1999 Husqvarna YTH 150 Transaxle

jonesandjones

Threads
I thought I would post this for anyone that has a Husky YTH 150 tractor with a Hydro Gear 319-0650 transaxle.

I noticed my tractor was getting a bit sluggish when I put it into reverse. I looked up a lot of information on the net about this transaxle and found it it was meant to be a non serviceable unit and worse yet, the unit is no longer available. That said a number of folks have removed the transaxle, dumped the old fluid out of it and replaced it with 20W-50 motor oil. This seemed to work for many folks but I really didn't want to get into removing the tranny. I did however decide to at least take a look at the thing so I removed the rear panel on the frame. (The one that the bypass control lever sticks through). There was only 4 bolts holding it in place so I figured what the heck...

Low and behold, once I pulled the panel off, the tranny was sitting right there and the breather tube was a cinch to pull off. I simply removed the breather nut and tube (plastic breather nut with rubber tube on top) and used a small outboard motor lower unit hand pump to pump the old oil out. It was really nasty after 300+ hours. I wasn't able to get every last bit of oil out but I did get most of it. The manufacture says the unit holds 81 oz of fluid or just over 2 liters. I filled a 2 liter bottle almost to the top so I figure I removed well over 75% of the old oil. I can change the oil again after a few hours of running to dilute the little bit of old oil that was left. I used the cheapest oil I could find and I want to make 2 or 3 changes over the next 10 hours or so. Then I will replace the oil with a full synthetic...

The whole project took about 45 minutes.

Just remember to be careful not to let any dirt get into the tranny and fill it to 1 1/8" from the top. Don't over fill it!

JJ

phcaan

Threads
I thought I would post this for anyone that has a Husky YTH 150 tractor with a Hydro Gear 319-0650 transaxle.

I noticed my tractor was getting a bit sluggish when I put it into reverse. I looked up a lot of information on the net about this transaxle and found it it was meant to be a non serviceable unit and worse yet, the unit is no longer available. That said a number of folks have removed the transaxle, dumped the old fluid out of it and replaced it with 20W-50 motor oil. This seemed to work for many folks but I really didn't want to get into removing the tranny. I did however decide to at least take a look at the thing so I removed the rear panel on the frame. (The one that the bypass control lever sticks through). There was only 4 bolts holding it in place so I figured what the heck...

Low and behold, once I pulled the panel off, the tranny was sitting right there and the breather tube was a cinch to pull off. I simply removed the breather nut and tube (plastic breather nut with rubber tube on top) and used a small outboard motor lower unit hand pump to pump the old oil out. It was really nasty after 300+ hours. I wasn't able to get every last bit of oil out but I did get most of it. The manufacture says the unit holds 81 oz of fluid or just over 2 liters. I filled a 2 liter bottle almost to the top so I figure I removed well over 75% of the old oil. I can change the oil again after a few hours of running to dilute the little bit of old oil that was left. I used the cheapest oil I could find and I want to make 2 or 3 changes over the next 10 hours or so. Then I will replace the oil with a full synthetic...

The whole project took about 45 minutes.

Just remember to be careful not to let any dirt get into the tranny and fill it to 1 1/8" from the top. Don't over fill it!

JJ

Thanks for taking the time to post this, it may be of help to a lot of folks who have the same problem. My tractor is a 2011 GTH27V52LS and the dealer told me that the trans was "factory sealed" and non serviceable. Upon investigating I found that the Hydro Gear trans has a spin-on type filter and is indeed serviceable. I found a manual on line that recommends oil change at 100 hours and every 400 hours thereafter, so much for non serviceable.

jonesandjones

Threads
Thanks for taking the time to post this, it may be of help to a lot of folks who have the same problem. My tractor is a 2011 GTH27V52LS and the dealer told me that the trans was "factory sealed" and non serviceable. Upon investigating I found that the Hydro Gear trans has a spin-on type filter and is indeed serviceable. I found a manual on line that recommends oil change at 100 hours and every 400 hours thereafter, so much for non serviceable.

Yep, That's just what I said. It really frosts me that these companies sell a $2K+ piece of equipment with a "throw away" transmission. At least I know now the little Husky can be kept running for years to come or at least as long as parts are available.

That said I really need a ZTR for my lawn. It's about an acre and I have a lot of trees and tight turns in the yard. Not ideal for a tractor so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new commercial grade Gravely ZTR. No more homeowner grade equipment for this kid!

By the way my little Husky runs great now so I also replaced the steering assy as it was badly worn. The little mower runs and handles like new and I will most likely pass it on to my Brother.