19 hp kohler courage engine blowing oil up thru aircleaner

sparg45

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 19 hp kohler courage engine blowing oil up thru aircleaner
Sirs:

My 6 yr old troy-bilt with 19 hp kohler engine was blowing oil thru the air cleaner, blowing blue smoke, then shutting off.
Took it back to Lowe's for repair last year and they did a tune-up.

Ran for 1 season, and now is doing the same thing.
Can you help?

Bob

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly a bad head gasket, not too hard to fix. Post the model and spec numbers off of your engine.

sparg45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fish: OK, thanks. I'll have to get it when I get back to Deep Creek where it is stored. I'll definitely repost the info.
Bob

dodgefate

Threads
Sounds to me like a bad breather element or bad rings.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing to check is your oil level, make sure it is not overfull and mixed with gasoline. If it is, then you need to rebuild the carb, change the oil and all filters, and then put on an inline fuel shutoff to use when the mower is parked.

sparg45

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing to check is your oil level, make sure it is not overfull and mixed with gasoline. If it is, then you need to rebuild the carb, change the oil and all filters, and then put on an inline fuel shutoff to use when the mower is parked.

Actually, I'm low now on oil. Bought new oil, all filters (although they were just changed and only had 4 hours use on them) and will try again.

Thanks, will repost later..
Bob

Nitro10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your fuel selinoid, is it working, it will let your gas into your oil and then blow back as oil, just a mixture of both. Check your oil for gas in it, take a match, pull your dip stick and stick fire to end where the oil shows, if it flames up, you have gas in it. The selinoid is a anti backfire item. If you have gas in oil, change you oil and filter, pull the selinoid out. It is the round deal on your bowl and you have to disconnect the wire. Leave bowl on carb and put finger over hole where selinoid came from and have someone to start you engine while you block the gas. If this cranks your engine your selinoid is bad. Either buy new selinoid or cut the tip off the one you pulled out as low as you can and reinstall it but do not hook it up. Buy a fuel shut off valve and install it in line. When you kill the engine, shut the fuel shutoff first and let idle for a minute, then kill engine and it should not backfire. You will have to kill your drivers seat to be able to get off while running. You can use this way or buy new selinoid but do put a shutoff on gas line.

Nitro10

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to tell you to also check your carb for bad needle, see if it is closing, if not and you have a bad fuel switch it will let gas into engine. But I would still add a inline fuel shut off and use it every time as it could have it happen future. Also set float for leak and setting.