1S 1500Z stalls

Maine cabin

Forum Newbie
Threads
MDL 5900615
S/N 2000229941
1S 1500Z
188.5 hours
This mower sat for four years outside. With a complete engine service, new gas tank, starter solenoid and carb rebuild the engine started in 10 cranks. Runs smooth idle or full throttle.

#1 The mower will start in the seat or not on the seat of the mower and with the seat switch connected, depressed or removed. The only time the engine will not engage is if the connector is by passed.

#2 With the engine running it will stall immediately if the parking brake is released or the arms are taken out neutral.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you on the seat when this happens?

Maine cabin

Forum Newbie
Threads
When releasing the parking brake it stalls either on or off the mower. I have only tried pulling the arms out of neutral while on the machine.

dwzkd

Threads
Schematic can be downloaded here:

Looks like you may not need to be in the seat to start it... but you need to be in it for it to move or turn on the PTO.

It looks like your seat switch (or the wire to/from it) is shorted to ground.

Note: you should confirm this on your tractor, but I think the normal position for the parking brake lever switch and the two neutral (lever) switches is considered the run mode. Handles out would close the normally open side of the switches. Same for the parking brake switch, when it is in the run position, it will close the normally open side of the switch.

I am not sure about the seat switch. It would appear that it should be "open" to run (but maybe not required to start)...

Hope this helps.

bkeller500

Threads
You probably have this figured out by now but I would download the owners manual and look at the electrical chart. Take it back to factory settings.........reconnect all the safety switches and connectors to factory design. Do not bypass anything. And go from there.

BubbaSam

Threads
When releasing the parking brake it stalls either on or off the mower. I have only tried pulling the arms out of neutral while on the machine.
Maine Cabin,

Actually I have a friend in KY that had the EXACT same parking break issue on the same Ferris. As it turned out it was the seat. You see, the bottom is made out of plywood and after setting out for a time the wood got wet and would bend, affecting the functionality of the seat switch. His neighbor took it apart, used a thicker piece of plywood and rebuilt the seat bottom and WHALLA... the mower works perfectly. Matter of fact my friend said its even more comfortable now. Hope this helps you out!

Last edited: