18.5 B&S ELS 500 cranking hard.

jhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a LT1018 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 18.5 briggs ELS 500 on it. Recieved this mower from my mother, in hopes of getting it back up and mowing for her.
It cranks eradictly, sometimes barely at all, half turn. Sometimes it will start right up and run like a champ. I have put a 275 cca battery on it thinking that was it, but it didn't help. Makes no difference if its a 200 or 275 cca, still does the same thing. Yesterday afternoon I tried to start it for about 5 mins, nothing but hard slow cranks acting like the battery was weak. I left it be for around an hour and decided to try again, fired right up with no hestiation, drove it around turned it off several times and never had an issue. But i'm sure today i can try and start it and it will be hard and slow again. Is this the valve settings off? Any help would be appreciated very much.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a LT1018 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 18.5 briggs ELS 500 on it. Recieved this mower from my mother, in hopes of getting it back up and mowing for her.
It cranks eradictly, sometimes barely at all, half turn. Sometimes it will start right up and run like a champ. I have put a 275 cca battery on it thinking that was it, but it didn't help. Makes no difference if its a 200 or 275 cca, still does the same thing. Yesterday afternoon I tried to start it for about 5 mins, nothing but hard slow cranks acting like the battery was weak. I left it be for around an hour and decided to try again, fired right up with no hestiation, drove it around turned it off several times and never had an issue. But i'm sure today i can try and start it and it will be hard and slow again. Is this the valve settings off? Any help would be appreciated very much.

Check all wiring connections on positive and negative side. Clean ground to frame. make sure the wiring is not broken. for example the clamp that's on the battery may have been tightened on the wire side so tightly that it cut through the wires...or it could be so loose that the contact is weak. ground to frame...rusty...etc.

Maybe bad solenoid.

Bod

Threads
Dont want to scare you but, if it cranks to the compression stoke and stops and you can manually turn the fly wheel past that point and it does the same thing when you crank again, it may be a cam prob. But try all the simple things first.

Rokon

Threads
The model and type would help out on the diagnosis.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We have the common language problem again.
Two different types of "slow" cranking.
1) Starter sounds like it is straining, oft with some whistles ,squeals or the like
2) Starter just runs slow all the time like the battery is draining.

which one best describes your starter ?

Does it go fast then slow the fast then slow ?