started having trouble. He started "jiggling" a wire connected to the bottom of the carb and the engine started running smooth. Coincident????

I will never have another Troy Bilt anything!!!!! Have also spent a small fortune on the front end/stearing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say you found the problem area, now you need to figure out the cause. If the fuel solenoid plug has two wires the second wire goes to ground, check that it is clean and tight. If has a single wire, check the connection.

jtm3885

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK. We've checked the wire and are still having trouble.
It runs ok for about 20 - 30 minutes then starts running rough. Need to pull full choke to get it to smooth out. From there on it is full choke, then no choke.
Its aggravating that the problem is not consistent. I'm beginning to think the only solution may be some C4.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try this, but it will not be easy. Clamp off the fuel line, disconnect the wire going to the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. Remove the fuel solenoid and clean it very well. There will be three parts that must be very clean, body, plunger and spring. After cleaning, reassemble and give it a try. When you post the results, tell us if you have a 1 or 2 wire solenoid.

danbo

Threads
sounds like vapor lock to me, it gets hot and the fuel will boil in the fuel line, are you running low or hi octane fuel? low octane fuel will boil at a lower temp. i have had this happen to me. if it is vapor lock you can insulate the fuel line from the heat, or, i just run the good gas non ethanol 91+ octane.

jtm3885

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivet & danbo.
I will work on the solenoid. It is a 2 wire hook-up.
Also, I am going to replace the fuel line with a longer one and route it further away from the engine. This did start around the time the old hose sprung a leak near the fuel filter and I just cut the end off shortening the hose, pulling it closer to the motor.
Thanks again for all your suggestions!!!

jtm3885

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, here's the latest.
We removed the solenoid and cleaned with carb cleaner. Didn't appear dirty/gummy. re-installed and attached 2 wire connector. Mowed 1 acre yard without any engine issues. I am hopeful this is the end of the trouble. If not, we will be changing gasoline brand/octane.
Thanks for everyone's help.