2023 John Deere X380 23/48 or 2022 Simplicity Broadmoor 23/48

Artist_Kayaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2023 John Deere X380 23/48 or 2022 Simplicity Broadmoor 23/48
Trying to decide between a 2023 John Deere X380 23/48 or a 2022 Simplicity Broadmoor 23/48 tractor.
Both are new, the Simplicity is last years model. I'm leaning towards the JD as it has a Kawasaki engine
and the K58 Transaxle. The Simplicity has a B&S and a Tuff Torq K57 Transaxle. Then there is the matter
of price, the edge goes to the Simplicity at $5,199 and the John Deere going for $5,499.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would go with the Simplicity. In this case I would put more emphasis on the dealer, than the unit. Always go with a dealer you have the most trust in, in case things happen down the road.

Threads
Trying to decide between a 2023 John Deere X380 23/48 or a 2022 Simplicity Broadmoor 23/48 tractor.
Both are new, the Simplicity is last years model. I'm leaning towards the JD as it has a Kawasaki engine
and the K58 Transaxle. The Simplicity has a B&S and a Tuff Torq K57 Transaxle. Then there is the matter
of price, the edge goes to the Simplicity at $5,199 and the John Deere going for $5,499.
AK:
First, I have 0 experience with Simplicity, so no help there. What I can tell you is that last summer I sold a Husqvarna YT42DXLS lawn tractor which I loved but kept having problems with tranny brackets breaking. It had an automatic locking differential - which I really need here. I think that was a 18.5 HP Kohler engine. Anyway, I bought a new Deere X-370, 20 HP Kawasaki engine, power steering (Oh God that's nice!), hydraulic deck lift, armrests, bumper, and 2 45# weights to compensate for loss of the locking diff. Over 6K, but I love it!!!

Which brings me to the point I want to make: although it's running perfectly and in great shape, it burns twice the gas the Husky did - about 1 gal./hr. Of course, I mow a rough, hilly, somewhat rocky 1.5 acres, and with 90# of weight on the back plus my 160#, so some increased gas use was expected. I can live with it cause I really like the tractor. Point is though, if you're gonna get a 23 HP Kawasaki engine on that even larger X-380, you can expect pretty heavy fuel consumption. Just sayin'. It will likely be, like for me, no real concern to you. And, again, I love it, even if it does have a drinking problem!

fj5gtx

Threads

Simplicity will make the lawn look much better, the rolling deck design is superior to a hanging deck. The Deere might be built a bit heavier duty, but I'm using a well used 20HP Prestige that I bought a bought a couple years ago.

Artist_Kayaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally I would go with the Simplicity. In this case I would put more emphasis on the dealer, than the unit. Always go with a dealer you have the most trust in, in case things happen down the road.
I do like the Simplicity but as it turned out the dealer selling it was a total clown show. I won't name names but we went to see the Broadmoor and nobody in the place had a clue. There were literally 4 different businesses in the same building with the same Name, just a different "thing" after the name (auto repair was one of the others). The place was a mess, literally, crap everywhere, a very small town local handyman vibe. They said they couldn't give me a quote, I'd have to wait for the owner to get back from vacation. I did like the mower and though it was last years model it was new so I gave them my name and number and they said the owner would call when he got back. He didn't call so I called them, they said he was in a meeting. I called the following day and they said he was in a meeting and that he'd call before the end of the day, I asked about the Broadmoor and the minion on the phone said they didn't have that one on the floor, it was sold. The owner never called back that day either.

So after more research here I looked for a local John Deere dealer, there turned out to be one much closer then the Simplicity dealer I had gone to. It was after hours so I called and left a message. Got a call back first thing in the morning friday and they left a message. Called them later in the day and set up a meeting time. This JD dealership is AHW in Hampshire IL. Truely a beautiful, up scale and professional dealership. Huge two story building, professional farm equipment outside, beautiful showroom, and the sales people had their own offices like you'd see in a car dealership. I discussed the pros and cons between the X380 and the X370 and went with the X370 with power steering and power deck lift. I added the mulching kit, they had a brand new one still in the crate, they're assembling it and installing the mulching kit (and will be giving me the standard blades it come with of course). It should be delivered Wednesday.

Side note, the owner of the Simplicity dealership called back and left a message Friday after I'd already purchased my John Deere, I didn't call him back to rub it in although I was tempted, oh and the Broadmoor they said was sold? It's still showing up as "in stock" on their website.

Artist_Kayaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
AK:
First, I have 0 experience with Simplicity, so no help there. What I can tell you is that last summer I sold a Husqvarna YT42DXLS lawn tractor which I loved but kept having problems with tranny brackets breaking. It had an automatic locking differential - which I really need here. I think that was a 18.5 HP Kohler engine. Anyway, I bought a new Deere X-370, 20 HP Kawasaki engine, power steering (Oh God that's nice!), hydraulic deck lift, armrests, bumper, and 2 45# weights to compensate for loss of the locking diff. Over 6K, but I love it!!!

Which brings me to the point I want to make: although it's running perfectly and in great shape, it burns twice the gas the Husky did - about 1 gal./hr. Of course, I mow a rough, hilly, somewhat rocky 1.5 acres, and with 90# of weight on the back plus my 160#, so some increased gas use was expected. I can live with it cause I really like the tractor. Point is though, if you're gonna get a 23 HP Kawasaki engine on that even larger X-380, you can expect pretty heavy fuel consumption. Just sayin'. It will likely be, like for me, no real concern to you. And, again, I love it, even if it does have a drinking problem!
Thanks for the reply, I went with the X370 as well. See my more detailed reply below.

Threads
You bet! It's the nicest lawn tractor I've ever owned (and @ 72 I've owned many). With arthritic hands/wrist and a titanium shoulder, the power steering alone is absolutely invaluable. Good choice!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A good dealership many times can outweigh a good product. Your experience is the exact reason I always recommend looking at the dealership before making any decisions when items are close to equal. Hope you enjoy your new equipment.

Threads
Thanks for the reply, I went with the X370 as well. See my more detailed reply below.
AK:. Helpful bit of information on the X-370

You will note in the manual that it's recommended that you change the tranny fluid and filter after the first 50 hrs. (break-in period), and that you must remove the deck to do so. Not true! But you will need a 12mm socket for the drains (2) and a long-neck funnel (a couple feet long) with a small end (maybe 3/8 in. or so) to deliver the fluid to the reservoir tank at the rear. Be really careful to not let any debris into the tank. Clean everything off around it and the drain plugs before you even start the work. Had it been necessary to pull the deck, I wouldn't have been able to do it without help (bad hands/shoulder), but a you tube video gifted me how to proceed without deck removal. Lastly, your funnel will need to have caps on both ends to keep schlock out of it between uses . . .

Another thing is, if you are needing to mow lots in reverse, you might consider killing the ridiculous "safety" feature that makes you repeatedly ad nauseum press a button to mow backwards. I did that first thing when I got mine home and have done so on every mower I've ever owned. Go on youtube and there are many videos on how to do that. Just takes a piece of electrical wire maybe 4-5 in. long to join 2 contact points. Your choice, but the feature is worrisome beyond belief.
Again, good choice!