Export thread

2013 Super Z

therev

therev

I thought I'd post a pic of my new ride. I really like it so far.
2013 Super Z
72" 35 hp

image-1386767867.jpg

RatRacer

RatRacer

Sweet ride!:thumbsup:

Is the backdrop its place of employment?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

2013 Super Z
72" 35 hp

View attachment 14033

Wow! That looks amazing! :thumbsup:

therev

therev

Sweet ride!:thumbsup:

Is the backdrop its place of employment?

Yep, at least part of it.

R

rander

Good looking machine. Enjoy it.

T

Tom59

SAWEET , and looks mean with the mag style wheels....looks like grasses worst enemy. :thumbsup:

wildwood cutter

wildwood cutter

Awesome ride! I just bought a sportrak super duty 48 and love it. I'm killing all grass in site with my new ride, but with that Z 72, you are burning a trail.

E

edd

how do you like the 72 inch deck? does it bog? how does it cut in wet grass and have you had any reliability issues?

therev

therev

how do you like the 72 inch deck? does it bog? how does it cut in wet grass and have you had any reliability issues?

I absolutely love it. I mow a big property and really enjoy mowing on this machine. I would recommend the flex forks for sure. I have approximately 65 hours on the machine and the only complaint is if I don't shut it off under wide open throttle after mowing it will after fire. I've tried all types of throttle adjustments and the only way to prevent this is to shut it off wide open or let it idle for about 5 minutes before you shut it off. I've not found any grass on my property that will bog this mower down. I still don't mow when it's wet because I don't like mowing wet grass, I just thinks its hard on the decks in general. I have a rolling terrain and the mower stills mows up the hills with no problems. When I mow on schedule I can actually mow with this mower wide open, something I said I would never do....lol

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

They are great machines in my opinion, nice choice.

E

edd

thanks for the info......it helps to have somebody with hands on experience .....city crew around here runs one to cut right of way

T

Tom59

What fuel you running in it? Why not make the dealer fix the backfires ...they can bend valves! You certainly shouldn't have to shut it off wide open. Call Kawasaki if you have too!

Love that machine makes me want to buy a bigger home with a larger lawn....well maybe not. :laughing:

therev

therev

I run regular unleaded no premium. I spoke with the dealer several times and it seems to be the nature of the new designed exhaust. The after fire is caused because of the exhaust temp so high after extended mowing. It's just fuel vapor igniting from the hot exhaust. If you let it idle for a few minutes prior to shutting it off it doesn't do it. Dealer told me most of his commercial mower guys just load them on the trailer and idle them down while they tie everything down and when all tied down they shut off mowers. It drives me crazy.....lol. Owners manual says shut it off at half throttle but it still after fires. I just shut it down full throttle and no "boom"

T

Tom59

Sounds like B-S to me. Brand new mowers shouldn't back fire they need to fix the exhaust then. That's my feelings on it , if it were my mower , no way I'd accept it. Call Hustler direct also. Long term they cause damage ... igf they tell you to shut it off at half throttle then it shouldn't back fire , period.

If commercial guys accept it doesn't make it ok. I'd try some different fuels or additives. Maybe some none ethanol stuff. I had a 17hp B&S that back fired I switched to 91 it stopped. For me its beats bent valves. I'd also keep making sure you document it when calling use emails so you can get it on paper.

My manual says low idle shut off blades , then run a couple minutes then shut off. Not half throttle. I own a different engine though.
Call Hustler , no results call Kawasaki......ask Hustler on facebook or twitter I always get better results when its public. :wink:

djdicetn

djdicetn

Sounds like B-S to me. Brand new mowers shouldn't back fire they need to fix the exhaust then. That's my feelings on it , if it were my mower , no way I'd accept it. Call Hustler direct also. Long term they cause damage ... igf they tell you to shut it off at half throttle then it shouldn't back fire , period.

If commercial guys accept it doesn't make it ok. I'd try some different fuels or additives. Maybe some none ethanol stuff. I had a 17hp B&S that back fired I switched to 91 it stopped. For me its beats bent valves. I'd also keep making sure you document it when calling use emails so you can get it on paper.

My manual says low idle shut off blades , then run a couple minutes then shut off. Not half throttle. I own a different engine though.
Call Hustler , no results call Kawasaki......ask Hustler on facebook or twitter I always get better results when its public. :wink:

Here's what my Kawasaki FX691V engine manual recommends:

Ordinary Stop

Move throttle lever to "slow" position.
Keep running at the idle speed for about one minute.
Turn the engine switch or the switch key to off.

CAUTION

Engine damage can occur from run-on or after-burning if engine is stopped suddenly from high-speed load operation.
Reduce engine speed to idle for one minute before shutting engine off.

That seems like pretty clear instructions from Kawasaki for their engines.
P.S.
You never really stated exactly what engine your Super Z has. And your "half-throttle instructions"....was that the "Hustler owner's manual" or the "engine manual"???

T

Tom59

Here's what my Kawasaki FX691V engine manual recommends:

Ordinary Stop

Move throttle lever to "slow" position.
Keep running at the idle speed for about one minute.
Turn the engine switch or the switch key to off.

CAUTION

Engine damage can occur from run-on or after-burning if engine is stopped suddenly from high-speed load operation.
Reduce engine speed to idle for one minute before shutting engine off.

That seems like pretty clear instructions from Kawasaki for their engines.
P.S.
You never really stated exactly what engine your Super Z has. And your "half-throttle instructions"....was that the "Hustler owner's manual" or the "engine manual"???

Mine was from the engine manual. Under load , it should never be under load , always disengage the blades. Even if the neighbors cat ran under there.
The throttle on Hustlers has it right on the throttle controls , where to engage the blades, where to disengage. I think there is some confusion there.
Shutting the engine off you always throttle it down first.

I'd either run octane boost or find a fuel that doesn't backfire. If that can be found make Kawasaki or Hustler fix it.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Mine was from the engine manual. Under load , it should never be under load , always disengage the blades. Even if the neighbors cat ran under there.
The throttle on Hustlers has it right on the throttle controls , where to engage the blades, where to disengage. I think there is some confusion there.
Shutting the engine off you always throttle it down first.

I'd either run octane boost or find a fuel that doesn't backfire. If that can be found make Kawasaki or Hustler fix it.

Sorry, Tom59, I referred to user "therev" stating the "half-throttle instructions", yet I re-quoted your post:0). I was really addressing his posts. Yeah, I've also read some threads discussing engaging/dis-engaging the PTO at full throttle and my understanding is "most ZTR manufacturers" recommend half-to-3/4 throttle at most. I think the "under load" reference in my Kawa manual was indicative of either moving(trannies load on engine) and/or PTO load. Either of these could be considered having the engine "under load", don't you agree???
P.S.
If my neighbor's bird-killing/rabbit-killing cat ran under mine.....I would engage the blades and rev er up:0)

T

Tom59

Sorry, Tom59, I referred to user "therev" stating the "half-throttle instructions", yet I re-quoted your post:0). I was really addressing his posts. Yeah, I've also read some threads discussing engaging/dis-engaging the PTO at full throttle and my understanding is "most ZTR manufacturers" recommend half-to-3/4 throttle at most. I think the "under load" reference in my Kawa manual was indicative of either moving(trannies load on engine) and/or PTO load. Either of these could be considered having the engine "under load", don't you agree???
P.S.
If my neighbor's bird-killing/rabbit-killing cat ran under mine.....I would engage the blades and rev er up:0)

YES , under load means anything engaged. Throttle instructions are pretty universal. Why would anyone shut a machine off under load unless panicked. I mean besides forgetting about the seat shut off. :wink:

Mine hasn't backfired.....it also mentions ethanol at 10% only otherwise voids the warranty if you use say 15%. I know the newer engines are better able to handle ethanol.
Hopefully nobody is ......that might cause some issues.

PVHIII

PVHIII

YES , under load means anything engaged. Throttle instructions are pretty universal. Why would anyone shut a machine off under load unless panicked. I mean besides forgetting about the seat shut off. :wink:

Mine hasn't backfired.....it also mentions ethanol at 10% only otherwise voids the warranty if you use say 15%. I know the newer engines are better able to handle ethanol.
Hopefully nobody is ......that might cause some issues.

My opinion on ethanol is if they say no more than 10% ethanol...any ethanol at all even 10% probably isn't good for it either...I run PREMIUM NON ETHANOL ONLY in all my lawn equipment and I think it's paid off...but that's just my opinion and as we say down here in the south "it may not amount to a hill of beans" lol

PVHIII

PVHIII

I run regular unleaded no premium. I spoke with the dealer several times and it seems to be the nature of the new designed exhaust. The after fire is caused because of the exhaust temp so high after extended mowing. It's just fuel vapor igniting from the hot exhaust. If you let it idle for a few minutes prior to shutting it off it doesn't do it. Dealer told me most of his commercial mower guys just load them on the trailer and idle them down while they tie everything down and when all tied down they shut off mowers. It drives me crazy.....lol. Owners manual says shut it off at half throttle but it still after fires. I just shut it down full throttle and no "boom"

Why no premium?

PVHIII

PVHIII

I would have to agree with Tom if it's backfiring you have a problem that needs to be addressed

djdicetn

djdicetn

Why no premium?

I, like you ALWAYS ran non-ethanol premium in all of my "small engines" before 2006. Then I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor(made by Husqvarna) with a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Intek. I put premium non-ethanol in it and it ran VERY rough almost dying at idle. Changed to mid-grade non-ethanol and it ran fine. Previous lawn tractor(circa 1993) had a 16hp B & S Vanguard....ran like a champ on premium non-ethanol. My auto mechanic told me that the carb settings/timing on small engines beginning in about 2005 or so(to comply with EPA Emission Standards) is why the Intek "choked" on the higher octane premium. I too, now, am using the mid-grade non-ethanol in everything with small engines(besides, the premium non-ethanol is getting very difficult to find and when you do it's $4.50/gal:0(
Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and "mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

PVHIII

PVHIII

I, like you ALWAYS ran non-ethanol premium in all of my "small engines" before 2006. Then I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor(made by Husqvarna) with a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Intek. I put premium non-ethanol in it and it ran VERY rough almost dying at idle. Changed to mid-grade non-ethanol and it ran fine. Previous lawn tractor(circa 1993) had a 16hp B & S Vanguard....ran like a champ on premium non-ethanol. My auto mechanic told me that the carb settings/timing on small engines beginning in about 2005 or so(to comply with EPA Emission Standards) is why the Intek "choked" on the higher octane premium. I too, now, am using the mid-grade non-ethanol in everything with small engines(besides, the premium non-ethanol is getting very difficult to find and when you do it's $4.50/gal:0(
Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and p"mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

That's stramge...plenty of gas stations around here that have signs posted that read "NO Ethanol In our Premium" but NONE that say "no Ethanol in our mid grade"...but there our some mom and pop operations around the lakes that don't have ethanol in any of there fuel but those are few and far between...never had any issues premium in ANY engine...just better performance..Not saying it's not possible... and yes it is expensive..BTW.. premium is down to $3.34 a gallon..just out ta curiosity what is it over there?

PVHIII

PVHIII

Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and "mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

I think it's possible you just got ahold of some bad fuel...not so sure about the advice of your mechanic.. if that were the case all my engines would be "spitting and sputtering"..but maybe that just had an effect on that make of engines..anything is possible I reckon

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

I would have to agree with Tom if it's backfiring you have a problem that needs to be addressed
Kohlers are notorious for backfiring when shut down all of them I have owned will back fire no matter how long you let them idle before shutdown.
Also most of the owners manuals read warranty they say 89 or higher octane if they ask you if you used 87 lie because warranty is void they will say your fault been there

H

Hustling

2013 Super Z
72" 35 hp

View attachment 14033

Wow, that is a lot of motor and deck, i bet that will cut a lot of grass per hour.. would be curious to know if you can really handle the ride at 15mph. It will be like mowing on a dune buggy. I see it has the flex forks and deluxe seat - should help. Nice!

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

Wow, that is a lot of motor and deck, i bet that will cut a lot of grass per hour.. would be curious to know if you can really handle the ride at 15mph. It will be like mowing on a dune buggy. I see it has the flex forks and deluxe seat - should help. Nice!
really interested in histler super 104 or the 72 would like to hear how it stripes

E

edd

i bought the red super z a month ago [ big dog diablo with 60 inch deck ].....i dont have any yards where i can go 14 mph ,at least for any length of time......i can cruise along at 10--11 mph on a lot of them .....the 60 deck is not ideal on areas where the ground is slightly uneven because of scalping......it definitely cuts down on my time and does not tear up grass when i turn like i thought it might due to weighing 1500 pounds.....my opinion is that an x-1 with a 54 deck would be the best setup for small or large yards......less scalping and still all the speed you can handle.....at 14 mph if you hit a bump you will leave an area either uncut or cut higher than the rest