Export thread

16" bar vs 14" bar

B

bckskin2

does the chain on a 14" bar get dull quicker than a 16"?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Yes. But not enough that you'd ever notice.

Just remember to let the saw do the work.

R

Rocky J

I think the wood you are cutting has more to do with how often you have to sharpen as well as how many times the chain touched the ground. Last summer I cut many green Hedge trees (Osage Orange) and could go all day and resharpen in the morning, then I started cutting Sugar Maples and had to sharpen three times a day. Same Stihl Chainsaw, bar,oil,and chain. I was told the Maples had a lot of dirt in the bark.

D

Dogwalker10

I think the wood you are cutting has more to do with how often you have to sharpen as well as how many times the chain touched the ground. Last summer I cut many green Hedge trees (Osage Orange) and could go all day and resharpen in the morning, then I started cutting Sugar Maples and had to sharpen three times a day. Same Stihl Chainsaw, bar,oil,and chain. I was told the Maples had a lot of dirt in the bark.
I cut up some old 2"X12" that had been a raised bed and dulled my chain very quickly. I was blaming the resin, but the dirt may have helped. I am thinking of getting a bigger saw to cut some bigger trees.

R

Rocky J

I have been thinking about this 105 cc Stihl clone . I have been buying Stihl O39 engines from them and so for no problems, about 11 days from China . http://www.huztl.net/Free-Shipping-105-7cc-Holzfforma-Chainsaw-Power-Head-Parts-Compatible-With-STIHL-070-Chain-Saw-p435087.html

B

bertsmobile1

Hurtzel are OEM suppliers to Stihl , Husky , Briggs & Stens so you ca buy stuff from them with confidence that you are getting a reasonable quality product.
However make sure it is actually coming from them.
It should be wrapped in packaging marked "farmtech".
There are a lot of internet vendoes who buy their "scrap" then onsell it as a good part.

javjacob

javjacob

Wont make much if any difference. Longer bars take up more power, are harder on the motor and are heavier though.