14.5 Briggs gas leaking into crank

Abosco14

Threads
Hey all,
Looking for some help. I have an mtd yard mchine 14.5hp riding mower. Gas was leaking through carb and into crank contaminating oil. I replaced the float needle and seat. The float itself seemed ok as when I shook it it had no gas in it.
After replacing the needle and seat I replaced oil and filled gas tank. No leak was present.
The next day went and checked oil and it was over full and all gas from tank was gone. So gas is still leaking into crank. Is there anything else it could be besides the float, needle or seat?
Any help greatly appreciated
Tony

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen cases where carbs would redevelop a leak with a few minutes to few hours after replacing needle, and seat. Most of the time it is due to the same situation that caused the first problems. Piece of debris getting under needle valve and preventing it from sealing. If the vent for the carb bowl is clogged can cause siphoning. So check that also.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That model is prone to that problem, I always put in an inline fuel shutoff...

tomsteve

Threads

cant say how many inline shutoffs I have put in, and not only on that model. cuts down on repairs comin in, but keeps my integrity in tact.

Abosco14

Threads
I have seen cases where carbs would redevelop a leak with a few minutes to few hours after replacing needle, and seat. Most of the time it is due to the same situation that caused the first problems. Piece of debris getting under needle valve and preventing it from sealing. If the vent for the carb bowl is clogged can cause siphoning. So check that also.

Can you help me with where the bowl vent would be? Thanks

Abosco14

Threads

I have no problem installing a shut off that would be easy and great. So when I install the shutoff do I need to run the engine out of gas each time by shutting off the gas valve to kill the engine and ensure that gas will not flood crank.
thanks

tomsteve

Threads
I have no problem installing a shut off that would be easy and great. So when I install the shutoff do I need to run the engine out of gas each time by shutting off the gas valve to kill the engine and ensure that gas will not flood crank.
thanks

it would be wise to do that. also if it sits for an extended period of time, it will help prevent the carb from gummin up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can you help me with where the bowl vent would be? Thanks

If you look into the carb by the choke plate, you will see several holes around the edge. the larger hole will be the bowl vent. The reason I brought it up is on some setups, it is easy to block the vent with gaskets, and such.

Abosco14

Threads
If you look into the carb by the choke plate, you will see several holes around the edge. the larger hole will be the bowl vent. The reason I brought it up is on some setups, it is easy to block the vent with gaskets, and such.

Thank you for the advice! I wont be able to work on it until this weekend, but Ill be sure to update on how it works out.
Thanks again
Tony