1990 Walker MC rear gearbox

hardaway1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just in case the post I made on another forum was old, here it is again..

.I just joined the forum with the intention of finding out some more information about my 1990 walker MC with the Kohler 16 HP that I just bought from a family friend for 700. It is the exact same setup as Waynard, but apparently has not been as great an investment as Waynard痴. It had been sitting in their garage for about 2 years when I picked it up. The first engine it had in it blew up, the guy I bought it from could not remember exactly how or why it blew, the second engine has been in there for about 6 years and I started doing a major cleaning and overhauling, that lead me to find out that the cylinder was worn down pretty bad, so it was either grind down the cylinder to fit a larger head or just buy a new head and rings etc. So I took it and had it grinded down for 800 and it is running beautifully (only the engine though). As soon as I put the engine back in and started cutting again, after about 2 cuttings, the T-gearbox (part # 6050) in the engine compartment that runs the magneto blew a bearing. I have taken the box to a couple of people who have told me that it would just be easier to buy a new one, but I find it really hard to believe I would have to spend 300 dollars on a new gearbox just to fix a 20 dollar bearing, granted it may need some new seals, but the gears inside are still in good shape. This is going to be the first of many questions to come, but does anyone know if it is in fact possible to rebuild this particular gearbox? If not, is there a compatible gearbox out there that is cheaper. It is becoming really hard to justify spending more money on this when I already have spent more on parts and labor than the actual mower. Also, does anyone think that I am getting in over my head with this or am I still in the realm of a reasonable price for this mower?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Although the bearing is cheap, getting to it may be incredibly difficult, impossible even.

I'd suggest looking out for a used gearbox in good condition.

hardaway1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I just came to the decision to get a new one. Every time I try and fix something it ends up costing just as much or even more. But, they sent me a pulley that was the wrong size, it is the pully that attaches to that 't' gear box that turns the hydrostatic drives. It was the right bore size but the overall size of the pulley was just a bit smaller. so now I have the magneto drive, the double groove pully that the motor is hooked to, and then this smaller one that turns the hydrostatic drives. My question is this, is the smaller pulley going to be a problem? I have already put it on a ran it and its doing fine, the only thing is that the gearbox is getting pretty hot. I dont know how hot those things can get, and if the two different size pulleys are putting strain on the gears inside I need to do something. And does it matter which sides of the gearbox is used on the motor and hydrostatic drive sides? Also, what type of oil needs to go into the gearbox?

Duffer72

Threads
just fyi all of the gearboxes on the walkers were mfgby pearless, any bearing shop should be able to cross ref brg # to one of thier brands. gaskets should be available thru most dealers or on line.

Duffer72

Threads
Missed one of your questions, the gear boxes all have a removeable cover plate, on which there is a removeable plug, the plu should always be on top or at least at the top on the side if mounted that way, this is a fill hole for fliud, we always used 90 gear oil in them and that is what is in mine now, never had a problem with it, have heard of people mixing snapper "OO" grease and 90 weight in them.

here is a link for the gear box service manual, your boxes are covered from around page 93

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/Peerless_Tecumseh_Drive_Systems.pdf

Last edited: