Export thread

2002 HUSTLER FASTRACK w/ 20hp HONDA not starting

A

ArmyAviator

I sent this Rob, the Honda expert; thought I'd see if any Hustler owners might have had this issue:

Back on 26 NOV I had starting issues; new spark plugs seemed to solve that and she ran better than ever. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago; she started but just didn't sound right...like the RPM wasn't as smooth; not rough per se...just odd. When engaging the blade, not enough power. Pulled plugs and found that that screw on cap that snaps into the sparkplug wire cap was very loose on one of them; solved the problem. It was running just fine 7 days ago. I just went to crank it and nothing but turning over. I pull the plugs, smells flooded, but no spark on either of them. I dried the plugs, made sure everything was tight on the plug...still no spark on either.

Thoughts? The engine is a GXV20 serial number: GJAD-2007687

How do you check spark on a coil? I am pretty fair mechanically; but not much exp w/ small engines.

Thank you.

--Bryant

M

MRCo.

No spark on either coil? So what are the chances both coils blew? So let's talk commn causes. Check for wiring damage causing a ground or maybe it's the flywheel magnet.

A

ArmyAviator

Thanks, MRCo...I'll look into that in the morning. To be frank, I can fly the hair of a $11 million UH60 BlackHawk, but small engines are new; as I said, in everything else, I'm a fair hand. So I take it that I just start tracing wires...? As to the flywheel magnet, I'll look at a diagram.....don't really know what one is. Thank you again for the prompt reply. --Bryant

A

ArmyAviator

I've looked at every wire that seems to be associated with the coils. It was running great 7 days ago; I put her up in the garage, tried to crank her yesterday, no spark on either plug. Turns over fine, air filter new, and I smell fuel. Could it be something with a kill switch? Both sides going dead at the same time....?

M

MRCo.

I just can't see the two coils going bad. Problem is a flywheel is a lot of money just to eliminate from the problems.

A

ArmyAviator

MRCo., are you saying that the entire flywheel could be bad...? Everything just spins and moves perfectly; what would make a flywheel go bad?

M

mechanic mark

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/engines/pdf/manuals/37Z6E603.pdf

Amazon.com: Honda GXV610 GXV620 K1 Engine Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Bryant, Check maintenance schedule page 6 and see if all procedures have been performed, all are important procedures to keep your Honda running efficiently. Valve adjustment, fuel filter replacement, spark arrester cleaning are most important at designated hour intervals.

M

MRCo.

MRCo., are you saying that the entire flywheel could be bad...? Everything just spins and moves perfectly; what would make a flywheel go bad?
Magnet gone bad.

A

ArmyAviator

Re: 2002 HUSTLER FASTRACK w/ 20hp HONDA not starting SOLVED.

A well-trusted local shop found that the coil on the #1 side bad; he said that it appears that the way they (Honda) wires it, that #1 coil going bad will prevent #2 from firing as well; the short of it is that replaced that #1 coil for $73 + some labor and all is well again. Thought it important to share.

G

gabowman

Couldnt help with the mechanics but always interested in learning. Glad you got the problem fixed without spending a bundle.:)

A

ArmyAviator

Glad it was helpful; I have saved lotsa $ on here! GREAT guys and very patient.