17.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on a Craftsman Mower Stopped running

wornout4wd

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 17.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on a Craftsman Mower Stopped running
About 20 minutes into cutting the grass, my riding mower started running slowly until it finally just cut off.it took about 2 to 3 minutes to finally stop... could not restart it. Tried again the next day, the engine cranks, but not as fast as it normally does, and it will not start....it's run fine all summer. Replaced the carburetor last year.

Arwing64

Threads
If you turn the motor over by hand and you realize it is very difficult or impossible, the motor is probably blown. If the starter motor has a really hard time turning it over, based on your story the engine probably seized up. The main cause of this premature failure would be not changing the oil or not checking the oil prior to using it.

Let me know if you have any more questions or comments. I will be happy to answer you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check the oil, the level, the smell and the feel, let us know what you find.
Next try to push the govenor arm . It should push about 1/2 " then spring back.
As far as turning the engine over is concerned, remove all the belts from under the engine and then try.
Not uncommon to get a lot of grass jambing up the works or preventing the clutch from fully dissengaging.

And finally, exactly how did it stop ?
Did it seem like the engine was labouring & loosing power , did it stop with a pop? a Bang ?
And where were you when it stopped, on the flat, uphill, downhill, running a slope carb side down ?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Remove spark plug and turn engine by hand placing palm on flywheel screen. IF it turns hard, sounds like gas contaminated oil to me causing rod to transfer metal to crankshaft.

Walt Conner