2003 LT 1000 stopped dead and trouble turning over

johnjschroeder

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2003 LT 1000 stopped dead and trouble turning over
Picked up a used Craftsman this summer running on a Briggs and Stratton 18ph engine. Used exclusively for plowing driveway and has been garage kept all season. Before my issue she had been starting and running like a champ. Last week i noticed a dip in power one day then after 15min or so it just stopped dead and I couldnt turn over. From there I changed the oil/filter, added new gas and put in a new spark plug. Can get it to run for a minute maybe but kicks out bunch of smoke, then dies. Additionally I noticed oil on the old spark plug when I removed it as well as some underneath the machine for the last few days. Its the black oil that apparently didnt make it out when I pulled the plug to remove it ahead of adding new oil and filter.

I'm admittedly very much an amateur when it comes to small engine repair but any insight might at least help me not get screwed over if I have to hand this off to a shop in the area. Thanks,

Cusser

Threads
I have 2005 LT1000. For some reason I suspect the carburetor, like possibly the electric solenoid/cut-off, maybe stuck choke.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with the numbers off of the model type code tag. Could be riveted to the blower housing, stamped into the blower housing above the spark plug. Stamped into the valve cover. The 18 hp came in a opposed twin cylinder, two different series of V twins, and also a single cylinder configuration

johnjschroeder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lets start with the numbers off of the model type code tag. Could be riveted to the blower housing, stamped into the blower housing above the spark plug. Stamped into the valve cover. The 18 hp came in a opposed twin cylinder, two different series of V twins, and also a single cylinder configuration
I'll attempt to find them tonight when I get home from work and will provide tomorrow. Thanks,

johnjschroeder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll attempt to find them tonight when I get home from work and will provide tomorrow. Thanks,
I'm not certain this is will provide the info you need, but this was pulled from the owners manual
Tractor Model #917 272761
Briggs & Stratton Engine Model Number 31H777 Type Number 0202-E1

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm not certain this is will provide the info you need, but this was pulled from the owners manual
Tractor Model #917 272761
Briggs & Stratton Engine Model Number 31H777 Type Number 0202-E1
That would be the single cylinder OHV Three things that can develop with that engine. One, blown head gasket, two, valves out of adjustment preventing compression release from working properly. And three, Broken compression release mechanism on the camshaft preventing compression release from working.

johnjschroeder

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would be the single cylinder OHV Three things that can develop with that engine. One, blown head gasket, two, valves out of adjustment preventing compression release from working properly. And three, Broken compression release mechanism on the camshaft preventing compression release from working.
thank you for the feedback...much appreciated

Gord Baker

Threads
Time to Repower I think. Do a compression check and remove cover and check Valve assembly.

STEVES

Threads
how much oil came out when draining?