20 hp intek coil issues , i think i fried them ??

1ofU

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 20 hp intek coil issues , i think i fried them ??
Hello,

first post on this forum looking for some help , i have a zeroturn that i picked up for $65.00 in a trade deal well i traded a leather vest that i paid 65.00 for ,
now the mower was bought new a old fellow had it and it stopped running so it set for 4 yrs then i got it , i got the motor to start up and run just by by passin the solinoid . so the key switch was shot so i bought a new one , i thought they was all the same turns out the man son had rewired this thing before as the color wires did not match the wiring diagram i down loaded .
anyway i installed the new switch and it didnt start rightup so i crossed the solinoid and it started right up and was running fine then black smoke came out of the top before i could get the motor to shut off it fried both of the ground wires on the coils , the motor will run fine as long as i have both wires off , if i touch the end to the coil the motor will die , so did i destroy the coils and the altenator ?? the mower has 354 hrs on it .

my first thought was i was just going to rewire the mower with a toggle switches and a push button starter and by pass the the original harness mess
that it had on it , since i fried the coils i have rewired it with 3 toggle switches and a push button starter switch .
1 toggle for main power then a toggle for the PTO and a toggle for the kill switch .

Thanks for any replies
1 of U
Jess

DSC01945_zps0cb6a3ec.jpg

DSC01942_zpsc608d80c.jpg

DSC01949_zps61c02b68.jpg

Here's a video of the motor running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQwqlzH17Q&feature=youtu.be

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Coils look to be fine, quit trying to destroy them....

gfp55

Threads
Those wires are the kill wires, they are for turning off the engine. You need to get a wiring schematic for your model and find out which safety switch os what ever it is the is grounding out the wires. Your coils are ok or the engine would not run if they were fried.

1ofU

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those wires are the kill wires, they are for turning off the engine. You need to get a wiring schematic for your model and find out which safety switch os what ever it is the is grounding out the wires. Your coils are ok or the engine would not run if they were fried.

Hello,

i have rewired it with 3 toggle switches and a push button starter switch .
1# fused toggle for main power then 2 hot jumper wire to feed the toggle for the PTO and a
push button starter button switch . a toggle for the kill switch grounded to the frame of the mower .
there is no safety switches it had 3# 1 for the seat , 2# for the swing out arms / handles they are gone . .

like i said as long as the ground wires are on the coils the motor will not fire up to start
when you remove them from the coils the motor starts right up and both cyclinders
are firing fine and hot ..

i got this thing just for the motor for a log splitter wet kit as i run the splitter
off of a bobcat or backhoe . but after getting it it's too good of a mower to scrap out
just for the motor ,

my main mower is a 2013 JD 425 ZT

Thanks again for any replies
1 of U
Jess

gfp55

Threads
So if you need to turn it off, you have to ground out one of the wires? I wouldn't run the engine for very long without the cooling fan. Looks like you got yourself runner. Just trace the kill wires to see why they are in the kill position. So to speak.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is how the engine is supposed to shut down, when you turn the key to the off position, it sends the small terminals on the coils to ground,
and that is how it shuts the engine down normally. Usually, if you screw up and send voltage to those terminals, you have destroyed the coils, so
you sound real lucky. Just run those terminals to a separate kill switch that goes to ground/frame/metal/etc..

1ofU

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is how the engine is supposed to shut down, when you turn the key to the off position, it sends the small terminals on the coils to ground,
and that is how it shuts the engine down normally. Usually, if you screw up and send voltage to those terminals, you have destroyed the coils, so
you sound real lucky. Just run those terminals to a separate kill switch that goes to ground/frame/metal/etc..

Hello,

That is how i have it wired , i went back and removed the factory ground wire assembly to the coil ,
ran all new 12 ga# wires to the coils , i have the motor covers back on and it's running this way .

with the ground toggle kill switch in the off position it starts right up and runs very well , when you go
to flip the toggle switch to the off position the motor does not die quickly , it over runs up to 45-60 seconds or
so before the motor will die and shut down . i tried 2 differnt toggle switches and it shut down the same way .

on the ground when you ground out the motor by hand before when i first got it started and shut it off
by grounding out the motor it had a very strong ground ark when you grounded it out

now it seems to have a soft ark when you go to ground it out by hand thus the motor over runs for
that short period of time before it shuts off completly .

Thanks again for any replies .
Jess

here another video of the motor running outside .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJuUx4LxKRA&feature=em-upload_owner

1ofU

Forum Newbie
Threads
this motor was repaired , what it needed was 1 new coil , and a new ground terminal or briggs call it a wire harness
the motor runs on both cyclinders and shuts down when the switch is toggled .

so if you have a motor that will not shut down and runs on one cyclinder
when the key or toggle switch is toggled to the off position
chances are it the terminal ground ..

1 of U
Jess