20HP stalling

mevslawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
my riding mower will ride fine but once I engaged the blade it will die.....however, in neutral, the engine runs fine even if the blades are engaged....I would move the gear to forward and once I let the clutch go, the engine will die....

Basically, if in forward with clutch released and blade engaged, the engine will shut off....any thoughts.....thanks

someone mentioned its the seat safety switch, but I'm not sure

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
my riding mower will ride fine but once I engaged the blade it will die.....however, in neutral, the engine runs fine even if the blades are engaged....I would move the gear to forward and once I let the clutch go, the engine will die....

Basically, if in forward with clutch released and blade engaged, the engine will shut off....any thoughts.....thanks

someone mentioned its the seat safety switch, but I'm not sure

It does sound like s safety switch problem.
You have a safety circuit so that if the machine is working and you fall off, the machine shuts down.
Check connections at all switches.
Chevk switches are working correctly.

mevslawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
looks like you're right....the panel by the seat has a lever for neutral, forward and reverse....if that lever touches the metal hook underneath the panel, the engine shuts off....when I put the mower in forward with the blade engaged, the lever touches the hook and everything shuts off....

I disconnect the yellow wire that connects to the hook and everything works great....I recall openning the panel to look at how the cables are wired and I thought I put everything back to normal, now I'm not so sure....

I have attached a sketch of the panel (top view and side view)....what is this design for....is the hook suppose to touch the lever when in forward mode.....

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 11

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
looks like you're right....the panel by the seat has a lever for neutral, forward and reverse....if that lever touches the metal hook underneath the panel, the engine shuts off....when I put the mower in forward with the blade engaged, the lever touches the hook and everything shuts off....

I disconnect the yellow wire that connects to the hook and everything works great....I recall openning the panel to look at how the cables are wired and I thought I put everything back to normal, now I'm not so sure....

I have attached a sketch of the panel (top view and side view)....what is this design for....is the hook suppose to touch the lever when in forward mode.....

No the hook is not meant to touch in forward.
That hook is the safety circuit so that you cant mow in reverse. it earths the coil so the engine stops.
Bend the hook so it only works in reverse.

mevslawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks, understand now....no mowing in reverse :)...... Now I can go back and debug the main issue of battery not charging.....