2000 20hp briggs surges then dies

RKWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok first thing, I believe fuel pump went bad and drained fuel into valves, then without knowing that ran the mower, white smoke poured out. Investigating found that oil and gas were pouring into the top of carb from what I believe to be like a vent hose from the valves. Changed oil, plugs, oil filter , air filter and thought I cleaned the carb pretty good. Fire it up, still smoked real bad from oil in the muffler, smoke cleared, idles fine, start to mow. After mowing approx. 50', governor starts to surge, then stalls.
will start with choke on, take choke off run 50' then same thing. Started it again, now looking under hood, appears that the fuel filter is sucked dry, get gas to fill filter half way, try again, 50' ish still does it.
Parked the thing and borrowed neighbors mower. Other day went to make room in garage, move mower, small amnt. of gas on floor, line at filter is wet and filter is empty. Oh yeah forgot to mention changed all fuel lines.
Now tried to run it, and will only run with choke on, take it off and stalls.

Could I have a cracked filter causing it to suck air and not fill properly.
It's not a bad leak, cant see anything dripping immediately, and everything around it is dry.

any thoughts??

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First, check your oil and make sure it is not half gas, that will destroy your engine.

Next, you should remove and dis-assemble the carb, and check the float and replace the needle.

If your air filter has oil on it, it should be replaced as well.

RKWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
been there done that as noted in first thread, took carb in to supposedly be rebuilt, he replaced O ring in bowl, put carb back on thought it was fine ran for about 1/2hr great, then started dying again, let it sit still while it tried to stall then recover. This lasted for another 10 min till I had enough.

What would cause this to happen when it gets hot? after sitting for a while then try to start is seems to be fine till it warms up again.

I'm almost ready to pull the fuel line off and let it burn!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Still sounds like the trouble is in the carb, or the fuel lines. If the tank is above the engine, disconnect and let it flow into a can,
watch it for a minute or two, see if the flow changes.

RKWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a funny feeling it has to do with the fuel solenoid, the shop checked it and said it was fine, but I have a feeling it's faulty. I will check wires and make sure it's not shorting out or remove it and put in a plug and see if it runs.